Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default upper storey overhang

hi all

I have done a search and could find nothing on this.

Basically, I am considering a small upper (1st floor) extension to
provide a few extra square feet to make dividing a big bedroom into 2
a worthwhile project. The extension would be supported from 2 exterior
walls and would overhang the external steps to the front door of which
we are the sole users.

House is of brick construction and we are not in a conservation area
(Lewisham Council - in case youre interested). There are some odd
extensions/dormers on our road, but nothing quite like this.

Am I daft to be considering doing this? Is this something that any of
you guys have heard of or done(!)

TIA

Pat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jul, 20:21, "
wrote:
hi all

I have done a search and could find nothing on this.

Basically, I am considering a small upper (1st floor) extension to
provide a few extra square feet to make dividing a big bedroom into 2
a worthwhile project. The extension would be supported from 2 exterior
walls and would overhang the external steps to the front door of which
we are the sole users.

House is of brick construction and we are not in a conservation area
(Lewisham Council - in case youre interested). There are some odd
extensions/dormers on our road, but nothing quite like this.

Am I daft to be considering doing this? Is this something that any of
you guys have heard of or done(!)

For a few square feet I can already hear Sarah Beany telling you it's
not worth bothering!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 9:56 pm, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 27 Jul, 20:21, "

wrote:
hi all

I have done a search and could find nothing on this.

Basically, I am considering a small upper (1st floor) extension to
provide a few extra square feet to make dividing a big bedroom into 2
a worthwhile project. The extension would be supported from 2 exterior
walls and would overhang the external steps to the front door of which
we are the sole users.

House is of brick construction and we are not in a conservation area
(Lewisham Council - in case youre interested). There are some odd
extensions/dormers on our road, but nothing quite like this.

Am I daft to be considering doing this? Is this something that any of
you guys have heard of or done(!)

For a few square feet I can already hear Sarah Beany telling you it's
not worth bothering!

Ah yes, but the few square feet make a box room into a more acceptable
size... 8ft*10ft sounds a lot better than 6ft*10.... See what i mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:11:07 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 27, 9:56 pm, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 27 Jul, 20:21, "

wrote:
[...]

The terrace of houses across the road from me was built like yours
would be in 1985. I suspect that they were architect designed - and
well designed too, I think they fit in well to the streetscape and
they are remarkably spacious

I cant help you source the plans but if you need a photo of "this is
the sort of thing we are thinking of" then let me know

Anna

--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 27 Jul, 20:21, "
wrote:
hi all

I have done a search and could find nothing on this.

Basically, I am considering a small upper (1st floor) extension to
provide a few extra square feet to make dividing a big bedroom into 2
a worthwhile project. The extension would be supported from 2 exterior
walls and would overhang the external steps to the front door of which
we are the sole users.

House is of brick construction and we are not in a conservation area
(Lewisham Council - in case youre interested). There are some odd
extensions/dormers on our road, but nothing quite like this.

Am I daft to be considering doing this? Is this something that any of
you guys have heard of or done(!)

TIA

Pat

No you are not mad. I've done something similar with an extension - it
cantilevers out by about 700mm from the ground floor. A timber frame
construction would be easiest

The issue would be the design as a whole and not the construction. Can
it work as a completely different design to the existing, or does it
have to match? These will be the planning considerations

dg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 28, 12:05 am, dg wrote:
On 27 Jul, 20:21, "

wrote:
[...]

Thanks dg, that is useful to know, agreed that the design would be the
key. Did you diy or gsi? What was the cost?

I am looking at a 700mm cantiliver, about 1500mm long and about 2500
high - standing room plus. Not huge, but as I said, it increases the
room size by about 700mm. As the sainsbury ad says, every little
helps.....or summink.

Anna: could you email a pic of what's across the road?

Many thanks again!

Pat

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 28 Jul, 20:39, "
wrote:
On Jul 28, 12:05 am, dg wrote:

On 27 Jul, 20:21, "

wrote:
[...]

Pat- Hide quoted text -

Its DIY. I don't have the costs as it was done as and when I had time,
and I did not keep track of stuff I bought or aquired from other
sites.

The expensive items are the cladding (cedar) and insulation 120mm
kingspan. The acrual timber frame is just cheap CLS. Flat roof is EPDM

dg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29289492@N03/