Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water from AC runoff

On May 7, 4:54*am, wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 19:47:00 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed
3/8 tube. *Would that water be harmful to pets?

That's closer to distilled water than anything else. *I cant see where
it would be harmful at all. *It's just condensation from moisture in the
air, which freezes to the coils, then melts off. *I would not worry
about it at all. *Granted, it may contain a little dirt from the air
flowing thru, but if you look at what pets eat when they are outdoors,
especially dogs, that tiny amount of dirt wont harm them. *I'd rather
they drink that, then toilet water and what pet has not drank from the
toilet.

As far as water from a high efficiency furnace, that's a different
matter. *I would not want a pet drinking that since it contains junk
from combustion. *Regardless what the gas company says, I'd not let pets
drink that.

Did a gas company ever say it's ok to drink condensate from
their gas? Somehow I think not.

*But water from an AC is just moisture from the air and is
safe. *The same would be true from a dehumidifier, which operates the
same way. *It's also safe.

I guess you never looked in the bottom of a dehumidifier or
AC. They are never cleaned and accumulate years of dirt,
bacteria or mold. AC drains get clogged by algae or bacteria
causing them to overflow. You'd have to be an idiot
to give that to a pet as a source of drinking water. Are
they automatically going to get sick if they drink it? No.
But neither are they sure to die if you let them run around
outside and cross the street.