Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toolbox comparison tests

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/hand-tools/the-toughest-new-toolboxes-abusive-lab-test-8048795?click=pm_news

Spoiler:
Dewalt & Husky tied for first place. Kobalt came in last.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 17, 6:30*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/hand-tools/the-toughest-...

Spoiler:
Dewalt & Husky tied for first place. Kobalt came in last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfqjA6mhGo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:30:33 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/hand-tools/the-toughest-new-toolboxes-abusive-lab-test-8048795?click=pm_news

Spoiler:
Dewalt & Husky tied for first place. Kobalt came in last.

They say "Husky Wins!" at the end, because it doesn't tip over when
empty. Really? Who cares?
Toolboxes is a good topic.
Mainly because I feel like talking about it.
I've had many, and have my own "homeowner's" view about them.
Mainly, drawered toolboxes are only good for small stuff that doesn't
hang well.
Chisels, hacksaw blades, sockets, etc.
But the molded cases socket sets come in are best for them.
Likewise, tools with accessories are best kept in the original molded
cases. My HF multi-tool and Dremel are examples.
I also use some cheap Sears plastic toolboxes that I paid 5 bucks each
for on sale. Pretty much like those tested, but at 1/4 the price.
A couple got hosed when my son ran over them, but Pop Mech didn't run
that test.
Anyway, I only use them to store "special" seldom-used stuff, like
pickle forks, dent pullers, etc. Still have a dwell meter, timing
light, vacuum gages and other related stuff in one.
That one is kind of pointless now.
They just keep stuff out of the way, and in a go-to place.
Here's my bottom line.
One drawered toolbox big enough for your small stuff.
Cheap boxes for seldom used stuff.
Pegboard and nails to hang everything else you don't want on the work
bench shelves. I keep drills, power sanders, etc on the shelves under
my workbenches.
How do you get tools to where you're working?
Not by lugging around heavy toolboxes full of stuff you don't need.
I use a carpenters box or a 5-gallon plastic pail.
Yeah, sometimes I go back for something I forgot to bring.
What's new?

--

Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

Observations:
1. Your HF Miracle Tool came in a case? Mine came in a cardboard box.
2. Each Black Friday, somebody has tool boxes for $5.00. I usually get two
or three. I use them to store a tool that has several parts: The HF Miracle
Tool, a rotary dremel and all its bits, telephone butt set and attachements,
power planer, etc. Each box has the name of the stuff it contains on a label
attached to the end of the box. The boxes - I count six - are stacked on a
shelf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:29:59 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Observations:
1. Your HF Miracle Tool came in a case? Mine came in a cardboard box.

Yep. High-end variable speed. The Tiffany version.

2. Each Black Friday, somebody has tool boxes for $5.00. I usually get two
or three. I use them to store a tool that has several parts: The HF Miracle
Tool, a rotary dremel and all its bits, telephone butt set and attachements,
power planer, etc. Each box has the name of the stuff it contains on a label
attached to the end of the box. The boxes - I count six - are stacked on a
shelf.

My Dremels also have cases that hold the accessories, all I need of
them at any rate. Except the flex extension, which I keep in my
drawered box.
I don't label my cheap boxes, just go by weight. Only have 3 now, and
one is empty.

--

Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Observations:
1. Your HF Miracle Tool came in a case? Mine came in a cardboard box.

Yep. High-end variable speed. The Tiffany version.

2. Each Black Friday, somebody has tool boxes for $5.00. I usually get two
or three. I use them to store a tool that has several parts: The HF Miracle
Tool, a rotary dremel and all its bits, telephone butt set and attachements,
power planer, etc. Each box has the name of the stuff it contains on a label
attached to the end of the box. The boxes - I count six - are stacked on a
shelf.

My Dremels also have cases that hold the accessories, all I need of
them at any rate. Except the flex extension, which I keep in my
drawered box.
I don't label my cheap boxes, just go by weight. Only have 3 now, and
one is empty.

I must have the Tiffany version of the Dremel.

Case holds Dremel, flex extension, engraver, circle cutting jig, and
just about every bit, disk and drum I could ever need.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I returned some really old stuff to Lowes, used a couple of gift cards
that I had been given and paid $15 out of pocket for the kit, including
an engraver tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:32:01 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I must have the Tiffany version of the Dremel.

Case holds Dremel, flex extension, engraver, circle cutting jig, and
just about every bit, disk and drum I could ever need.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Nice, very nice. Next time I'll get that.

--
Vic

PAT tests Sky UK diy 4 October 23rd 07 09:03 PM
Video on joint tests [email protected] Woodworking 6 March 28th 07 04:52 PM
pregnancy tests davidrsalsbury UK diy 7 March 9th 07 09:59 AM
Shower pan tests? Savoire Faire Home Repair 4 July 20th 05 12:32 PM