Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fence instead of garage!

i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada. Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build? Something can last long
and simple. I am thinking about chain link type of fence!

Any advice would be very much appreciating it.
Take care.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 4:09*pm, leza wang wrote:
i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada. Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build? Something can last long
and simple. I am thinking about chain link type of fence!

Any advice would be very much appreciating it.
Take care.

First, have you found out what it cost to have the garage demolished
and hauled away? Obviously if you leave the slab to park on it'll be
cheaper, but you should get a quote on that and see how much of that
20 - 30K was for removal of the old garage.

Second, it would be really hard or us to tell you what kind of fence
will look right on your property/in your neighborhood since can't see
your house from where we're sitting.

In fact, we don't even know why you need a fence around your parking
spot. Why can't it be left open?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 May 2012 13:09:39 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada. Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build? Something can last long
and simple. I am thinking about chain link type of fence!

Any advice would be very much appreciating it.
Take care.

I've seen garage kits for under $5,000. Buy a kit and put it up
yourself. Get friends to help.

Then again, I rebuilt a garage that tipped over. I used a tractor to
lift it back up. One wall and the roof was salvaged. I built 3 new
walls, then put a used overhead door on it. Total cost was around $700.

If your walls are solid, build a gable roof over it. Cover it with
steel, not shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 7:22*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for your reply. Why i want a fence, because I want to
secure the boarders of my property. How much demolish a garage can
cost? just rought estimation, mine is not doubel garage but it is not
single either, it is something between
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message

i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada.

Most of this cost is for foundations below the frost line, usually required
by the Building Code everywhere in southern Ontario.

Kit-built garages are usually authorized only for commercial farmers
or if dismantled every summer and re-erected in the fall.

Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build?

Demolition of a garage and construction of a fence (on a city lot)
both require building permits and are constrained by regulations
(e.g. as to type and size of fence, its foundations etc.) You find
out this information (free) at the municipal building permits office.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2012 4:09 PM, leza wang wrote:
i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked!

WTF? Did you get that estimate from Mike Holmes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

might be better to repair the existing garage so in the winter the
vehicles will be out of the weather

you could put a traditional roof over the existing flat roof by using
trusses...... and if you wanted the roof storage type trusses , most
homes never have enough storage...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2012 16:08:15 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"leza wang" wrote in message

i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada.

Most of this cost is for foundations below the frost line, usually required
by the Building Code everywhere in southern Ontario.

Kit-built garages are usually authorized only for commercial farmers
or if dismantled every summer and re-erected in the fall.

No, you can buy a lumber kit from a building supply that provides all
the materials to build a standard, code compliant garage. Siding and
shingles are usually extra cost - and required.

Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build?

Demolition of a garage and construction of a fence (on a city lot)
both require building permits and are constrained by regulations
(e.g. as to type and size of fence, its foundations etc.) You find
out this information (free) at the municipal building permits office.

Demolition permit MAY not be required if you knock it over first.
Then it is just "cleanup" - $90 +/- per ton disposal fee for the
garbage, plus haulage. Count on minimum $600 to get rid of it - more
likely $1000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:01:16 -0400, Tommy Silva
wrote:

On 5/23/2012 4:09 PM, leza wang wrote:
i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked!

WTF? Did you get that estimate from Mike Holmes?

Summerwood has kit garages for the canadian market. Material cost is
about $9000 for a 12X20 Archer - including siding and roof.

If you hire out the labour, you double the cost - so $20 grand is NOT
out of line, in Hogtown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 3:09*pm, leza wang wrote:
i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada. Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build? Something can last long
and simple. I am thinking about chain link type of fence!

Any advice would be very much appreciating it.
Take care.

Do you have 3 or more friends to help you? That might make it
possible to straighten the walls and rebuild the roof as a regular
peaked roof, and then you could remove the old roof from the inside.
That way you are just "repairing the garage" and my be able to avoid
getting any permits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 10:10*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

why remove the old flat roof? its leaking wouldnt matter when its
covered by a brand new pitched roof...

I wonder how long this garage has been detoriating? and why it wasnt
maintained at all?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 7:32*am, bob haller wrote:
On May 24, 10:10*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing that it would a lot easier to attach the rafters and
gable ends if the old roof wasn't in the way.

The old roof must extend at least to the top of or even beyond the top
of the walls, so adding rafters and gable end walls would be pretty
difficult with the old roof left in place.

Just a guess...

I wonder how long this garage has been detoriating? and why it wasnt
maintained at all?- Hide quoted text -