Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water bed heater costs a 1$ a day.

http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 May 2012 19:07:15 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

No here. They are using 8¢ a kW. Here in CT we pay about double
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

No here. They are using 8¢ a kW. Here in CT we pay about double
that.

That would mean it's essentially a 500W heater, running 24/7. ...sorta like my
television. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 7:07*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

First, I'm not real impressed with error (by a factor of 10) in the
very first line of their chart...

Second, the waterbed heater only costs a dollar a day (at their 400W
and 8 cents/kWH) if the thermostat is broken and it runs
continuously...
Posted to alt.home.repair

on Wed, 23 May 2012 20:35:39 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On May 23, 7:07*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

First, I'm not real impressed with error (by a factor of 10) in the
very first line of their chart...

Second, the waterbed heater only costs a dollar a day (at their 400W
and 8 cents/kWH) if the thermostat is broken and it runs
continuously...

Exactly-- My hot tub costs about $1/day @15cents/kWh. If it was
heating 24/7 it would cost about $30/day.

Put a couple inches of insulation around the bottom and sides of that
waterbed-- use a big fluffy comforter, turn the heat off in the
room, and the waterbed can reduce your energy use.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 23, 7:07*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

First, I'm not real impressed with error (by a factor of 10) in the
very first line of their chart...

Second, the waterbed heater only costs a dollar a day (at their 400W
and 8 cents/kWH) if the thermostat is broken and it runs
continuously...

I did know that. I was hoping someone with a Kilo meter would jump in
and give a closer estimate. The chart was enough for me to unplug the
bed anyway. No one is sleeping in it at the moment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 23, 7:07 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

First, I'm not real impressed with error (by a factor of 10) in the
very first line of their chart...

Second, the waterbed heater only costs a dollar a day (at their 400W
and 8 cents/kWH) if the thermostat is broken and it runs
continuously...

I did know that. *I was hoping someone with a Kilo meter would jump in
and give a closer estimate.

What you have is NOT any estimate of what it
actually costs to begin with. It's like assuming a
car with a 400hp engine is using gasoline at that
rate all the time, whether it's going 120mph
uphill or sitting in the garage.

The chart was enough for me to unplug the
bed anyway. *No one is sleeping in it at the moment.

Better disconnect your AC and electric water heater
too. They use far higher and scarier amounts of electricity if
somehow you ran them flat out, 24/7
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 23, 7:07*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

First, I'm not real impressed with error (by a factor of 10) in the
very first line of their chart...

Second, the waterbed heater only costs a dollar a day (at their 400W
and 8 cents/kWH) if the thermostat is broken and it runs
continuously...

I did know that. I was hoping someone with a Kilo meter would jump in
and give a closer estimate. The chart was enough for me to unplug the
bed anyway. No one is sleeping in it at the moment.

I'll bet your toaster and hair dryer use more per day. Haven't
had a waterbed in years, but when we did I never noticed any
difference in our electric bill

you should get a Kill-o-watt just for the curiosity factor--
http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation.../dp/B00009MDBU

That one is less than $20 -- I don't know what the difference is if
you pay $8 more for the 4460-

I paid $50 6-8 years ago for mine & it has paid for itself in guiding
me to the *real* thieving appliances. I've never seen one of those
charts worth the time to read them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

you should get a Kill-o-watt just for the curiosity factor--http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B...

That one is less than $20 -- I don't know what the difference is if
you pay $8 more for the 4460-

Not sure either, but when I bought mine the difference
was the more expensive one allowed you to enter your electric cost,
cent per KWH and it saves it and then would display the cost of
running the appliance per hour, day, year, etc. Worth it IMO.

I paid $50 6-8 years ago for mine & it has paid for itself in guiding
me to the *real* thieving appliances. * I've never seen one of those
charts worth the time to read them.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

you should get a Kill-o-watt just for the curiosity factor--
http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation.../dp/B00009MDBU

That one is less than $20 -- I don't know what the difference is if
you pay $8 more for the 4460-

I paid $50 6-8 years ago for mine & it has paid for itself in guiding
me to the *real* thieving appliances. I've never seen one of those
charts worth the time to read them.

Jim

I guess every time someone brings up these readers, I'm confused. I still
need to run the appliances even if they do suck a lot. Knowing how much
they use is not going to make me feel better, probably worse
Dehumidifier, small chest freezer & 2nd fridge in the basement, and yes a
waterbed heater for almost 30 years now. Electric range & 3 door fridge
upstairs. Gas water heater.

Electric bill averages about $100 per month at .12611 cents per kwh, current
rate. I've installed ceiling fans in all the rooms and we are not fond of
AC, so the central unit rarely runs. Living in SE Wisconsin now, but even
when we were living in Las Vegas we set the AC at 78 in summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe J wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

you should get a Kill-o-watt just for the curiosity factor--
http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation.../dp/B00009MDBU

That one is less than $20 -- I don't know what the difference is if
you pay $8 more for the 4460-

I paid $50 6-8 years ago for mine & it has paid for itself in guiding
me to the *real* thieving appliances. I've never seen one of those
charts worth the time to read them.

Jim

I guess every time someone brings up these readers, I'm confused. I
still need to run the appliances even if they do suck a lot. Knowing
how much they use is not going to make me feel better, probably
worse

They help you make decisions. Like exactly how much is that old, inefficient
fridge costing you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 May 2012 22:57:15 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Joe J wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

you should get a Kill-o-watt just for the curiosity factor--
http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation.../dp/B00009MDBU

That one is less than $20 -- I don't know what the difference is if
you pay $8 more for the 4460-

I paid $50 6-8 years ago for mine & it has paid for itself in guiding
me to the *real* thieving appliances. I've never seen one of those
charts worth the time to read them.

Jim

I guess every time someone brings up these readers, I'm confused. I
still need to run the appliances even if they do suck a lot. Knowing
how much they use is not going to make me feel better, probably
worse

They help you make decisions. Like exactly how much is that old, inefficient
fridge costing you?

Exactly-- That's how mine paid for itself. Turned out the 8yr old
fridge was using 4 times as much electricity as the 30 yr old freezer.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:07:15 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

This is "One Dollar"="$1". This is "One Cent"="1¢".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Joe J wrote:
[...]

That's pretty surprising. Was something wrong with the fridge?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

Exactly-- That's how mine paid for itself. Turned out the 8yr old
fridge was using 4 times as much electricity as the 30 yr old freezer.

That's pretty surprising. Was something wrong with the fridge?

My guess was there was a defrost cycle stuck on-- But somebody put a
good one on sale so I didn't even try to figure out what the problem
was. Replaced it and paid for the toy.

The electric bill went back to normal and the freezer lasted a few
more years.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 23, 7:07Â*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.bcremc.com/appliance.html

First, I'm not real impressed with error (by a factor of 10) in the
very first line of their chart...

Second, the waterbed heater only costs a dollar a day (at their 400W
and 8 cents/kWH) if the thermostat is broken and it runs
continuously...

I did know that. I was hoping someone with a Kilo meter would jump in
and give a closer estimate. The chart was enough for me to unplug the
bed anyway. No one is sleeping in it at the moment.

During the winter time.. I plug my WB heater in during the coldest
nights and use 2 to 3 kWh's a day. I use two layers of comfortors
to keep the heat loss to the room down.