Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bid for texturing ceiling

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.
--
Cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cal Dershowitz wrote in
:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

I'd say that translates to about 42', or 14 yards, on a side...

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

You need a scaffold and light for an 8-1/2' ceiling?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/12/2012 06:50 PM, Tegger wrote:
Cal wrote in
:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

I'd say that translates to about 42', or 14 yards, on a side...

Sides don't matter on a ceiling.

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

You need a scaffold and light for an 8-1/2' ceiling?

Yeah, and I'm 6' 7".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:30:02 -0600, Cal Dershowitz
wrote:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

I'd say, just paint it. I hate textured ceilings. Only thing worse
is that popcorn crap that we scraped off in our house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

"Are you f'n *CRAZY*?!"

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

I'd say, just paint it. I hate textured ceilings. Only thing worse
is that popcorn crap that we scraped off in our house.

Great first step to a home theater room. Heavy texture, better acoustics.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cal Dershowitz wrote in
m:

On 06/12/2012 06:50 PM, Tegger wrote:

I'd say that translates to about 42', or 14 yards, on a side...

Sides don't matter on a ceiling.

42 x 42 = 1764 sq ft.

I was trying to get an idea of the size of the area to be covered.

You need a scaffold and light for an 8-1/2' ceiling?

Yeah, and I'm 6' 7".

Then you don't need a scaffold, you need a hard-hat, so you don't bonk your
head on the doorways.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? *Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

I'd say, just paint it. *I hate textured ceilings. *Only thing worse
is that popcorn crap that we scraped off in our house.

I agree that textured ceilings are usually best avoided.
Harder to paint and if you ever need to repair it, good
luck. On job after job, Holmes on TV winds up having
to scrape off a whole ceiling because they made a
2 ft hole in it and can't match it back up.

I'd also have to say that anyone that has to come here to
ask how to bid on a job like this, shouldn't be doing the
work to begin with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/13/2012 01:10 AM, Tegger wrote:
Cal wrote in
m:

On 06/12/2012 06:50 PM, Tegger wrote:

I'd say that translates to about 42', or 14 yards, on a side...

Sides don't matter on a ceiling.

42 x 42 = 1764 sq ft.

I was trying to get an idea of the size of the area to be covered.

I see. That's a good way to get a feel for it.

You need a scaffold and light for an 8-1/2' ceiling?

Yeah, and I'm 6' 7".

Then you don't need a scaffold, you need a hard-hat, so you don't bonk your
head on the doorways.

It's great to be tall for high work, but if you think about it, you
might understand why a lid compounds my trouble. I lot of doorways are
roughed in at 6' 8", and a hard hat is just what I need to really jack
myself up against it. What's worse is that with the lid on, you can't
see above as well, so you don't anticipate it.

I wear a helmet riding a bike, tho. I'm not too cool to be safe in
every environment.

I was thinking with this much area, I'd want to spray on the mud. I
have a hopper for that. Maybe I should work up a couple samples to show
the client. (Good idea, Cal)

Also have a long, 22" drywall blade on a long handle that could do the
knockdown from the ground easily. I can touch the 8-1/2 ceiling from
the ground with the edges of my normal knives, but then I'm at my full
extension, so I like to get to where my head is just below the ceiling.
--
Cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

I'd say, just paint it. I hate textured ceilings. Only thing worse
is that popcorn crap that we scraped off in our house.

I agree that textured ceilings are usually best avoided.
Harder to paint and if you ever need to repair it, good
luck. On job after job, Holmes on TV winds up having
to scrape off a whole ceiling because they made a
2 ft hole in it and can't match it back up.

I'd also have to say that anyone that has to come here to
ask how to bid on a job like this, shouldn't be doing the
work to begin with.

If you'd like to suggest a different course for my career, could you
please visit me 20 years ago and tell me to be a male whore instead of
an itinerant construction worker?

I've got another client with a crappy-ass popcorn ceiling in a room
where I've got the carpet and trim coming out. What are the best
methods for getting it off?

I've done it: once, in Minnesota. Do people have to worry about
asbestos in such circumstances?

Here in New Mexico, they have a pathology for texture that I don't quite
understand. Now that the adobe avec embellishment is fifty - 400 years
old, yesterday's enthusiasms don't look so hot, always.
--
Cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be
skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

I'd say, just paint it. I hate textured ceilings. Only thing worse
is that popcorn crap that we scraped off in our house.

Great first step to a home theater room. Heavy texture, better acoustics.

Greg

sound scattering would be important in this environment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:10:06 -0600, Cal Dershowitz
wrote:

I've got another client with a crappy-ass popcorn ceiling in a room
where I've got the carpet and trim coming out. What are the best
methods for getting it off?

I've done it: once, in Minnesota. Do people have to worry about
asbestos in such circumstances?

Asbestos is not a problem as there will be no dust to speak of. Even
if there was some, it is miniscule.

With a hand sprayer, dampen the ceiling a bit with water that has a
small amount of dish detergent so it acts as a surfactant. . Let it
soak a few minutes, then scrape with a wide blade knife. Wipe the
remaining residue with a sponge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

"Are you f'n *CRAZY*?!"

Right! At 8000 feet, 88 miles distant.

Doesn't matter - texturing drywall, unless you fully understand how much
more difficult it makes future DIY repairs, is a bad idea.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

And in most cases once you fully understand the issues and compare it
the benefits, it's still a bad idea..... Among the places I
would not use it
are below a bathroom or similar where a leak is possible, in a rental
property,
or where kids are involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just
been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and
it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

"Are you f'n *CRAZY*?!"

Right! At 8000 feet, 88 miles distant.

Doesn't matter - texturing drywall, unless you fully understand how much
more difficult it makes future DIY repairs, is a bad idea.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

And in most cases once you fully understand the issues and compare it
the benefits, it's still a bad idea..... Among the places I
would not use it
are below a bathroom or similar where a leak is possible, in a rental
property,
or where kids are involved.

Add to that an older house where you may want to do wiring as part of a
room redecoration.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Help with drywall texturing David Nebenzahl Home Repair 9 October 17th 08 03:06 PM
Texturing walls Laurie Home Repair 3 November 27th 07 01:45 PM
Adventures in Texturing Greg G. Woodturning 9 October 24th 06 02:53 AM
texturing drywall [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 22nd 05 04:06 PM
texturing walls WHoME? Home Repair 8 December 13th 04 07:16 PM