Posted to alt.home.repair

Default freon

Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see
some, but don't know who to believe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 4:46*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. *I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Freon is supposed to react with high altitude ozone in the atmosphere
causing "holes" which let in solar radiation.
CFC (the worst sort has been banned worldwide (in theory) for years
now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2012 1:25 PM, harry wrote:
On May 28, 4:46 pm, wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Freon is supposed to react with high altitude ozone in the atmosphere
causing "holes" which let in solar radiation.
CFC (the worst sort has been banned worldwide (in theory) for years
now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freon

The new Freons are not CFC's (chloro fluor carbon's) and no longer named
all called Freon:

http://www2.dupont.com/ISCEON/en_US/...ment_guide.pdf

This guide may help the op.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:46:07 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Freon is a trade name for a particular brand (DuPont) of refrigerant.
Without more information as that what you want to achieve, no one can
give the proper answer. Surely, just because it is termed "oil" there
are some that would not be good in your salad dressing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:46*am, Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. *I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Unless you have a very unique car or home A/C system the refrigerants
are not compatible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/28/2012 10:46 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Oh, certainly there's bound to have been somebody who has and it may
even have functioned (sorta') for a while.

The proper answer is almost assuredly you can't do what you're asking as
the automotive and home central-air systems do not use compatible
refrigerants.

As for what's on the web, who knows? There's undoubtedly something out
there that is ok, but I've no clue where it might be.

For starters, though, you need to know what is in the target system and
then see what are current compatible replacements for that particular
one or whether it is still available, perhaps (afaik, there's no problem
in servicing existing systems w/ the original even yet other than
perhaps availability).

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/28/2012 1:01 PM, Frank wrote:

The new Freons are not CFC's (chloro fluor carbon's) and no longer named
all called Freon:

http://www2.dupont.com/ISCEON/en_US/...ment_guide.pdf

This guide may help the op.

That's a very nice link/table...thanks for the posting; I've made a
local copy of it already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. *I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

The short answer is no R134 is not compatible with R22 or R401(the
newer stuff)

How old is the system?

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. *I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

The short answer is no R134 is not compatible with R22 or R401(the
newer stuff)

How old is the system?

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. *He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

I have read that hydrogen sulfide was used 100 years ago. It stinks
like rotten eggs and will knock you out if inhaled in large quantities
but supposedly is great and a good lubricant.
I have heard that the new ones are dangerous in that they have known
to cause heart problems!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Freon is a brand name, like Sunoco, or Sue Bee Honey. The fact that it's
been improperly used for decades doesn't change that fact.

That said, refrigerant 134a has a whole different pressure, temperature
relationship. And different heat carrying capacity. If it works at all, in a
R-22 system, it won't work well.

Of course, I do need to note, that's a federal crime to do so, under EPA
section 608.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freon is a brand name. I havn't seen Freon (R) for sale, in many years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

The new Freons are not CFC's (chloro fluor carbon's) and no longer named
all called Freon:

http://www2.dupont.com/ISCEON/en_US/..._guide.pdfThis guide may help the op.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you put (flammable) butane in a system designed for non flammable HCFC,
you risk explosion from sparks from the compressor motor.

Your system might not be low on charge, in any case. Hard to tell, unless a
qualified tech checks it out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Pre-Freon days ammonia and sulfur dioxide were used as refrigerants.
Freons were fairly safe to breath but some caused heart problems when
tested on dogs and the newer substitutes are less safe but no where near
as toxic as in the pre-Freon days. Toxicity no where approaches that of
ammonia or sulfur dioxide.

Concerns with the Freon substitutes were toxicity and effect on
refrigerator parts and seals. Latter problem similar to adding alcohol
to gasoline's effect on engine components.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. *He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

How do I find a good and reasonably priced HVAC guy? 3 years ago, a
recommended guy ended up upselling me on getting my system cleaned,
and turned a $130 repair into a $500 job. Moreover, he did not fix my
leak, nor inject a dye to detect leaks the next time. One year Prior
to that, at another home, I had the guy out three times trying to fix
a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should there be a pool of water under the inside unit. It seems as if
it draining off, but the other units do not have water around the
indoor unit which houses the blower fan and filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:31:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

If you put (flammable) butane in a system designed for non flammable HCFC,
you risk explosion from sparks from the compressor motor.

Not true - if the system is full of butane there is no air and the
butane cannot explode.

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 18:28:55 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

Should there be a pool of water under the inside unit. It seems as if
it draining off, but the other units do not have water around the
indoor unit which houses the blower fan and filter.

