Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fence instead of garage!

On Thu, 24 May 2012 16:08:15 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"leza wang" wrote in message

i have detached garage (my backyard separated my house from the
garage). the condition of the garage is really bad. It is falling down
and the roof which is flat has big hole.. One contractor told me it is
going to cost me 20k-3-k to build a garage. I was shocked! I thought
it will be around 5k!! (I live in Toronto, Canada.

Most of this cost is for foundations below the frost line, usually required
by the Building Code everywhere in southern Ontario.

Kit-built garages are usually authorized only for commercial farmers
or if dismantled every summer and re-erected in the fall.

No, you can buy a lumber kit from a building supply that provides all
the materials to build a standard, code compliant garage. Siding and
shingles are usually extra cost - and required.

Now i am thinking
to demolish my garage and just use the space to park my car and then
build fence around my current garage with a gate.

What do you think about this idea? if it is good then what type of
fence I should ask the contractor to build?

Demolition of a garage and construction of a fence (on a city lot)
both require building permits and are constrained by regulations
(e.g. as to type and size of fence, its foundations etc.) You find
out this information (free) at the municipal building permits office.

Demolition permit MAY not be required if you knock it over first.
Then it is just "cleanup" - $90 +/- per ton disposal fee for the
garbage, plus haulage. Count on minimum $600 to get rid of it - more
likely $1000.