Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deep Freezer in garage, any experiences?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 02:54:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:

wrote:
On Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:06:15 PM UTC-4, Duesenberg wrote:
Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Cold air sinks. A chest freezer is much more efficient because less cold
air escapes when you open the lid. On an upright the cold air all spills
out on the floor every time you open the door.

It mostly depends on how much food is in the upright. Air has little mass,
but you could have seal problems, which is not good on an upright.

Depending on the humidity, the added water to the interior may be significant,
though. Water vapor will require energy to freeze and that adds to the
frost.

If your
in a defrost cycle, you don't want to open the door on an upright. I wonder
if any good ones tell you I'm on defrost cycle, do not open!!

Why? I'd think that would be the best time, since you're heating the interior
anyway.