Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting straight edge in wood with dremel

I've got a cabinet in the laundry room (see pics) where I want to cut
off about 1/4" from bottom (bottom face). I will stop perhaps 2 "
from each end of cabinet. The board / trim is about 11/16" thick and
has 1/2" clear on back side from bottom before I reach the inside trim
piece (picture 3 of 4).

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

I was told to consider using a dremel but do they sell an attachment
that would allow me to cut a straight edge 1/4" from bottom? I don't
want jaggered cuts and I don't know right now if the bottom is
perfectly level.

And is there a better tool for this? I already have a dremel tho.
What type of dremel blade and accessory is good for this cut? I don't
know if this is some kind of composite board or wood since it's
painted. Feels like wood but I can't be 100% sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 4:29*pm, "Doug" wrote:
I've got a cabinet in the laundry room (see pics) where I want to cut
off about 1/4" from bottom (bottom face). *I will stop perhaps 2 "
from each end of cabinet. *The board / trim is about 11/16" thick and
has 1/2" clear on back side from bottom before I reach the inside trim
piece *(picture 3 of 4).

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

I was told to consider using a dremel but do they sell an attachment
that would allow me to cut a straight edge 1/4" from bottom? * I don't
want jaggered cuts and I don't know right now if the bottom is
perfectly level.

And is there a better tool for this? *I already have a dremel tho.
What type of dremel blade and accessory is good for this cut? *I don't
know if this is some kind of composite board or wood since it's
painted. *Feels like wood but I can't be 100% sure.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nder_bosch.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 May 2012 18:29:25 -0500, "Doug" wrote:

I've got a cabinet in the laundry room (see pics) where I want to cut
off about 1/4" from bottom (bottom face). I will stop perhaps 2 "
from each end of cabinet. The board / trim is about 11/16" thick and
has 1/2" clear on back side from bottom before I reach the inside trim
piece (picture 3 of 4).

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

I was told to consider using a dremel but do they sell an attachment
that would allow me to cut a straight edge 1/4" from bottom? I don't
want jaggered cuts and I don't know right now if the bottom is
perfectly level.

And is there a better tool for this? I already have a dremel tho.
What type of dremel blade and accessory is good for this cut? I don't
know if this is some kind of composite board or wood since it's
painted. Feels like wood but I can't be 100% sure.

A Dremel isn't the right tool to cut wood, particularly wood that thick.
They're really not intended for wood; not nearly powerful enough. A circular
saw, with the right blade would work much better. A fence clamped to the
frame would help a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 6:56*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On May 27, 4:29*pm, "Doug" wrote:

I've got a cabinet in the laundry room (see pics) where I want to cut
off about 1/4" from bottom (bottom face). *I will stop perhaps 2 "
from each end of cabinet. *The board / trim is about 11/16" thick and
has 1/2" clear on back side from bottom before I reach the inside trim
piece *(picture 3 of 4).

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

I was told to consider using a dremel but do they sell an attachment
that would allow me to cut a straight edge 1/4" from bottom? * I don't
want jaggered cuts and I don't know right now if the bottom is
perfectly level.

And is there a better tool for this? *I already have a dremel tho.
What type of dremel blade and accessory is good for this cut? *I don't
know if this is some kind of composite board or wood since it's
painted. *Feels like wood but I can't be 100% sure.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...der_bosch.jpg- Hide quoted text -

The sander would be slow, but you could control the final depth
better. How are you planning on doing the two ends where the cabinet
meets the walls??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2012 9:42 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2012 18:29:25 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Actually they are intended to cut wood. I have a router attachment for
my Dremel. Have only tried it a couple of times but not used for any
projects. It is rather nice, but the bits are small.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
I've got a cabinet in the laundry room (see pics) where I want to cut
off about 1/4" from bottom (bottom face). I will stop perhaps 2 "
from each end of cabinet. The board / trim is about 11/16" thick and
has 1/2" clear on back side from bottom before I reach the inside trim
piece (picture 3 of 4).

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

I was told to consider using a dremel but do they sell an attachment
that would allow me to cut a straight edge 1/4" from bottom? I don't
want jaggered cuts and I don't know right now if the bottom is
perfectly level.

And is there a better tool for this? I already have a dremel tho.
What type of dremel blade and accessory is good for this cut? I don't
know if this is some kind of composite board or wood since it's
painted. Feels like wood but I can't be 100% sure.

