Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water from AC runoff

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 May 2012 19:47:00 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Harmful to pets drinking it, that is.
We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It
doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out
food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Harmful to pets drinking it, that is.
We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It
doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out
food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.

Why would you risk it if you already have a solution in place?

I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about
what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace.
No problem, it's safe.
So, I can put it on my vegetable garden?
Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Harmful to pets drinking it, that is.
We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It
doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out
food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.

Why would you risk it if you already have a solution in place?

Well the barricade is a little inconvenient since the drain is also
the unfinished shower drain. The shower is so unfinished it doesn't
even have a shower curtain, but it does have a door that locks and a
window curtain.

I agree with you, though. Better safe.

I think next time I am at the hardware store I will get an elbow and
turn the tube into the drain.

I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about
what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace.
No problem, it's safe.
So, I can put it on my vegetable garden?
Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2012 7:47 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Would you drink it?

In seriousness, your idea of directing it directly into a drain is the
best. Don't even use it for vegatable gardening.

Same with your dehumidifier water. Best saved for flowers or non food
plants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than
rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have a
bit of mold included with the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Would I drink it? No. Will it harm me? Probably not, but it may
contain mold or other contaminants from sitting around, dust from the
coils, etc. Drain pans can get pretty icky at times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It all depends how clean the evaporator coil is. If mold and algae are
growing in there, it may be some stuff in the water. If your AC coil is
cleaned every few years, the water should be OK.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The condensate from high efficiency furnace, supposed to have acids and
products of combustion. I'd not want me or pets to drink that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"mike" wrote in message

I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about
what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace.
No problem, it's safe.
So, I can put it on my vegetable garden?
Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, yeah. A bit of mold. Like what sickened the American Legion meet in that
big hotel?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than
rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have a
bit of mold included with the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Would I drink it? No. Will it harm me? Probably not, but it may
contain mold or other contaminants from sitting around, dust from the
coils, etc. Drain pans can get pretty icky at times.

It could possibly have some tin & lead in it from solder joints in the
evaporator coil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Water from AC runoff:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I have collected and used the condensate from my home AC as drinking
water water for my 2 dogs and 2 cats for 15 years and never had a
problem. It provides a nice clean cool water source that doesn't
have to be refilled by me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

That's closer to distilled water than anything else. I cant see where
it would be harmful at all. It's just condensation from moisture in the
air, which freezes to the coils, then melts off. I would not worry
about it at all. Granted, it may contain a little dirt from the air
flowing thru, but if you look at what pets eat when they are outdoors,
especially dogs, that tiny amount of dirt wont harm them. I'd rather
they drink that, then toilet water and what pet has not drank from the
toilet.

As far as water from a high efficiency furnace, that's a different
matter. I would not want a pet drinking that since it contains junk
from combustion. Regardless what the gas company says, I'd not let pets
drink that. But water from an AC is just moisture from the air and is
safe. The same would be true from a dehumidifier, which operates the
same way. It's also safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the evaporator, tray, and tubing are clean, the water should be fine for
man or beast to drink. That said, few people clean their evaporators. Ever.
So, without seeing your set up, it doesn't seem like a good idea to let them
drink it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

Harmful to pets drinking it, that is.
We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It
doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out
food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did a gas company ever say it's ok to drink condensate from
their gas? Somehow I think not.

*But water from an AC is just moisture from the air and is
safe. *The same would be true from a dehumidifier, which operates the
same way. *It's also safe.

I guess you never looked in the bottom of a dehumidifier or
AC. They are never cleaned and accumulate years of dirt,
bacteria or mold. AC drains get clogged by algae or bacteria
causing them to overflow. You'd have to be an idiot
to give that to a pet as a source of drinking water. Are
they automatically going to get sick if they drink it? No.
But neither are they sure to die if you let them run around
outside and cross the street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP could buy a condensate pump and send the water to say a washtub or
other convenient location. these pumps arentn expensive and no more
lines laying n the floor as a trip hazard
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"NotMe" wrote in message

Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than
rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have
bit of mold included with the water.

If you have what sickened the Legion's DX you've a lot more problems than
you'll get from drinking the water.

An interesting article. Some comments are on target as always others are
way out there. I'd go for the direct compression of the atmosphere as you'd
get water and a source of power (not very efficient but waste power
otherwise)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/3...m_medium=email

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, yeah. A bit of mold. Like what sickened the American Legion meet
in that big hotel?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mold?? Legionaires disease?? You think these are the same?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, yeah. A bit of mold. Like what sickened the American Legion meet
in that big hotel?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mold?? Legionaires disease?? You think these are the same?????

