Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Drywall Question...

On 5/14/2012 12:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:45:32 -0400, (Morning Glory)
wrote:

i have a hole about 12 x 12 in a closet
that i want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he can put
a piece of wood in it then screw it in

That works.

My question is can he not get a piece of drywall and fix it that way so
there won't be a mess and basically blen it in with the other part.
Knowing him he will make a mess and since i own this place i don't want
it visible when i sell

Is this is possible can you tell me how to do it so when he comes i will
sound like i know what i"m talking about...lol

Thanks For Replies

Look at the 'California Patch'. (says it's best on 6" x 6" but it may
work for you). Also known as a 'no cladding' patch.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kfw8M-a0pE

Nice technique to know.

As for op's question, I might use the wood solution.

Many years ago I accidentally stepped through the ceiling of my wife's
closet while working in the attic. Dry wall patch would have required
cutting and sanding making it necessary to take clothes out of the
closet. I just took an old piece of wood paneling, nailed it over the
hole and painted it white. You'd never know it unless you went in the
closet and looked at the ceiling with a flashlight.