Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Deep Freezer in garage, any experiences?

On 6/10/2012 9:46 PM, Duesenberg wrote:
On 6/10/2012 9:44 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jun 10, 6:06 pm, wrote:
Southern Ontario Canada. Attached garage, drywalled but not
heated/cooled. Can go slightly below freezing during winter and reach
towards 30C in summer.

Haven't decided about buying a Stand-up or a Chest freezer, but will be
larger in size like 15 cu foot or so. Best place for our family to keep
it is in the garage but does anyone have any experiences with a newer
Energy star rated freezer kept in conditions similar to mine? reliable?
Did it shut down in winter, did the compressor overheat in summer?
was
the manufacturer's operating temperatures claims near accurate

Any difference in chest freezer versus stand-up in a garage environment?

Anyone got any input, it'd be appreciated....

I’m in Southern California so I can’t answer most of your questions
but one more question that you might want to ask is, is it self
defrosting or do you have to manually defrost it in which case you’re
going to have baby-sit it.

Aren't they all self defrosting nowadays? If they aren't, I'll be
looking for self-defrost.

I'm not sure deep freezers are self defrosting. They run lower
temperature than freezer compartment in refrigerators.
If so, they would take food up near the freezing point defeating the
purpose of deep freeze. I've got two small chest units and they don't
normally get opened more than once a day versus freezer compartment in
refrigerator that is opened often and uses self defrost. The chests,
maybe we take the food out once a year and get rid of the ice buildup.