Personally, I wouldn't try using a Dremel. I'd probably use a jig saw,
preferably with a board clamped/nailed to the frame as a guide. If a guide
isn't possible, I'd draw a line and follow as best as possible. In either
case - ANY case, actually - you'll need to smooth and clean up with a plane.
I wouldn't use a circular saw...too heavy, agressive and too small an area
to rest saw even if you take off the door(s).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
I've got a cabinet in the laundry room (see pics) where I want to cut
off about 1/4" from bottom (bottom face). I will stop perhaps 2 "
from each end of cabinet. The board / trim is about 11/16" thick and
has 1/2" clear on back side from bottom before I reach the inside trim
piece (picture 3 of 4).

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

I was told to consider using a dremel but do they sell an attachment
that would allow me to cut a straight edge 1/4" from bottom? I don't
want jaggered cuts and I don't know right now if the bottom is
perfectly level.

And is there a better tool for this? I already have a dremel tho.
What type of dremel blade and accessory is good for this cut? I don't
know if this is some kind of composite board or wood since it's
painted. Feels like wood but I can't be 100% sure.

This is a project ideally suited to the Harbor Freight Miracle Multifunction
tool (with a "fence" clamped to the work).

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html

It's on sale for $29.99, but if you can wait a bit - and get on their
mailing list - the tool is available for $18.99 every couple of months or
so.

Seriously, for what this tool does, it has no peer. You'll find new uses
every day! Not long ago, I found the tool could mix up an oil and vinegar
dressing so the two ingredients didn't separate!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 06:44:14 -0400, Norminn wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about the cut-off wheels. Routing a straight line with a
Dremel is going to be a *major* challenge. It's simply the wrong tool for the
job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:51:47 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Doug wrote:
[...]

Use a circular saw (with a "fence" clamped to the work).

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html

It's on sale for $29.99, but if you can wait a bit - and get on their
mailing list - the tool is available for $18.99 every couple of months or
so.

You'll never get a straight line.

Seriously, for what this tool does, it has no peer. You'll find new uses
every day! Not long ago, I found the tool could mix up an oil and vinegar
dressing so the two ingredients didn't separate!

Useful tools, to be sure, but this isn't one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bosch.....Hide quoted text -

The sander would be slow, but you could control the final depth
better. *How are you planning on doing the two ends where the cabinet
meets the walls??

See above. *- Hide quoted text -

"above" says you are stopping 2" short of the walls, you have to do
some sort of a finishing of the rough edges of where you are cutting
back to the old dimension. A diagonal taper, or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 4:29*pm, "Doug" wrote:

[...]

Correct. I was thinking of just a perpendicular cut (parallel to the
walls).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

I agree completely. I recently shortened a cabinet and door on it using the
multifunction tool. With a straight board as a guide, it was easy to get very
accurate lines on the cuts, and there is very little tendancy to splinter/chip
out the edges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

This is a project ideally suited to the Harbor Freight Miracle
Multifunction tool (with a "fence" clamped to the work).

Use a circular saw (with a "fence" clamped to the work).

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html

It's on sale for $29.99, but if you can wait a bit - and get on their
mailing list - the tool is available for $18.99 every couple of
months or so.

You'll never get a straight line.

It will cut a line as straight as the Pope. And he won't have to remove the
door as he would if trying to use a 15-pound circular saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2012 18:24:20 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

This is a project ideally suited to the Harbor Freight Miracle
Multifunction tool (with a "fence" clamped to the work).

Use a circular saw (with a "fence" clamped to the work).

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html

It's on sale for $29.99, but if you can wait a bit - and get on their
mailing list - the tool is available for $18.99 every couple of
months or so.

You'll never get a straight line.

It will cut a line as straight as the Pope.

That's exactly what I mean.

And he won't have to remove the
door as he would if trying to use a 15-pound circular saw.

Four screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2012 17:11:39 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

You'll never get a straight line.

It will cut a line as straight as the Pope.

That's exactly what I mean.

And he won't have to remove the
door as he would if trying to use a 15-pound circular saw.

Four screws.

Yep. In the past week, I used a Dremel on a cabinet door. I used the tool to
cut the heads off the screws holding the door in place as it was petrified
by at least three coats of some god-awful paint.

Once that awfulness was out of the way, I was able to vise-grip the screw
stubs to remove the suckers.

Good grief. These things from the bronze age?

straight edge: sal[_2_] Woodworking 24 May 29th 12 05:01 PM
Getting a straight Edge ado UK diy 5 May 9th 07 10:26 PM
cutting straight edge on table saw ? TimR Woodworking 8 September 23rd 06 03:54 PM
OSB ok for straight edge? stryped Woodworking 4 March 22nd 06 04:10 PM
Straight Edge Wanker Woodworking 36 August 12th 04 07:05 AM