Depends. The indoor (evaporator) coil does remove humidity. On a
typical day it will have water forming on it, more on humid days, less
to none on dry days. The pan should have a drain to take it away.
Drain may be partially clogged (very common) or it was a poor
installation and collects water before it runs off. I can't see it
from here to determine which.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 28, 8:28*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Freon is a brand name, like Sunoco, or Sue Bee Honey. The fact that it's
been improperly used for decades doesn't change that fact.

That said, refrigerant 134a has a whole different pressure, temperature
relationship. And different heat carrying capacity. If it works at all, in a
R-22 system, it won't work well.

I have a '88 Toyota that I converted over to 134a, it blows ice cold,
and I'm in Florida.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:26:34 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 28, 8:28Â*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Freon is a brand name, like Sunoco, or Sue Bee Honey. The fact that it's
been improperly used for decades doesn't change that fact.

That said, refrigerant 134a has a whole different pressure, temperature
relationship. And different heat carrying capacity. If it works at all, in a
R-22 system, it won't work well.

I have a '88 Toyota that I converted over to 134a, it blows ice cold,
and I'm in Florida.

But the Toyota NEVER used R22. It used R12 - and 134A is the
replacement for R12. It is close enough to work well in MOST R12
systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Freon is a brand name, like Sunoco, or Sue Bee Honey. The fact that it's
been improperly used for decades doesn't change that fact.

That said, refrigerant 134a has a whole different pressure, temperature
relationship. And different heat carrying capacity. If it works at all, in a
R-22 system, it won't work well.

I have a '88 Toyota that I converted over to 134a, it blows ice cold,
and I'm in Florida.

*But the Toyota NEVER used R22. It used R12 - and 134A is the
replacement for R12. It is close enough to work well in MOST R12
systems.

You're right. My bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
Should there be a pool of water under the inside unit. It seems as if
it draining off, but the other units do not have water around the
indoor unit which houses the blower fan and filter.

No.

The "pool" of water under the evaporating unit is the "emergency overflow"
pan. Water there means your regular drain is clogged.

The clog is almost always a mass of algae. It can be blown out with a good
puff of wind (or compressed air or a water hose or etc.). Once draining
again properly, add a cup of bleach to the evaporator system (where the
internal puddle is) to kill off the remaining algae.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. *He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

What about ammonia?- Hide quoted text -

Either you're a troll or a complete idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. *He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

How do I find a good and reasonably priced HVAC guy? *3 years ago, a
recommended guy ended up upselling me on getting my system cleaned,
and turned a $130 repair into a $500 job. *Moreover, he did not fix my
leak, nor inject *a dye to detect leaks the next time. *One year Prior
to that, at another home, I had the guy out three times trying to fix
a problem.

To find a good A/C technician the simplest thing you can do is to make
sure he is licensed by both the state and the EPA. Call him/her first
and get all his information to check on him before you make an
appointment with him. I am constantly surprised as to how few people
do this very simple thing. You can also try finding a very small
company that is a sole proprietor where the person holding the license
is the same person coming to do the work instead of him sending a fast
talking moron. You can also talk to your neighbors and friends and ask
them for a recommendation. Instead of trying to find a reasonably
priced technician try finding one that personally guarantees his/her
work; it will be cheaper in the long run.
True: if the system is full of butane there is no air and the butane
cannot explode. Then all you have to worry about is air getting into
the system and turning it into a pipe bomb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2012 07:58:54 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

On May 28, 5:45Â*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
On May 28, 7:31Â*pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Â*www.lds.org
.

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. Â*He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

How do I find a good and reasonably priced HVAC guy? Â*3 years ago, a
recommended guy ended up upselling me on getting my system cleaned,
and turned a $130 repair into a $500 job. Â*Moreover, he did not fix my
leak, nor inject Â*a dye to detect leaks the next time. Â*One year Prior
[...]

Slim chance since the pressure inside the system will always be above
atmospheric untill it is almost empty. You will have a torch outside
the pipe more likely than a bomb inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The EPA does issue certificates, but not licenses.

I think that asking your friends and neighbors for reccomendations is also a
good idea.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Molly Brown" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

When I was very young, I remember neighbor coming over to put gas in
fridge. This was at my grandparents house. Grandmother took me upstairs.
Why didn't we go outside. It was a horrible smell. My dad had this old
fridge in garage. It had that neat sound when it started up. One day we
threw it in the trash on trash day. The workers were putting it in the
truck, when suddenly everybody backed off when it started leaking. My dad
always said chlorine gas, but I don't guess that's what it was.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Freon is a brand name. I havn't seen Freon (R) for sale, in many years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Freon is also used generically as any kind of refrigerant. At least by me.
Some phd guys I worked with, said some of the other refrigerants also break
down over time and will cause the same problem as ye old freon.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just cause "everybody does it" doesn't make it right.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message
-
Freon is a brand name. I havn't seen Freon (R) for sale, in many years.

