Andy & Carol

Default Lawn Mower

Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

Dr. Hardcrab

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message
Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

I'm in the same boat. Best thing to do is get some type of mulching mower.
My last one was a cheapo (can't remember the brand) from WallyMart, but it
lasted 3 years, AND, that sucker would start on the first pull every time!
(Son was using it at the end of last season and it threw a rod).

I'll have to watch this thread and see what the "experts" recommend....

Ron Hardin

It doesn't solve the clipping problem, in fact makes it worse (get a leaf
sweeper and pile grass clippings by the back fence), but if you don't have
a huge lawn and have lots of time, a European scythe is a great way to cut
grass. No grass too high for it, either.

Just an alternative if you're getting a new mower. I cut an acre but I have
_lots_ of time. You do a few swaths a day and by the time you get done
with the whole lawn, it's a perfect time to repeat, at that size.

A scythe leaves a windrow of clippings at the edge of every ten-foot-wide
pass though, indeed that's its original point.

http://www.scythesupply.com has a nice outfit, you need snath (I suggest
straight, which works best with long grass blades), blade (26" grass is
good general one; the 36" is good on easier spring grass), sharpening
stone (Begrenzer medium grit is good), bar peen hammer and wide anvil
(for thinning the edge again after you've sharpened it away enough); and
stone-holder, since you stop and sharpen every 5 minutes or so, for a few
sharpening strokes. A lot of stuff but a nice pasttime. They have
a package deal on price, the last I looked.

With a European scythe, you're slicing grass, not whacking it. It's a very
smooth activity. The blade rides flat on the ground, the curve of the back
keeping the edge just off the ground, and the odd shape of the snath that
holds it is to keep that geometry through the stroke.
--
Ron Hardin

Hound Dog

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message
Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

Have had a Toro Super Recycler for three seasons. Have had no problems with
it at all. Starts on the first or second pull every time.

I am close to 70 and without the personal pace system I doubt if I would be
able to cut my own lawn much longer.

Best mower I have ever owned. Somewhat expensive, but worth every cent, to
me.

SJF

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message
Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

Check Sears. I got a Consumer Reports top rated bag-or-mulch self-propelled
with variable speed from them in 2003. Really nice. About $300. ---
SJF

Joseph Meehan

Ron Hardin wrote:
It doesn't solve the clipping problem, in fact makes it worse (get a
leaf sweeper and pile grass clippings by the back fence), but if you
don't have a huge lawn and have lots of time, a European scythe is a
great way to cut grass. No grass too high for it, either.

It would appear your needs are far different than most homeowners who
might be reading this.

For most people who take good car of their lawn (don't over fertilize
with high nitrogen fertilizer for example) and cut their lawn as often as
they should, a mulching mower is a very good choice.

However if you are not able to usually mow when your lawn needs it, or
have certain grasses in certain climates, then mulching may not be right.

There are some people who want to put an extreme amount of personal
effort into their lawn to try and produce the putting green look. For them
I would not suggest a mulching mower.

However from the majority of people who just want a very good looking
lawn without speeding too much time or money, a mulching mower is a good
idea.

I suggest checking the library for the latest review by Consumer's
Reports (not the other consumer magazine that accepts advertising) and read
the whole article, not just the final report and use that as a starting
point for your decision.

[...]

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

Consumer reports has rated most all mowers in large tests in all price
ranges, a good read. For mulching the Toro is probably very good . One
main difference is a cheap B&S or Techumpsee engines may last 250-350
hrs, a good OHV engine can go 2000+hrs. If your lawn is fairly large and
you cut often consider the better motors.

davma

I don't recommend Airens walk behind. I purchased one 6 years ago with
an electric start. Maintained the thing like mad every year and the
pile of junk has been in for repairs too many times. E - start no
longer will work. I'm factoring in it will not start this year and am
also considering a new mower. Never to pay 700.00 again, I'll go
Craftsman or Toro for half the cost & it'll last just as long.

Andy & Carol wrote:
Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

Phisherman

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:49:38 GMT, "Andy & Carol"
wrote:

Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

I have the Toro personal pace and really like it. Starts better and
more power than my old Honda mower. With any mulching mower you can't
allow the grass to get too tall.
G Henslee

Ron,

That's a very interesting link. I have 2 scythes that were my
grandfathers. One is 'store bought' (snath) and the other is a straight
one that he made all of the wood parts for. I even have a few wood
parts for another one he was making, along with the small ball peen
hammer and piece of steel he would he use as an anvil to 'set' the
blade. I also have his original well worn wetstone. I would think both
of these scythes are at least 60-70 years old but they are still in
great shape and used for decoration now.

Ron Hardin wrote:

http://www.scythesupply.com has a nice outfit, you need snath (I suggest
straight, which works best with long grass blades), blade (26" grass is
good general one; the 36" is good on easier spring grass), sharpening
stone (Begrenzer medium grit is good), bar peen hammer and wide anvil
(for thinning the edge again after you've sharpened it away enough); and
stone-holder, since you stop and sharpen every 5 minutes or so, for a few
sharpening strokes. A lot of stuff but a nice pasttime. They have
a package deal on price, the last I looked.

With a European scythe, you're slicing grass, not whacking it. It's a very
smooth activity. The blade rides flat on the ground, the curve of the back
keeping the edge just off the ground, and the odd shape of the snath that
holds it is to keep that geometry through the stroke.

Greg O

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
It doesn't solve the clipping problem, in fact makes it worse (get a leaf
sweeper and pile grass clippings by the back fence),

Clipping problem?
I have used nothing but a mulching mower on my yard for the last 14 years,
no problem!
Greg

Dave Balderstone

In article
, Andy &
Carol wrote:

Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10190&cat=2,2160

I found one of the 18" ones at a yard sale for $10. gloat

Beautiful mower, my kids argue over who gets to cut the grass!

Robert Barr

Andy & Carol wrote:
Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/

.... and FWIW, I bought one of those variable speed Sears Craftsman units
last summer, and it was just impossible to control comfortably.

I returned it and bought a brand new B&S OHV engine for about $120.
Excellent engine. I doubt I'll ever buy an L head engine again. So I
squeeze another 7 years out of the same mower -- more my style.
Tony Hwang

Andy & Carol wrote:
Need to get a new mower....I am thinking about a new Toro Super Recycler.
This will be my first new mower, all others were used and rebuilt.Are they
good for getting rid of the clippings? Is there any other mower out there
that
is any better? Is the Personal pace system any good?

Thanks,
Andy

Hi,
Took a look at some from John Deere?