Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default single storey extension roof

I have a roof design to implement when my extension walls are
complete. The design is about 6 purlins running at right-angles to the
roof slope (shallow 12.5 degree pitched roof, more like flat roof
design !), supporting standard-sized roof joists.
On one side (a new wall), the perlins can be build into the inner leaf
and packed as appropriate, which is easy. On the other side (the
existing house wall), I have a choice of a wall plate bolted on
parallel to the roof slope, with either joist ends cut to slot in, or
timber joist hangers from the wall plate. On the other hand, what
about masonry joist hangers which must somehow me positioned and
packed to hold the joists level. I'm also not sure if the purlins
should be angled to the roof slope, or on the horizontal - this may
depend on the method of attachment.
What's the best idea (the plans are vague on this point) ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

What size is the roof, and what size rafters are you intending to use? Are
you sure that you need *six* purlins? With suitably sized rafters might it
not be possible to use just *one* RSJ to support them in the middle? With
regards to supporting them off the original house wall, bolting a horizontal
wooden beam to the wall, and cutting them into that is likely to be easier
than using masonry hangers.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 4:04 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Yep, all designed and signed off by struct eng.
Design (by me with help from this group) minimized roof thickness.
Roof about 4m in purlin direction,
5m in rafter direciton. Metal avoided for various reasons, including
BCO familiarity. (!)
Its just the purlin support that was in question. Beam on wall and
cutting in I agree should be OK.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from sm_jamieson contains these words:

On Jul 2, 4:04 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

snip

What size is the roof, and what size rafters are you intending to use? Are
you sure that you need *six* purlins? With suitably sized rafters might it
not be possible to use just *one* RSJ to support them in the middle? With
regards to supporting them off the original house wall, bolting a
horizontal
wooden beam to the wall, and cutting them into that is likely to be easier
than using masonry hangers.

Yep, all designed and signed off by struct eng.
Design (by me with help from this group) minimized roof thickness.
Roof about 4m in purlin direction,
5m in rafter direciton. Metal avoided for various reasons, including
BCO familiarity. (!)
Its just the purlin support that was in question. Beam on wall and
cutting in I agree should be OK.

Seems a bit like overkill to me too even if purlins one and six are
there as an alternative to supporting the rafter ends on walls.

FWIW my house is about 11 feet horizontally from ridge pole to wall
plate with only 2 purlins between them and the widest span is about 14
feet. OK so the purlins are substantial tree trunks but they need to be
as the roof is rough stone slates with an average thickness of over 3"
(That's the average thickness of the slatebed, not the individual
slates, most of which aren't much above 1" thick).

--
Roger Chapman