Freon is also used generically as any kind of refrigerant. At least by me.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Break down the same as which refrigerant? Be specific.

There were at least four different Freons made. Which one?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message
-

Some phd guys I worked with, said some of the other refrigerants also break
down over time and will cause the same problem as ye old freon.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 29, 10:56*am, "
wrote:
On May 28, 10:40*pm, Deodiaus wrote:

What about ammonia?

Either you're a troll or a complete idiot.

In the late 80s I was renting a house that had this kind of AC
system.

http://www.gasairconditioning.org/ro...w_it_works.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2012 5:10 PM, gregz wrote:
"Stormin wrote:
Freon is a brand name. I havn't seen Freon (R) for sale, in many years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Freon is also used generically as any kind of refrigerant. At least by me.
Some phd guys I worked with, said some of the other refrigerants also break
down over time and will cause the same problem as ye old freon.

Greg

Freon is a registered trademark for DuPont's fluorinated hydrocarbons:

http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...nt_history.htm

Having worked at DuPont, I'm familiar with some of DuPont's trademark
problems. They lost the trademarks for Nylon and Neoprene because they
fell into common usage when the full names like Nylon polyamide
fiber/resin and Neoprene rubber. Just using the trade name by itself
caused this and afterwards DuPont was careful to mention the full name
in all there literature and chastise those that misused it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What about ammonia?- Hide quoted text -

Either you're a troll or a complete idiot.

http://www.iiar.org/aar/aar_greenpaper.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 7:15*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
What about ammonia?- Hide quoted text -

Either you're a troll or a complete idiot.

http://www.iiar.org/aar/aar_greenpaper.pdf

Apparently you and the previous poster don't
realize there is a big difference between using
ammonia or natural gas in a system DESIGNED
for it and putting it into your home AC system
which was not. Your question is about putting everything
from auto R134 to ammonia into your present
home AC. And apparently ammonia isn't practical
for such systems today compared to the other
refrigerants or HVAC manufacturers would be using it.

So, again, either you're an idiot or a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. *I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

The short answer is no R134 is not compatible with R22 or R401(the
newer stuff)

How old is the system?

I have a YORK EVV 89876
I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so.
I have see youtube vids about refilling.
I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified
buyers".
I have read a site about using butane. *He makes the case that many of
use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous
than some butane in the AC system.

What was the recommended refrigerant for the York heat pump? R22?
What do they use now, or do they still use R22 for those models?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2012 13:55:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

And it's not a guarantee that the "licensed" and "certified" guy is
going to be any more honest or ethical than a good handiman. No
guarantee he will be more knowlegeable about your system either.

Good techs live on their reputation - and that is only as good as the
last job - so go for recommendations. A good COMPANY will stand
behind repairs done by their techs - while you don't know what to
expect if dealing with "just a tech" - but if he's really GOOD, that
is not an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
-

Some phd guys I worked with, said some of the other refrigerants also break
down over time and will cause the same problem as ye old freon.

Greg

They were not specific.

Gre
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an old ammonia fridge. The old Servel absorption fridges
were ammonia, for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2012 15:30:52 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 29, 10:56Â*am, "
wrote:
On May 28, 10:40Â*pm, Deodiaus wrote:

What about ammonia?

Either you're a troll or a complete idiot.

In the late 80s I was renting a house that had this kind of AC
system.

http://www.gasairconditioning.org/ro...w_it_works.htm

Just like a lot of camper or motor-home refrigerators.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

No it isn’t a guarantee but if the job he’s doing means more to him/
her than just a way to make a buck he’s going to go to the trouble and
expense of getting a license and a certificate which he can loose if
he/she doesn’t keep his nose clean. The license and certificate only
proves that he is probably serious about his work and knowledge.
As far as companies go my personal experience is that the bigger they
are the stupider they get. Name one big company and I’ll name a whole
lot of dumb things it has done.

AC low freon? ransley Home Repair 36 August 1st 10 08:03 AM
FREON DETECTOR justme[_2_] Metalworking 2 October 4th 08 09:42 PM
AC Freon Leak ? JackpipE Home Repair 40 July 13th 08 02:33 AM
if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not? wle Home Repair 10 June 3rd 08 04:32 AM
Can I tell if there is freon in the AC? mm Home Repair 8 February 21st 08 08:57 PM