Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weirdness from my lawn mower

Year old walk behind self-propelled. Sometimes it won't start, other
times it starts and runs for about 10-15 minutes and stops. Even if
starts, when I turn it off to get drink of water or other reason, it
won't start again for an hour or two.
It just doesn't catch when it won't start at all. No sputtering,
etc. However, when it does start, when it stops on its own, there is
usually a faltering and then it stops. Almost like a vapor lock. Any
ideas of what is happening and how I can fix it?
It is new gas (actually less than a week) and the can I am getting
it from was bought new for this season so I doubt problems with that. I
cleaned the foam air cleaner after every use because parts of my lawn
are fairly dusty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 28, 2012 7:55:38 PM UTC-5, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Year old walk behind self-propelled. Sometimes it won't start, other
times it starts and runs for about 10-15 minutes and stops. Even if
starts, when I turn it off to get drink of water or other reason, it
won't start again for an hour or two.
It just doesn't catch when it won't start at all. No sputtering,
etc. However, when it does start, when it stops on its own, there is
usually a faltering and then it stops. Almost like a vapor lock. Any
ideas of what is happening and how I can fix it?
It is new gas (actually less than a week) and the can I am getting
it from was bought new for this season so I doubt problems with that. I
cleaned the foam air cleaner after every use because parts of my lawn
are fairly dusty.

My guess is a heat-related magneto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:55*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Year old walk behind self-propelled. Sometimes it won't start, other
times it starts and runs for about 10-15 minutes and stops. Even if
starts, when I turn it off to get drink of water or other reason, it
won't start again for an hour or two.
* * *It just doesn't catch when it won't start at all. No sputtering,
etc. However, when it does start, when it stops on its own, there is
usually a faltering and then it stops. Almost like a vapor lock. Any
ideas of what is happening and how I can fix it?
* * *It is new gas (actually less than a week) and the can I am getting
it from was bought new for this season so I doubt problems with that. I
cleaned the foam air cleaner after every use because parts of my lawn
are fairly dusty.

A few times I had that issue it was electrical as in ignition module
or coil , start with a new plug and check plug wire, to me the fact
when you turn it off it won't start again shows it could be the module
as it gets hotter after its shut off, that would be a time to remove
the plug , ground it and have someone pull the mower to see if you get
a good spark. Or spray gas into the carb to see if it's fuel related

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Year old walk behind self-propelled. Sometimes it won't start, other
times it starts and runs for about 10-15 minutes and stops. Even if
starts, when I turn it off to get drink of water or other reason, it
won't start again for an hour or two.

If the tank and carb were not run completely dry before winter
then it is likely fuel related. Try some Sea Foam in your fuel.

It isn't all that unusual for a gas engine to not fire after being
recently shut off unless it is left to idle down for a couple minutes
(due to fuel in the cylinder). My RX8 must be warmed to
operating temperature before being shut off or it's a tow to
the dealer.

It isn't very likely at all that you'd have any sort of electrical
failure on a mower that new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:55*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Year old walk behind self-propelled. Sometimes it won't start, other
times it starts and runs for about 10-15 minutes and stops. Even if
starts, when I turn it off to get drink of water or other reason, it
won't start again for an hour or two.
* * *It just doesn't catch when it won't start at all. No sputtering,
etc. However, when it does start, when it stops on its own, there is
usually a faltering and then it stops. Almost like a vapor lock. Any
ideas of what is happening and how I can fix it?
* * *It is new gas (actually less than a week) and the can I am getting
it from was bought new for this season so I doubt problems with that. I
cleaned the foam air cleaner after every use because parts of my lawn
are fairly dusty.

Since we can only guess, I would do the following.............

Check to make sure the vent is working onthe gas cap.
Change spark plug.
Make sure the "dead-mans" switch is working correctly and not sticking
(cables CAN stretch).
Like one poster suggested, when it won't run, try spraying a little
gas in the carb ot see if it is fuel related and check for spark. You
can't fix it if it isn't broken. :-)

If all this checks out ok, I am guessing a sticky valve or leaking
head gasket.

