Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Protecting shingle overhang?

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:52:39 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

Yes, I have it on my new roof from last year. I don't know what they
call it but any roofer can tell you. I will call it a metal drip edge
but don't trust me and call some roofers or maybe a home depot or the
like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/14/2012 06:52 AM, Davej wrote:
On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max (www.buyladder-max.com) is one
choice.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 10:39*am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 06/14/2012 06:52 AM, Davej wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max (www.buyladder-max.com) is one
choice.

Jon

No, I have a ladder standoff but it is not effective for this because
the shingle edge is already on an overhang of several feet. Similar to
this photo:

http://www.aaffordablegaragedoors.co...out_large1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2012 1:01 PM, Davej wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:39 am, Jon
wrote:
On 06/14/2012 06:52 AM, Davej wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max (www.buyladder-max.com) is one
choice.

Jon

No, I have a ladder standoff but it is not effective for this because
the shingle edge is already on an overhang of several feet.

The Ladder-Max standoff arms can brace the ladder on the roof, above
the dripline, as shown he

http://stores.homestead.com/LadderMa...mhome/Page.bok

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stabilizer against either the fascia or the roof itself,
if there are gutters.

Yes, I have it on my new roof from last year. I don't know what they
call it but any roofer can tell you. I will call it a metal drip edge
but don't trust me and call some roofers or maybe a home depot or the
like.

The technical term is a "drip edge". ;-) The shingles should still extend
slightly, maybe 1/2" beyond the drip edge and can still be broken if you're
not careful with a ladder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 06/14/2012 06:52 AM, Davej wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max (
www.buyladder-max.com) is one
choice.

Jon

No, I have a ladder standoff but it is not effective for this because
the shingle edge is already on an overhang of several feet.

The Ladder-Max standoff arms can brace the ladder on the roof, above
the dripline, as shown he

http://stores.homestead.com/LadderMa...mhome/Page.bok

Neat!

Here are a couple of more from Werner. I think I have the one at the top.
I've had it for fifteen years, give or take, and it works very well. I always
use it when painting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Oops, let go of that one too soon.

The link:
http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDi...d=10051&rpp=24

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

First of all the shingles should NOT overhang the roof that far - but
the answer to your problem is a set of "legs" that fit the ladder and
touch the doof surface instead of the eaves.

You can make your own - see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCXPKFG2Xs

or go to:
http://www.amazon.com/Ladder-Stabili.../dp/B006C4VD04

To buy a better commercial product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:01:52 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On Jun 14, 10:39Â*am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 06/14/2012 06:52 AM, Davej wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max (www.buyladder-max.com) is one
choice.

Jon

No, I have a ladder standoff but it is not effective for this because
the shingle edge is already on an overhang of several feet. Similar to
this photo:

http://www.aaffordablegaragedoors.co...out_large1.jpg

For the gable end, have fun!!!! For the Eave side, the standoff goes
ON THE ROOF, not against the wall. The home emade stand-off could be
made with 2 different lengths to fit the roof slope, but I'd want an
outrigger on the bottom of the ladder as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

I just got the Shingles vaccine. I wonder if that would help in your
case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

I just got the Shingles vaccine. I wonder if that would help in your
case.

I think it's too late if the shingles are already hanging over a couple of
inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stabilizer against either the fascia or the roof itself,
if there are gutters.

Yes, I have it on my new roof from last year. I don't know what they
call it but any roofer can tell you. I will call it a metal drip edge
but don't trust me and call some roofers or maybe a home depot or the
like.

The technical term is a "drip edge". ;-) The shingles should still extend
slightly, maybe 1/2" beyond the drip edge and can still be broken if you're
not careful with a ladder.

I will look closer at mine to see if that's true. I didn't think it
extends that much but let me look first. I like the idea tho of the
ladder stabilizer regardless. Seems safer by the sound of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wrap and tie old carpet around the each of the top 2 rails of the ladder
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They're great for painting. They get the ladder about a foot away from the
wall so you can reach under. The spread also makes it safer to reach outside
the ladder. They can also be put on the bottom end to spread the base, though
I've never used mine that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:16:21 +0000 (UTC), mark wrote:

Wrap and tie old carpet around the each of the top 2 rails of the ladder

That might help prevent paint scuffing but won't protect the shingles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Excellent points to consider. I may buy one tho I prefer not to
really use my ladder on my 2 story home alone

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Two people on a ladder is not recommended. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I meant one on the base holding the ladder but still not really
wanting to climb 2 stories nowadays. I have back problems and lack
the balance I had when I was younger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sure, but my (intentional mis)reading was funnier.

but still not really wanting to climb 2 stories nowadays.
I have back problems and lack the balance I had when I was younger.

My problem is my feet and knees. Working on a ladder, particularly an
extension ladder, for any time is a bitch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave,

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles?

Before I installed gutters on our house, I would screw a 2x4 to the fascia
board. This let me lean the ladder against the roof edge without damaging
the shingles or the metal drip edge.

Anthony