Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Want to know about paint?

Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite well...what's in
them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 7:55*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite well...what's in
them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

The link didn't work....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:55 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite
well...what's in them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

The link didn't work....

What did it do? The link is a direct PDF download, you may have to click on
something to authorize that.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 7:23*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:55*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite well...what's in
them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

The link didn't work....

Link didn't work, but pasting the link did work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in :

wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:55 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite
well...what's in them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

The link didn't work....

What did it do? The link is a direct PDF download, you may have to
click on something to authorize that.

Link worked fine for me. You'll notice that both non-successful readers are
Googlers...

That's an interesting article, by the way, especially the description of
the curing process of acrylic latex. I now understand just why you should
never paint with acrylic latex when the temperature is below 50F.

It's also interesting that there are differing levels convertibility
(chemical reaction as part of the curing process) between different types
of "convertible" paint formulae. Not being a chemist, I had assumed that
reactive materials all reacted to the same degree; i.e.:that reaction
either occurred or it did not.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

"dadiOH" wrote in
:

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

Further... there appears to be a small mistake in the article. Or maybe
it's just a detail that got left out: They mention the banning of white
lead as a pigment in the '70s. That's only partially true. White lead
continues to be in common use for industrial applications. Paint used for
machinery, for instance. I think there is a new push on to ban that too, as
part of the new Consumer Safety legislation. Apparently the lawmakers are
worried that kids will be chewing on their bicycle frames, or something
like that.

It's the presence of industrial paints containing white lead that caused
HIT Entertainment's problems a few years ago with their "Thomas the Tank
Engine" toys. Apparently the Chinese manufacturer used industrial paint by
mistake (or on purpose...) instead of the correct paint they were supposed
to use.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

Further... there appears to be a small mistake in the article. Or
maybe it's just a detail that got left out: They mention the banning
of white lead as a pigment in the '70s. That's only partially true.
White lead continues to be in common use for industrial applications.
Paint used for machinery, for instance.

Whup. Mistake is mine. I missed where they said that lead-chromate pigments
are still in use for automotive application. Probably was lead-chromate
that HIT used, not white lead.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:55*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite well...what's in
them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

The link didn't work....

It did for me...- Hide quoted text -

I had an error message when I clicked on the link, cut and paste
worked perfectly, who knows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2012 7:55 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite well...what's in
them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

Excellent article. The take-home messages for me a

1. Match the paint to the application. (Yes, that's obvious.)

2. Beware of claims that a particular product excels in all properties.
There are too many trade-offs between the various components of any
paint for a single product to excel in all (ease of application, quick
drying, hiding power from a single coat, durability, fade resistance,
washability, weather resistance, price, etc.).

(The article was published in 2003. I wonder what the company would say
about some of today's paints that claim to be self-priming.)

3. Don't economize by using leftover paint from one application in
another very dissimilar one (eg., exterior vs. interior; metal vs.
wallboard vs. wood).

4. In paints, there's a reason the expensive one are so: the ingredients
(pigments of certain colors, for example) simply cost more. Contrary to
the core philosophy of Consumer Reports - that good products aren't
necessarily the most expensive ones - in paints, you get what you pay for.

Too bad the article didn't discuss the primers, or even offer one he
http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/probsolv/probsolv.htm

They do have an interesting article about maintaining a painted surface
and initial preparation.
http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...d_surfaces.htm

Note these sentences: "A quality three-coat acrylic system can be
expected to perform on timber weatherboards for 7–10 years. An oil-based
or alkyd system may only last 4–6 years." Makes you wonder about claims
for much longer times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message
[...]

The surface has a lot to do with the time that the paint lasts. The numbers
that you quoted for timber weatherboards are similar to my experience, but
the paint on my present house that's sided with Hardie Plank (cement board
siding) has already lasted 9 years and is probably OK for another 2-3.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 07:23:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The link didn't work....

It's time for you to buy a new computer!!!!