Hank ~~~~ professional guesser

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/29/12 08:06 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Year old walk behind self-propelled. Sometimes it won't start, other
times it starts and runs for about 10-15 minutes and stops. Even if
starts, when I turn it off to get drink of water or other reason, it
won't start again for an hour or two.

If the tank and carb were not run completely dry before winter
then it is likely fuel related. Try some Sea Foam in your fuel.

It worked fine the first 6 weeks of the season. WHy start now?

It isn't very likely at all that you'd have any sort of electrical
failure on a mower that new.

I don't think I have anything electrical on the mower anyway.

Our mower with a Tecumseh engine would always start OK but would often
refuse to restart after being stopped for a short while. After a year or
two of this it would sometimes stop suddenly (no sputtering to a stop).
A replacement ignition module (new) -- $20+ on eBay) seems to have fixed
the problem.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking either an ignition coil / magneto that is affected by heat.
Or, inadequate valve clearance. I've also heard that cheap grade of motor
oil can cause similar problems.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

My guess is a heat-related magneto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ignition coil, spark wire, and spark plug, and magneto. Are all
electrical parts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

It isn't very likely at all that you'd have any sort of electrical
failure on a mower that new.

I don't think I have anything electrical on the mower anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:51:22 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

Since we can only guess, I would do the following.............

Check to make sure the vent is working onthe gas cap.

Loosen the cap 1/8 turn or use a paper clip the clear the vent hole in
the cap. A vacuum builds in the gas tank, so the engine starves for
gas. But sitting for a while the vacuum releases slowly.

Change spark plug.

Ceramic on the plug can crack (done it in my repairs) causing a short
to ground (sudden shut off).

Start simple :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If the tank and carb were not run completely dry before winter
then it is likely fuel related. Try some Sea Foam in your fuel.

It worked fine the first 6 weeks of the season. WHy start now?

The inferior gas/ethanol tends to build up a yellow gunk
inside carbs if not thoroughly emptied over the winter season.
All it takes is a small piece to break loose and give problems.
Sea Foam does a very good job of cleaning carbs. This is a
simple procedure you can do yourself and very cheaply.

It isn't very likely at all that you'd have any sort of electrical
failure on a mower that new.

I don't think I have anything electrical on the mower anyway.

SM has already corrected you on that issue.

If it's electrical it's going to probably be a trip to the shop as
it isn't likely from your posting that you'll be doing that yourself.

Other than an engine being simply worn out (or oil neglected),
nearly all problems come down to fuel or spark. And from
many years of mower experience -- it's a fuel problem 90%
of the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Since we can only guess, I would do the following.............

Check to make sure the vent is working onthe gas cap.

Loosen the cap 1/8 turn or use a paper clip the clear the vent hole in
the cap. A vacuum builds in the gas tank, so the engine starves for
gas. But sitting for a while the vacuum releases slowly.

Change spark plug.

Ceramic on the plug can crack (done it in my repairs) causing a short
to ground (sudden shut off).

Start simple :-\

I've bought bad plugs at stores and several times have seen them
sitting on the floor where customers dropped them
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Since we can only guess, I would do the following.............

Check to make sure the vent is working onthe gas cap.

Loosen the cap 1/8 turn or use a paper clip the clear the vent hole in
the cap. A vacuum builds in the gas tank, so the engine starves for
gas. But sitting for a while the vacuum releases slowly.

Change spark plug.

Ceramic on the plug can crack (done it in my repairs) causing a short
to ground (sudden shut off).

Start simple :-\

I've bought bad plugs at stores and several times have seen them
sitting on the floor where customers dropped them

Bad plugs! (maybe you should use that as your sig?!)

Lawn mower sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 16 July 4th 11 11:39 AM
Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
Need help with lawn mower mfreak Home Repair 1 May 17th 08 04:50 PM
Lawn Mower Andy & Carol Home Repair 14 March 14th 05 04:01 AM
Lawn Mower harry manka Home Repair 9 September 29th 04 03:30 PM