Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_2_] Tomsic[_2_] is offline

Default Want to know about paint?

"Rebel1" wrote in message
On 4/21/2012 7:55 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Here's a PDF that explains various types of paint quite well...what's in
them, characteristics, etc,

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...canofpaint.pdf

Excellent article. The take-home messages for me a

1. Match the paint to the application. (Yes, that's obvious.)

2. Beware of claims that a particular product excels in all properties.
There are too many trade-offs between the various components of any paint
for a single product to excel in all (ease of application, quick drying,
hiding power from a single coat, durability, fade resistance, washability,
weather resistance, price, etc.).

(The article was published in 2003. I wonder what the company would say
about some of today's paints that claim to be self-priming.)

3. Don't economize by using leftover paint from one application in another
very dissimilar one (eg., exterior vs. interior; metal vs. wallboard vs.
wood).

4. In paints, there's a reason the expensive one are so: the ingredients
(pigments of certain colors, for example) simply cost more. Contrary to
the core philosophy of Consumer Reports - that good products aren't
necessarily the most expensive ones - in paints, you get what you pay for.

Too bad the article didn't discuss the primers, or even offer one he
http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/probsolv/probsolv.htm

They do have an interesting article about maintaining a painted surface
and initial preparation.
http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/prob...d_surfaces.htm

Note these sentences: "A quality three-coat acrylic system can be expected
to perform on timber weatherboards for 710 years. An oil-based or alkyd
system may only last 46 years." Makes you wonder about claims for much
longer times.

The surface has a lot to do with the time that the paint lasts. The numbers
that you quoted for timber weatherboards are similar to my experience, but
the paint on my present house that's sided with Hardie Plank (cement board
siding) has already lasted 9 years and is probably OK for another 2-3.

Tomsic