Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Question...

i have a hole about 12 x 12 in a closet
that i want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he can put
a piece of wood in it then screw it in

My question is can he not get a piece of drywall and fix it that way so
there won't be a mess and basically blen it in with the other part.
Knowing him he will make a mess and since i own this place i don't want
it visible when i sell

Is this is possible can you tell me how to do it so when he comes i will
sound like i know what i"m talking about...lol

Thanks For Replies

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Question...P.S.

i forgot to mention it is a hole in the ceiling of closet.

Thanks Again

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, try using
proper grammar and punctuation.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Morning Glory" wrote in message

i[capitalize] have a hole about 12 x 12[what unit? Miles? Parsecs? in a
closet
that i[capitalize] want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he
can put
a piece of wood in it then screw it in[period]

My question is[colon] can he not get a piece of drywall and fix it that way
so
there won't be a mess and basically blen[blen?] it in with the other
part.[Questions end with question mark, not period.]
Knowing him[comma] he will make a mess[period, Capital] and since i[capital]
own this place i[capital] don't want
it visible when i[capital] sell[period]

Is this is possible can you tell me how to do it so when he comes
i[capitalize] will
sound like i[capitalize] know what i"m[capitalize, semicolon] talking
about...lol[laughing at the end of a question makes you sound like an
airhead.]

Thanks For[no caps] Replies[no caps; period]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take a remedial English class, please.
Look to your local community college, and
maybe adult ed classes.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Morning Glory" wrote in message

i forgot to mention it is a hole in the ceiling of closet.

Thanks Again

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

If you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, try using
proper grammar and punctuation.

And NEVER, EVER top post.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2012 12:59:55 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 5/14/2012 12:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:45:32 -0400, (Morning Glory)
wrote:

i have a hole about 12 x 12 in a closet
that i want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he can put
a piece of wood in it then screw it in

That works.

My question is can he not get a piece of drywall and fix it that way so
there won't be a mess and basically blen it in with the other part.
Knowing him he will make a mess and since i own this place i don't want
it visible when i sell

Is this is possible can you tell me how to do it so when he comes i will
sound like i know what i"m talking about...lol

Thanks For Replies

Look at the 'California Patch'. (says it's best on 6" x 6" but it may
work for you). Also known as a 'no cladding' patch.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kfw8M-a0pE

Nice technique to know.

As for op's question, I might use the wood solution.

Many years ago I accidentally stepped through the ceiling of my wife's
closet while working in the attic. Dry wall patch would have required
cutting and sanding making it necessary to take clothes out of the
closet. I just took an old piece of wood paneling, nailed it over the
hole and painted it white. You'd never know it unless you went in the
closet and looked at the ceiling with a flashlight.

I may be wrong, but it seems the OP is talking about using 1 x wood
slats to place behind the hole (screwed) and then securing the drywall
to the slats with screws?

That approach works well for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Morning Glory" wrote in message

i forgot to mention it is a hole in the ceiling of closet.

Thanks Again

Take a remedial Usenet class please.

Google for "top posting".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" writes:

If you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, try
using proper grammar and punctuation.

And NEVER, EVER top post.

You beat me to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:06:11 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Hard to say without her coming back. If this is a condo where super is
responsible for maintenance, maybe she should get the best of patches.

.... and the super gets a pot-roast dinner
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Morning Glory" wrote in message

i have a hole about 12 x 12 in a closet
that i want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he can put
a piece of wood in it then screw it in

My question is can he not get a piece of drywall and fix it that way so
there won't be a mess and basically blen it in with the other part.
Knowing him he will make a mess and since i own this place i don't want
it visible when i sell

Is this is possible can you tell me how to do it so when he comes i will
sound like i know what i"m talking about...lol

The practical point is that the repair to be robust (i.e. not fall out by
itself next year.) This requires supporting the patch so there is no
strain on the adhesive at its edges (under the tape and drywall
compound that make the patch invisible.) If you Google for
drywall repair you will see pictures that explain this.Your super's "piece
of wood" may be this support, that can be nailed or screwed to something
solid. But if you know "he will make a mess" we do not understand
why you consider him to make this repair.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

www.exmormon.org
.

"Morning Glory" wrote in message

i forgot to mention it is a hole in the ceiling of closet.

Thanks Again

Take a remedial Usenet class please.

Google for "top posting".

Bob,

No hope.
He's belligerent about it.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2012 1:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, try using
proper grammar and punctuation.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

English may not be his first language. At least the guy is trying to
communicate and learn, and anyone that is asking for help or willing to
learn from others is a-ok in my books.

The best chance to learn a language is between the ages of 1 and 6 and
perhaps the poster was not raised in an English speaking household.
Perhaps he is a lazy typer and perhaps not. I just like his willingness
to learn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Morning Glory" wrote in message

i have a hole about 12 x 12 in a closet
that i want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he can put
a piece of wood in it then screw it in

My question is can he not get a piece of drywall and fix it that way so
there won't be a mess and basically blen it in with the other part.
Knowing him he will make a mess and since i own this place i don't want
it visible when i sell

Is this is possible can you tell me how to do it so when he comes i will
sound like i know what i"m talking about...lol

Thanks For Replies

Proper technique for that size is to
1) Screw a 2x4 across the verticals (2x4)
2) Screw the piece of drywall to the 2x4
3) Tape and mud to cover the edges
4) Paint