Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deep Freezer in garage, any experiences?

Southern Ontario Canada. Attached garage, drywalled but not
heated/cooled. Can go slightly below freezing during winter and reach
towards 30C in summer.

Haven't decided about buying a Stand-up or a Chest freezer, but will be
larger in size like 15 cu foot or so. Best place for our family to keep
it is in the garage but does anyone have any experiences with a newer
Energy star rated freezer kept in conditions similar to mine? reliable?
Did it shut down in winter, did the compressor overheat in summer? was
the manufacturer's operating temperatures claims near accurate

Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Anyone got any input, it'd be appreciated....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:06*pm, Duesenberg wrote:
Southern Ontario Canada. *Attached garage, drywalled but not
heated/cooled. *Can go slightly below freezing during winter and reach
towards 30C in summer.

Haven't decided about buying a Stand-up or a Chest freezer, but will be
larger in size like 15 cu foot or so. *Best place for our family to keep
it is in the garage but does anyone have any experiences with a newer
Energy star rated freezer kept in conditions similar to mine? *reliable?
* Did it shut down in winter, did the compressor overheat in summer? was
the manufacturer's operating temperatures claims near accurate

Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Anyone got any input, it'd be appreciated....

I’m in Southern California so I can’t answer most of your questions
but one more question that you might want to ask is, is it self
defrosting or do you have to manually defrost it in which case you’re
going to have baby-sit it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2012 9:44 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Aren't they all self defrosting nowadays? If they aren't, I'll be
looking for self-defrost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, *wrote:
[...]

No they are not. Sometimes they will advertise as self defrosting AS
LONG AS YOU PRESS THE “SELF DEFROST’ BUTTON which I don’t consider to
be self defrosting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2012 9:49 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jun 10, 6:46 pm, wrote:
On 6/10/2012 9:44 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

Aren't they all self defrosting nowadays? If they aren't, I'll be
looking for self-defrost.

No they are not. Sometimes they will advertise as self defrosting AS
LONG AS YOU PRESS THE “SELF DEFROST’ BUTTON which I don’t consider to
be self defrosting.

Thanks for the heads up. I assummed most freezers were self-defrost
because most fridges are self defrost, but come to think of it, self
defrost freezers aren't as common as I thought around here.

It's self-defrost fridge/freezers that everyone now has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 9:06*pm, Duesenberg wrote:
Southern Ontario Canada. *Attached garage, drywalled but not
heated/cooled. *Can go slightly below freezing during winter and reach
towards 30C in summer.

Haven't decided about buying a Stand-up or a Chest freezer, but will be
larger in size like 15 cu foot or so. *Best place for our family to keep
it is in the garage but does anyone have any experiences with a newer
Energy star rated freezer kept in conditions similar to mine? *reliable?
* Did it shut down in winter,

yes a friend had a fridge in the garage. If the thermostat is in the
fridge section and not the freezer, then in the winter when the garage
ambient is cold enough to satisfy the fridge thermostat, the
compressor will never come on and the freezer part will warm up to the
same temp as the fridge.

If you are talking about a freezer only (not a combination freezer /
fridge) and the thermostat is in the freezer itself and set for the
desired freezer temp, I think you will be fine.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 9:06*pm, Duesenberg wrote:
Southern Ontario Canada. *Attached garage, drywalled but not
heated/cooled. *Can go slightly below freezing during winter and reach
towards 30C in summer.

Haven't decided about buying a Stand-up or a Chest freezer, but will be
larger in size like 15 cu foot or so. *Best place for our family to keep
it is in the garage but does anyone have any experiences with a newer
Energy star rated freezer kept in conditions similar to mine? *reliable?
* Did it shut down in winter, did the compressor overheat in summer? was
the manufacturer's operating temperatures claims near accurate

Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Anyone got any input, it'd be appreciated....

I've had a 5 cubic foot, manual defrost chest freezer in my attached,
uninsulated garage for at least 5 years now.

I don't think it's energy star but I'm not home now to check.

The garage gets to just around freezing in the winter and in the
summer stays cooler than the outside air which can peak in the low
nineties but averages in the high 70's, low 80's.

I've never had any problems what so ever. I defrost it less than once
a year, but there's never been a lot of ice built up.

I was told that it runs most efficiently when kept about 3/4 full
which works out fine for us. We fill it up after a shopping trip but a
lot of times it's bread and other bulky items so it doesn't take long
to get it down to 3/4 full.

