Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter Crypt

Time to check our gutters folks.....

A couple of years ago I put gutter cages at the top of all of my
downspouts.... or I thought I did.

This past week we started hearing noises from our gutter but we have
birds perching on them all the time so I wasn't concerned. A couple
of days ago I pulled out the ladder to see if there was any debris,
especially near the ends.

Nope. Pretty clean.

An hour or so ago my wife walked out and noticed a real ruckus coming
from one of the downspouts. When she walked over to it she realized
it was coming from the area above an elbow about 3' above the bottom.
I pulled the spout apart at the elbow and out came a bird. I was
felling good about the rescue when I realized there was still noise
coming from the pipe. Dug some nest material out and here came two
more birds; and then two bodies. Still more digging and two more came
flying out - seven total. The pipe was packed so solid that a garden
hose just backed water up into the pipe. Finally got it all cleaned
out and reassembled.

I guess I missed one with the cages.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 5:21*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

We don't have anything covering our gutters -- and have to clean them
frequently because our neighbor's giant oak trees shed leaves most of
the time. We cleaned them out a few weeks ago and yesterday we had to
do it again. My son climbed the ladder and put the hose down far
enough so the water would push the leaves out....nothing came out ....
then suddenly I looked down at where the downspout meets the ground
and saw what looked like a clump of leaves. I reached down to dig it
out -- and it suddenly jumped out. It was a frog.Scared me! Soon as
the frog jumped out the water started coming through like it should.
Don't know if the frog had been stuck in there or what ....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Update Gutter Crypt - More Birds

On May 3, 4:21*pm, RonB wrote:
Update.

After removing 5 live blackbrids and two bodies from a bend in my
downspout yesterday I felt like a rescuer and undertaker. I also put
anther downspout cage on my list for the next trip to a larger
neighboring town.

This morning I walked out on the deck and heard similar sounds. I
tapped on the downspout at the crook about 3' from the bottom and
heard fluttering inside. got my socket set, pulled the elbow apart
and out came a bird. Behind him was more weeds and grass from the new
nest being built. Pulled on the nest material and out came bird #2,
then #3. That totals 10 birds in less than 24 hours.

Went ahead and drove to Ace down the road and got the $#@&% cage.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
On May 3, 4:21 pm, RonB wrote:
Update.

After removing 5 live blackbrids and two bodies from a bend in my
downspout yesterday I felt like a rescuer and undertaker. I also put
anther downspout cage on my list for the next trip to a larger
neighboring town.

This morning I walked out on the deck and heard similar sounds. I
tapped on the downspout at the crook about 3' from the bottom and
heard fluttering inside. got my socket set, pulled the elbow apart
and out came a bird. Behind him was more weeds and grass from the new
nest being built. Pulled on the nest material and out came bird #2,
then #3. That totals 10 birds in less than 24 hours.

Went ahead and drove to Ace down the road and got the $#@&% cage.

RonB

You're heading toward four and twenty -- time to bake a pie?

Tomsic

Gutter repair, covers, Ned Stevens, New England Gutter Kings Jonathan Kamens Home Ownership 5 December 30th 09 02:31 PM
dog leg gutter stuart noble UK diy 2 June 2nd 08 04:40 PM
Gutter covers - yes or no? Liz Home Repair 20 December 30th 05 04:54 PM
Gutter slope? Robertm Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 03:19 AM
gutter cap [email protected] Home Ownership 0 June 30th 05 04:33 AM