Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default Protecting shingle overhang?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:07:14 -0400, "
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:33:22 -0500, "Doug" wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:52:39 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of
the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge
so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

You can use a ladder stabilizer against either the fascia or the roof itself,
if there are gutters.

Yes, I have it on my new roof from last year. I don't know what they
call it but any roofer can tell you. I will call it a metal drip edge
but don't trust me and call some roofers or maybe a home depot or the
like.

The technical term is a "drip edge". ;-) The shingles should still extend
slightly, maybe 1/2" beyond the drip edge and can still be broken if you're
not careful with a ladder.

I will look closer at mine to see if that's true. I didn't think it
extends that much but let me look first. I like the idea tho of the
ladder stabilizer regardless. Seems safer by the sound of it.