I say go for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 10:26*pm, Mark wrote:
[...]

chest freezers cost less to operate...... far less.

now my wife wanted a freezer so bad i finally said yes and we got
it... she filled it with all sorts of good buys but was to lazy to go
to the basement to get stuff. everything eventually got tossed out,
from severe freezer burn.

so i emptied it and put it in the dining room, she hated the location
but it did get more effective use....

but the freezer never saved any money on the food bill and flavor goes
away as storage time increases.......

I gave her the freezer when she left to become my X wife

2 dysfunctional things left at the same time

my advice DONT BUY A FREEZER, it just takes up space, runs up your
utility bill, and you get to perodically toss much of what you stored
in it.......

sad but true
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 11:37*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 10, 10:26*pm, Mark wrote:

[...]

Sad for you but not true for all. The reason we bought a small (5 cu
ft) freezer is because all we needed was a small amount of extra
freezer space.

We make sure we use what's stored in it before it gets too old.

It's right next to the door from the garage to the kitchen, so it's
not far enough way to be a hassle to get to
Posted to alt.home.repair

Self defrosting freezers and fridge tend to dessicate / dry out the food. I
can give the technical reasons, if you want.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

chest freezers cost less to operate...... far less.

now my wife wanted a freezer so bad i finally said yes and we got
it... she filled it with all sorts of good buys but was to lazy to go
to the basement to get stuff. everything eventually got tossed out,
from severe freezer burn.

so i emptied it and put it in the dining room, she hated the location
but it did get more effective use....

but the freezer never saved any money on the food bill and flavor goes
away as storage time increases.......

I gave her the freezer when she left to become my X wife

2 dysfunctional things left at the same time

my advice DONT BUY A FREEZER, it just takes up space, runs up your
utility bill, and you get to perodically toss much of what you stored
in it.......

sad but true

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:53:05 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Self defrosting freezers and fridge tend to dessicate / dry out the food. I
can give the technical reasons, if you want.

Even if it's really sealed in those "freezer bags"? Something like the
vacuum pack things? My father once worked for an upscale food delivery
service; they sell you the freezer and then you buy good quality food
and they fill it up. That was a great job, at least we ate well.

But all the food came vacuum sealed so it's hard to figure out how it
could go bad. Of course, my parents did make sure that we ate it
before too long. Mom was a bit of a nut about eathing things before
they expired. I tend to eat things well past their due date.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure deep freezers are self defrosting. They run lower
temperature than freezer compartment in refrigerators.
If so, they would take food up near the freezing point defeating the
purpose of deep freeze. I've got two small chest units and they don't
normally get opened more than once a day versus freezer compartment in
refrigerator that is opened often and uses self defrost. The chests,
maybe we take the food out once a year and get rid of the ice buildup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My sense, is that the plastic bags help, but nothing is perfect in this
world.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Self defrosting freezers and fridge tend to dessicate / dry out the food. I
can give the technical reasons, if you want.

Even if it's really sealed in those "freezer bags"? Something like the
vacuum pack things? My father once worked for an upscale food delivery
service; they sell you the freezer and then you buy good quality food
and they fill it up. That was a great job, at least we ate well.

But all the food came vacuum sealed so it's hard to figure out how it
could go bad. Of course, my parents did make sure that we ate it
before too long. Mom was a bit of a nut about eathing things before
they expired. I tend to eat things well past their due date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, *wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CMMBEPMCMAM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Self defrosting freezers and fridge tend to dessicate / dry out the
food. I can give the technical reasons, if you want.

It is called "freezer burn". The water "sublimates" from the product. It is
easily avoided by coating meats and other compatable foods with ice before
putting them into freezer bags.

I put my meat, chicken, fish, etc on a cookie sheet in convenient sized pieces,
spaced so they don't touch. Let it freeze solidly for a day or two. Then spray
water on the pieces, which quickly freezes. Turn them to coat all sides.
Re-freeze, then repeat as needed to get a good coat. Then put the pieces into
the freezer bag, suck out the air, and back in the freezer. They will easily
last 6 months without any "burn", and can be re-coated if the ice layer gets
thin, to last way longer. This is way cheaper than expensive "vacuum pack" bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:10:54 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Self defrosting freezers and fridge tend to dessicate / dry out the
food. I can give the technical reasons, if you want.

It is called "freezer burn". The water "sublimates" from the product. It is
easily avoided by coating meats and other compatable foods with ice before
putting them into freezer bags.

I put my meat, chicken, fish, etc on a cookie sheet in convenient sized pieces,
spaced so they don't touch. Let it freeze solidly for a day or two. Then spray
water on the pieces, which quickly freezes. Turn them to coat all sides.
Re-freeze, then repeat as needed to get a good coat. Then put the pieces into
the freezer bag, suck out the air, and back in the freezer. They will easily
last 6 months without any "burn", and can be re-coated if the ice layer gets
thin, to last way longer. This is way cheaper than expensive "vacuum pack" bags.

