Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need chain for chain hoist.....

I bought a ratcheting chain hoise at an auction, which works, but came
without the chain. The chain is supposed to enter one hole and exit the
other. There is a sprocket inside that apparently advances the chain
one link per tooth on that sprocket. Even though chain is costly, I got
that thing really cheap, so it's worth fixing. The question is how to
determine the chain link size????? Do they all have the same size
chain, or are all brands different? Maybe I'll have to try and locate
the manufacturer for the specs, but I find more and more companies just
totally ignore emails these days, and put the person on hold forever
when you call them.

Anyone familiar with these things and the chain size?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:26:42 -0500, Caesar Romano wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 03:11:03 -0500, wrote Re
Need chain for chain hoist.....:

I bought a ratcheting chain hoise at an auction, which works, but came
without the chain. The chain is supposed to enter one hole and exit the
other. There is a sprocket inside that apparently advances the chain
one link per tooth on that sprocket. Even though chain is costly, I got
that thing really cheap, so it's worth fixing. The question is how to
determine the chain link size????? Do they all have the same size
chain, or are all brands different? Maybe I'll have to try and locate
the manufacturer for the specs, but I find more and more companies just
totally ignore emails these days, and put the person on hold forever
when you call them.

Anyone familiar with these things and the chain size?

Thanks

Take the hoist to a hardware store that sells chain and try feeding
some chain into the hoist. See which size fits best.

Assuming you find a correct size, how will you join the two ends after
you thread it through the hoist? Will a chain link fit through the
hoist?

Guess that is a good idea to take it to hardware store. The 2 ends dont
need to be attached. This is a ratcheting hoist, sort of like a huge
comealong. One end gets a hook, the other ends needs some sort of stop
such as a large bolt or just another hook.

Thanks for the help

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
I bought a ratcheting chain hoise at an auction, which works, but came
without the chain. The chain is supposed to enter one hole and exit the
other. There is a sprocket inside that apparently advances the chain
one link per tooth on that sprocket. Even though chain is costly, I got
that thing really cheap, so it's worth fixing. The question is how to
determine the chain link size????? Do they all have the same size
chain, or are all brands different? Maybe I'll have to try and locate
the manufacturer for the specs, but I find more and more companies just
totally ignore emails these days, and put the person on hold forever
when you call them.

Anyone familiar with these things and the chain size?

Thanks

Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer. The sizes on these
vary with capacity and some use a proprietary size and link shape rather
than a standard chain size. Even if you identify the correct chain size,
you still need to know the minimum grade useable for the lifting capacity
and configuration of that particular hoist.

If you can't get info from the manufacturer, and really want to pursue it,
try taking it to an industrial supplier where you can try different sizes
out, then purchase something like grade 80 alloy chain in the size that works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2012 3:11 AM, wrote:
I bought a ratcheting chain hoise at an auction, which works, but came
without the chain. The chain is supposed to enter one hole and exit the
other. There is a sprocket inside that apparently advances the chain
one link per tooth on that sprocket. Even though chain is costly, I got
that thing really cheap, so it's worth fixing. The question is how to
determine the chain link size????? Do they all have the same size
chain, or are all brands different? Maybe I'll have to try and locate
the manufacturer for the specs, but I find more and more companies just
totally ignore emails these days, and put the person on hold forever
when you call them.

Anyone familiar with these things and the chain size?

Thanks

The last ratcheting chain hoist I had was a Yale brand and the chain
looked much like an oversized motorcycle chain. The problem with looking
for a replacement chain for a conventional type chain hoist at a typical
hardware store is the certified load rating of the chain. If you
are serious about safety, the best chain to use is one meant for use in
a hoist. The best source for a replacement chain may be a supplier like
W.W. Grainger or Ace Industries.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/lev...ecatalog/N-9sf

http://tinyurl.com/7gmaqmv

http://www.aceindustries.com/c-24-ho...s.aspx?Filter=[EntityIDs=%%2870%29%*Sort=5*ava=0]#Filter=[pagenum=1*EntityIDs=@%2870%29@*Sort=5*ava=0]