As a list of things not wanted ... yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:47:00 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived to be 18 years.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2012 14:21:17 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:47:00 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived to be 18 years.

Well there you go. I am not letting my pets drink it. It is deadly

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:47:00 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived to be 18 years.

Well there you go. I am not letting my pets drink it. It is deadly

Right! Our first cat never drank the stuff and lived to 21. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2012 15:52:52 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, yeah. A bit of mold. Like what sickened the American Legion meet
in that big hotel?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mold?? Legionaires disease?? You think these are the same?????

As a list of things not wanted ... yes.

Legionairre's disease is inhaled, right? Any mold or whatever that
one drinks will be acid-washed and killed by your digestive system.

Plus I doubt you'd have any mold in that water unless you have other
mold in the basement where the AC is. When AC is running, it runs
quite a bit and flushes itself.

The water is distilled water, with a little of whatever is in the air.
The air that circulates though an AC is the same air everyone in the
house, including the dogs, breath. If it doesn't harm your lungs, it
surely won't harm your digestive track.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:47:00 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived to be 18 years.

But you admit that it died!!. Did you have it checked for
air-conditioner-necrosis?

Just kidding.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2012 14:58:26 -0400, micky
wrote:

Plus I doubt you'd have any mold in that water unless you have other
mold in the basement where the AC is. When AC is running, it runs
quite a bit and flushes itself.

Most homes do have mold. It may not be visible, it may not be
growing, but it is there. Unless that Ac is running all the time,
water sits in the pan for some length of time and collects dust and
whatever blows over the coil. Dust, skin, dander, pollen, whatever.

The water is distilled water, with a little of whatever is in the air.
The air that circulates though an AC is the same air everyone in the
house, including the dogs, breath. If it doesn't harm your lungs, it
surely won't harm your digestive track.

Your nose helps filter the air as you breath. The drip pan is
concentrating all that crap and steeping it in the water. How much,
if any, it truly harms you is subject to what is there. In any case,
I don't find it appealing at all.

If I was locked in a room with that AC for days, I'd drink it before
the option of dying, but given a choice, I can think of many other
higher rated places to fill my cup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most homes do have mold. It may not be visible, it may not be
growing, but it is there. Unless that Ac is running all the time,
water sits in the pan for some length of time and collects dust and
whatever blows over the coil. Dust, skin, dander, pollen, whatever.

An examination that could be done by any professional person armed with
Petri dishes, swabs, et al, would reveal a very wide range of molds,
bacteria and even disease. Bread molds when someone leaves the bag open for
a short time. Mold is so common, it is unreal, but since it isn't visible,
most people think they live in some bubble somewhere.

The nastiest place in anyone's house is the kitchen sink, followed by
bathrooms. Buy a good UV flashlight, and have a look around in the dark.
It's scary.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:47:00 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an
exposed 3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived
to be 18 years.

But you admit that it died!!. Did you have it checked for
air-conditioner-necrosis?

Just kidding.

Go ahead an laugh! Recent research has shown that those who ate pickles
before 1910 are, today, either dead or have white hair and no teeth.

In attempting to discover the relationship, scientists at Rutgers University
force-fed five pounds of pickles to laboratory rats. Almost immediately, the
test rats developed distended bellies and became lethargic (the already had
white hair).

Further research is ongoing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:47:00 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an
exposed 3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived
to be 18 years.

But you admit that it died!!. Did you have it checked for
air-conditioner-necrosis?

Just kidding.

Go ahead an laugh! Recent research has shown that those who ate pickles
before 1910 are, today, either dead or have white hair and no teeth.

In attempting to discover the relationship, scientists at Rutgers University
force-fed five pounds of pickles to laboratory rats. Almost immediately, the
test rats developed distended bellies and became lethargic (the already had
white hair).

Further research is ongoing.

World worst job: Lab rat
Close second: Crack whore
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote

World worst job: Lab rat
Close second: Crack whore

What's the difference between a lab rat and a lawyer?

There are some things a lab rat won't do.

Steve

Water runoff - drybed/drywell (sort of) [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 17th 10 03:27 PM
water runoff from resurfaced driveway KLS Home Ownership 22 August 7th 08 03:29 AM
Excessive water runoff JJ Home Repair 1 June 16th 05 03:18 AM
Hot water heater runoff in backyard david Home Repair 5 April 4th 05 04:14 PM
question about water runoff G Henslee Home Repair 21 March 23rd 05 09:35 PM