My dad puts his fish fillets in tupperware meal size containers, fills
with water and puts them in the freezer. Says they last a long time
that way. I don't keep frozen stuff long. What does end up in there
a long time usually gets tossed. Wasn't important enough to eat soon
enough anyway.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Self-defrost increases the possibility of freezer burn on the food you
store.

I have a standing 15 cu ft non defrost freezer in my unheated cold room, aka
underground concrete tornado shelter.
The freezer, spare fridge for extra milk, plus a 100 w light bulb keep
the room from freezing in winter
I also have a dehumidifier in there for summer use.
Every 2nd winter, I load al the food into buckets and store in unheated
garage, and defrost the freezer.
It's also the time where I go through al the frozen stuff to decide what has
been forgotten on the back shelves and needs to be eaten soon or thrown out.
Process takes half a day, and I NEVER have freezer burned food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Wonder if it keeps food that cold since it must heat coils
above freezing point to melt ice:

http://aaa-applianceparts.com/freezer.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:06:15 PM UTC-4, Duesenberg wrote:
Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Cold air sinks. A chest freezer is much more efficient because less cold air escapes when you open the lid. On an upright the cold air all spills out on the floor every time you open the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had a 23 cu ft chest freezer in the garage for, at least, 15
yrs. We have high humidities and the freezer has often had
condensation forming on the sides and top..... probably on the bottom,
also. I clean the surfaces pretty often. It has taken a long time,
but there are some surface rust spots on the exterior, where the
condensation has been the most. Still runs great and, otherwise, no
problems. I store lots of fruits, berries and such, until I can make
the jellies, jams, etc., I stash excess ice as part of my "power
outage during hurricanes" back-up supplies, and a few other odds &
ends. *I have 3 large alligator heads in there, also. They haven't
expressed any freezer-in-the-garage complaints, either.

I would think your most concern would be with condensation on the
exterior. You may not have as high and/or persistant of humidities,
and subsequent condensation, as we have, here, along the US Gulf
coast. As long as you keep the exterior clean and relatively dry, you
should be okay.

A couple of times, over all these years, I've waxed the freezer, after
waxing the vehicles, but I have no idea if this has helped the
freezer's life span.

Sonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2012 9:06 PM, Duesenberg wrote:

Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Anyone got any input, it'd be appreciated....

Well, if your looking for a place to stuff your mother-in-law, you'll
want a chest freezer. However, freezers are one of the first places the
police look if they have reason to search your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GRUMPY PHUCKER" wrote in message

On 6/10/2012 9:06 PM, Duesenberg wrote:

Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Anyone got any input, it'd be appreciated....

Well, if your looking for a place to stuff your mother-in-law, you'll
want a chest freezer. However, freezers are one of the first places the
police look if they have reason to search your house.

I have had a chest freezer in my garage for more that 25 years (not the same
one). It has worked out very well for us. When opened, the cold stays in
the chest and doesn't "fall out" as it would in an upright freezer.
Elgy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:06:15 PM UTC-4, Duesenberg wrote:
Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Cold air sinks. A chest freezer is much more efficient because less cold
air escapes when you open the lid. On an upright the cold air all spills
out on the floor every time you open the door.

It mostly depends on how much food is in the upright. Air has little mass,
but you could have seal problems, which is not good on an upright. If your
in a defrost cycle, you don't want to open the door on an upright. I wonder
if any good ones tell you I'm on defrost cycle, do not open!!

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 02:54:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:

wrote:
On Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:06:15 PM UTC-4, Duesenberg wrote:
Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Cold air sinks. A chest freezer is much more efficient because less cold
air escapes when you open the lid. On an upright the cold air all spills
out on the floor every time you open the door.

It mostly depends on how much food is in the upright. Air has little mass,
but you could have seal problems, which is not good on an upright.

Depending on the humidity, the added water to the interior may be significant,
though. Water vapor will require energy to freeze and that adds to the
frost.

If your
in a defrost cycle, you don't want to open the door on an upright. I wonder
if any good ones tell you I'm on defrost cycle, do not open!!

Why? I'd think that would be the best time, since you're heating the interior
anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Your heating the coils which are in another compartment. I can easily tell
if my two door fridge in coming off defrost, any ice cream will be soft.
Without opening the freezer door, it gets up into the high 20's degrees.
That's the air temp as measured on a temp. Logger.

I bought my parents a large sears chest freezer in the early 70's, and I
gave it away still working in 2005 . Hardly ever stored much stuff in it.
My dad set his beers on it, the biggest use in the garage. It was cool to
make large ice cubes.

Greg