Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric paint sprayers

I saw an article on paint sprayers and wondered based on your
experience, which are the best for home use and why? I know most
serious painters don't consider electric but I figure just for home
use, it shouldn't be so bad. Things I'm thinking of ... ease of use,
cleanup, decent flowrate, availability of parts in case of repair,
etc... . Any gotchas when buying or using one of these?

Is it wise to consider it for painting inside a home with carpet /
furniture? Maybe a roller is still better??? Perhaps this is better
for outside use vs inside use? I know I spray painted a house inside
years ago with gas powered compressor and the prep work was a pain.
The paint job was gorgeous but we had to do the trim work by hand.
Back then, the house was missing the carpet so the floor was no
problem with the spray dust / mist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:10:40 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

I saw an article on paint sprayers and wondered based on your
experience, which are the best for home use and why? I know most
serious painters don't consider electric but I figure just for home
use, it shouldn't be so bad. Things I'm thinking of ... ease of use,
cleanup, decent flowrate, availability of parts in case of repair,
etc... . Any gotchas when buying or using one of these?

Is it wise to consider it for painting inside a home with carpet /
furniture? Maybe a roller is still better??? Perhaps this is better
for outside use vs inside use? I know I spray painted a house inside
years ago with gas powered compressor and the prep work was a pain.
The paint job was gorgeous but we had to do the trim work by hand.
Back then, the house was missing the carpet so the floor was no
problem with the spray dust / mist.

I didn't realize after checking Google that these sprayers can get
expensive. I saw some around $1000 and perhaps they can go higher so
I guess the question I didn't address is how much I want to spend.
Therefore let me just ask, based on light use, what you think is a
good sprayer for the cost? I don't doubt the $1000 sprayers do a
fine job but hard to warrant that based on my useage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was recently looking into this myself. I was looking
at doing 8 doors, plus future use for possibly spraying
cabinets, outdoor siding, etc. I concluded that the
Grayco Project Painter or similar fit the bill. Grayco appears to
have a good reputation and makes eqpt from DIY to
professional.

For painting walls, ceilings, trim in a house I would not use
a sprayer. I think all the taping would be a pain. Plus a
roller leaves a very nice finish. I've even seen the pros on
TV home shows using a sprayer to put the paint down,
then another guy using a roller to go over it for a better
finish. And they were generally doing that in homes
where construction had been done, so a lot less taping
was involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agree. I was about to suggest the same for home use. Graco airless
are great sprayers. I've not used Graco Project Painter, but would
certainly buy one if needed. I've used the larger units many times.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_320050-48690-257025_0__?productId=3160175&cm_mmc=SCE_shoppingco m-_-Shoppingcom-_-Shoppingcom-_-Graco%20Project%20Painter%20Plus%20Sprayer

....and stay away from anything named Wagner!

For painting walls, ceilings, trim in a house I would not use
a sprayer. I think all the taping would be a pain. Plus a
roller leaves a very nice finish. I've even seen the pros on
TV home shows using a sprayer to put the paint down,
then another guy using a roller to go over it for a better
finish. And they were generally doing that in homes
where construction had been done, so a lot less taping
was involved.

I see there are now 18" wide adjustable rollers. That would make
putting paint on the walls much faster.

http://bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=9315
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2012 6:10 AM, Doug wrote:
I saw an article on paint sprayers and wondered based on your
experience, which are the best for home use and why? I know most
serious painters don't consider electric but I figure just for home
use, it shouldn't be so bad. Things I'm thinking of ... ease of use,
cleanup, decent flowrate, availability of parts in case of repair,
etc... . Any gotchas when buying or using one of these?

Is it wise to consider it for painting inside a home with carpet /
furniture? Maybe a roller is still better??? Perhaps this is better
for outside use vs inside use? I know I spray painted a house inside
years ago with gas powered compressor and the prep work was a pain.
The paint job was gorgeous but we had to do the trim work by hand.
Back then, the house was missing the carpet so the floor was no
problem with the spray dust / mist.

Far as I know you have to extensively mask with paint sprayers because
of overspray. For furniture low pressure high volume sprayers are
becoming more common. The overspray is far less. I don't know if they
are useful for walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I saw an article on paint sprayers and wondered based on your
experience, which are the best for home use and why? Â*I know most
serious painters don't consider electric but I figure just for home
use, it shouldn't be so bad. Â*Things I'm thinking of ... Â*ease of use,
cleanup, decent flowrate, availability of parts in case of repair,
etc... . Â* Â*Any gotchas when buying or using one of these?

Is it wise to consider it for painting inside a home with carpet /
furniture? Â*Maybe a roller is still better??? Â* Perhaps this is better
for outside use vs inside use? Â*I know I spray painted a house inside
years ago with gas powered compressor and the prep work was a pain.
The paint job was gorgeous but we had to do the trim work by hand.
Back then, the house was missing the carpet so the floor was no
problem with the spray dust / mist.

I didn't realize after checking Google that these sprayers can get
expensive. Â*I saw some around $1000 and perhaps they can go higher so
I guess the question I didn't address is how much I want to spend.
Therefore let me just ask, based on light use, what you think is a
good sprayer for the cost? Â* I don't doubt the $1000 sprayers do a
[...]

The Wagner Power Painter is a peice of crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:32:18 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 6/13/2012 6:10 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

MOST electric sprayers are "airless" which is even better than HVLP
as far as overspray is concerned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have used a vibrating sprayer, and drips all over the place. I used one
of those power rollers, and I got it to work great. Good for painting large
areas, but cleanup, a pain.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:25:18 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

[...]

I tried one of the 'bumble bee" sprayers to paint eight interior
doors. They atomize the paint so it goes everywhere. I never got a
quart of paint through it, before I cleaned it up and returned it for
a refund.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know why people seem to have so many problems with them. I used
one - a Wagner - for close to 25 years before it gave up the ghost. Didn't
use it every day - or even every year - but all my passage doors were
lacquered with it; ditto all the kitchen cabinet doors; ditto numerous
painted louvered doors; ditto 5 pairs of French doors. Et cetera.

One IS able to adjust the degree of atomization just as one can use the
appropriate tip. Yes, there is overspray. There is overspray from pretty
much anything..

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The problem I had with both of mine is the piston siezed so the
"bumble-bee" stopped buzzing and the paint stopped flying all over the
place.

Paint sprayers John UK diy 4 March 27th 10 07:50 PM
Airless Paint Sprayers Kathleen Home Repair 8 August 5th 08 07:39 PM
Paint Sprayers Nigel UK diy 0 July 28th 06 09:23 PM
Paint sprayers Henry H. Hansteen Home Repair 9 June 17th 05 02:37 AM
Paint sprayers from HD/Lowes???? Richard Holliingsworth Woodworking 3 March 16th 04 03:21 PM