Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Adventures in Texturing

Kinda slow in here, so here is the latest experiment in woodturning.
Cherry Bowl with Hammered Texture Band.
Complete with lousy photography and lighting.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uredBowl02.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uredBowl01.jpg

FWIW

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Greg

Yes you're right, it's not easy to get somethings to show up the way
you like, yet other things stick out like a sore thumb.
Not bad, but maybe a smaller head on the hammer or some other way to
emphasize the texture a little more, would be a good idea.
I have a hard time doing this kind of embellishment, but I should try
something like this maybe I think.
Anyway thanks for showing

I think I will call it a day, time for bed.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Greg G. wrote:
Kinda slow in here, so here is the latest experiment in woodturning.
Cherry Bowl with Hammered Texture Band.
Complete with lousy photography and lighting.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uredBowl02.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uredBowl01.jpg

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Greg wrote in news:u0rgj29s0l33fnvgk94flh96f592530meh@
4ax.com:

Kinda slow in here, so here is the latest experiment in woodturning.
Cherry Bowl with Hammered Texture Band.
Complete with lousy photography and lighting.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uredBowl02.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uredBowl01.jpg

FWIW

Greg G.

Looks pretty good to me. Unlike most other turners, I get the hammered look
naturally. It must be a gift. I rely on bad photography and lighting to
showcase my work. Seriously, nice work.
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Henry St.Pierre said:

Greg wrote:
Kinda slow in here, so here is the latest experiment in woodturning.
Cherry Bowl with Hammered Texture Band.
Complete with lousy photography and lighting.

Looks pretty good to me. Unlike most other turners, I get the hammered look
naturally. It must be a gift. I rely on bad photography and lighting to
showcase my work. Seriously, nice work.
Hank

Thanks - it was just an experiment. Wanted a random texture look,
something that chatter tools don't really do. As well, I get my share
of chatter marks - deep, thin walls seem to be especially troublesome.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Greg, Here's another variation on a familiar theme. Don't know if
you have tried it, but some timber's shallow depressed textures can
return to the surface. NIP works for me, but someone here with more
experience can advise which timbers are best. Try some small shallow
hammer marks, sand the surrounding surface to flat & level with the
depressions. Moisten with water or better over a steaming kettle's spout
and see if the depressed texture now stands a bit proud of the
surrounding surface. ie. pimples (could be zits) instead of dimples.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Greg, Here's another variation on a familiar theme. Don't know if
you have tried it, but some timber's shallow depressed textures can
return to the surface. NIP works for me, but someone here with more
experience can advise which timbers are best. Try some small shallow
hammer marks, sand the surrounding surface to flat & level with the
depressions. Moisten with water or better over a steaming kettle's spout
and see if the depressed texture now stands a bit proud of the
surrounding surface. ie. pimples (could be zits) instead of dimples.

Write your name in bent wire, tape and tap, then sand and raise....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch said:

Hi Greg, Here's another variation on a familiar theme. Don't know if
you have tried it, but some timber's shallow depressed textures can
return to the surface. NIP works for me, but someone here with more
experience can advise which timbers are best. Try some small shallow
hammer marks, sand the surrounding surface to flat & level with the
depressions. Moisten with water or better over a steaming kettle's spout
and see if the depressed texture now stands a bit proud of the
surrounding surface. ie. pimples (could be zits) instead of dimples.

While I've often used this method to remove accidental dings on stock,
I hadn't though of using this technique for creating textures. I'm
not certain how the variation from endgrain to sidegrain would work
out - it probably depends on the wood. Something to muse about...

I'm not certain what NIP is, however, other than something you sneak
before holiday dinner with the in-laws. Northern Ipswich Pine?
Norfolk Island Pine? Alas, we have neither - mostly drippy longleaf
pine.

Thanks, Arch

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George said:

Write your name in bent wire, tape and tap, then sand and raise....

Interesting idea, one that I'd bet elicits a few "Oohs" and "Ahs" from
the peanut gallery. Restricted to the bottom of a piece, it would
negate the evolving grain pattern problem.

Greg G.