Posted to alt.home.repair

Default steel poles

Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 02:29:54 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

Greg

How long of a pole are you looking for?

Back in my TV antenna days (1971 or so) I had a 10' stick of schedule
40 rigid metal conduit going to the rotor, where it was guy wired and
another 10' stick of EMT going to the antenna. That may still be on my
old house.

I'm looking for about 12-15 feet. It's only going to raise my vertical cb/
Ham a99 up over my deck level. It's going to be sitting in the ground,
attached to bottom of deck, which is 7-8 foot off ground.

Back in the 60's I had mail ordered a telescoping set, about 30 foot total.
Going to pull out my 10 meter ssb transceiver, and also try to communicate
on cb.
First time in my life, I live on a hill. The antenna needs about 1 1/2 inch
diameter tube.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

Greg

FERGEDDABOUT Home Depot. They charge for four feet of steel what you can
buy a twenty footer for at a supplier.

Unless you want to guy wire your pole, you will need more substantial pipe
than they have at HD. Like sch 40 steel, maybe telescoped. You can get it
in 40' lengths, so two pieces would make a nice pole, but I do suggest guy
wiring it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/24/12 11:49 pm, gregz wrote:

[...]

And *tube* is what you need, not pipe. Whether EMT conduit fills the
bill, I don't know.

You could look at www.dxengineering.com -- they sell telescoping
aluminum tubing in 6ft. lengths, which I think are UPS shippable.

If you are going to use that transceiver to transmit on 10m, I hope you
have an amateur radio license. Based on the few occasions when I've
listened to CB lately, I'd say, "Don't bother with that."

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Plumbing section, and buy 3/4 inch galvanized water pipe, in 10 foot
lengths. Be sure to cap the top end, or the pipe will fill with water, and
will rust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message
Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
I'm looking for about 12-15 feet. It's only going to raise my vertical cb/
Ham a99 up over my deck level. It's going to be sitting in the ground,
attached to bottom of deck, which is 7-8 foot off ground.

Look for the chain link fence top rail at a local Home Depot type store.
Maybe even at Tractor Supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"gregz" wrote in message

Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

Greg

15' with it firmly supported at 7-8' won't need a really strong tube.
EMT should be sufficient and probably the cheapest you will get away
with.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012 02:29:54 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:

Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

No, but there's always the Internet.

aluminum poles leonard Woodworking 8 October 22nd 06 05:16 AM
what are those poles called? tg UK diy 19 July 31st 06 10:55 PM
Fibreglass poles Gary Cavie UK diy 19 November 17th 05 08:47 AM
Telephone poles SteveB Home Repair 4 September 27th 05 07:48 PM
Curtain poles JoeBhoy UK diy 2 November 26th 04 04:14 PM