Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default steel poles

On 05/24/12 11:49 pm, gregz wrote:

Going to put up an antenna. I'm going to look see what the home depot has
to offer, but nobody puts up antennas anymore. I used to get telescoping
poles.
Any source ideas locally?

How long of a pole are you looking for?

Back in my TV antenna days (1971 or so) I had a 10' stick of schedule
40 rigid metal conduit going to the rotor, where it was guy wired and
another 10' stick of EMT going to the antenna. That may still be on my
old house.

I'm looking for about 12-15 feet. It's only going to raise my vertical cb/
Ham a99 up over my deck level. It's going to be sitting in the ground,
attached to bottom of deck, which is 7-8 foot off ground.

Back in the 60's I had mail ordered a telescoping set, about 30 foot total.
Going to pull out my 10 meter ssb transceiver, and also try to communicate
on cb.
First time in my life, I live on a hill. The antenna needs about 1 1/2 inch
diameter tube.

And *tube* is what you need, not pipe. Whether EMT conduit fills the
bill, I don't know.

You could look at www.dxengineering.com -- they sell telescoping
aluminum tubing in 6ft. lengths, which I think are UPS shippable.

If you are going to use that transceiver to transmit on 10m, I hope you
have an amateur radio license. Based on the few occasions when I've
listened to CB lately, I'd say, "Don't bother with that."

Perce