Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Deep Freezer in garage, any experiences?

On Jun 10, 10:26*pm, Mark wrote:
On Jun 10, 9:06*pm, Duesenberg wrote:

Southern Ontario Canada. *Attached garage, drywalled but not
heated/cooled. *Can go slightly below freezing during winter and reach
towards 30C in summer.

Haven't decided about buying a Stand-up or a Chest freezer, but will be
larger in size like 15 cu foot or so. *Best place for our family to keep
it is in the garage but does anyone have any experiences with a newer
Energy star rated freezer kept in conditions similar to mine? *reliable?
* Did it shut down in winter,

yes a friend had a fridge in the garage. *If the thermostat is in the
fridge section and not the freezer, then in the winter when the garage
ambient is cold enough to satisfy the fridge thermostat, the
compressor will never come on and the freezer part will warm up to the
same temp as the fridge.

If you are talking about a freezer only (not a combination freezer /
fridge) and the thermostat is in the freezer itself and set for the
desired freezer temp, I think you will be fine.

Mark

chest freezers cost less to operate...... far less.

now my wife wanted a freezer so bad i finally said yes and we got
it... she filled it with all sorts of good buys but was to lazy to go
to the basement to get stuff. everything eventually got tossed out,
from severe freezer burn.

so i emptied it and put it in the dining room, she hated the location
but it did get more effective use....

but the freezer never saved any money on the food bill and flavor goes
away as storage time increases.......

I gave her the freezer when she left to become my X wife

2 dysfunctional things left at the same time

my advice DONT BUY A FREEZER, it just takes up space, runs up your
utility bill, and you get to perodically toss much of what you stored
in it.......

sad but true