Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default freon

On 5/28/2012 10:46 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a
home centralized AC system?
Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see
some, but don't know who to believe.

Oh, certainly there's bound to have been somebody who has and it may
even have functioned (sorta') for a while.

The proper answer is almost assuredly you can't do what you're asking as
the automotive and home central-air systems do not use compatible
refrigerants.

As for what's on the web, who knows? There's undoubtedly something out
there that is ok, but I've no clue where it might be.

For starters, though, you need to know what is in the target system and
then see what are current compatible replacements for that particular
one or whether it is still available, perhaps (afaik, there's no problem
in servicing existing systems w/ the original even yet other than
perhaps availability).