Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remote control fireplace starter

I've got a house with a skytech remote control that supposed to turn
on and off the fireplace. My question is where on the net can I buy
another remote similar to what I have. I want to have a 2nd remote in
case the first gets lost or damaged but I was told by one local outfit
that you have to buy it with a new receiver. In other words, I can't
do what I want without replacing the existing receiver in the
fireplace. Anyone know if this is true?

And where on the net can I buy another remote and or remote/receiver ?
This local outfit quoted me $125 for the remote and receiver. He said
I could install the receiver in about 20 minutes. I'm new to this
stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:34:31 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

I've got a house with a skytech remote control that supposed to turn
on and off the fireplace. My question is where on the net can I buy
another remote similar to what I have. I want to have a 2nd remote in
case the first gets lost or damaged but I was told by one local outfit
that you have to buy it with a new receiver. In other words, I can't
do what I want without replacing the existing receiver in the
fireplace. Anyone know if this is true?

And where on the net can I buy another remote and or remote/receiver ?
This local outfit quoted me $125 for the remote and receiver. He said
I could install the receiver in about 20 minutes. I'm new to this
stuff.

I just googled some starters and may have the answer to my question. I
only went to one site but it said the receiver (which had my remote
with it in the picture) could learn 2 other skytech transmitters so I
think the local outfit was wrong. Suggestions??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:45:59 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

I just googled some starters and may have the answer to my question. I
only went to one site but it said the receiver (which had my remote
with it in the picture) could learn 2 other skytech transmitters so I
think the local outfit was wrong. Suggestions??

http://www.fireplaceremotecontrols.c...duc ts_id=109
•Receiver will learn up to 2 additional SkyTech transmitters

The local guys are idiots, pay no attention

•Free 1-888 Help Line for live assistance from Skytech

Each transmitter can use one of 1,048,576 unique security codes. It
may be necessary to program the remote receiver to LEARN the
security code of the transmitter upon initial use, if batteries are
replaced, or if a replacement transmitter is purchased from your
dealer
or the factory. When matching security codes, be sure slide button on
the receiver is in the REMOTE position; the code will NOT
“LEARN” if the slide switch is in the ON or OFF position. Program the
remote receiver to LEARN a new security code Push and
Release the LEARN button on the top of the remote receiver and then
Press the ON or OFF button on the transmitter. A change in the
beeping pattern, at the receiver, indicates the transmitter’s code has
been programmed into the receiver. When an existing receiver is
matched to a new transmitter, the new security code will override the
old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ed. That should do it grin.