Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove? exposed tar coating on foundation cinder block

I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the
house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block.
The previosuly underground cinder block has tar coating
(waterproofing) on it. The wife _hates_ how it looks. I think it
would be awful to tar the rest of the wall, and I doubt the existing
tar will come off without a sandblaster (or a pressure washer so
strong that it would damage the cinder block). Any suggestions on
what might look nicer?

Thanks,
Theodore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:02:14 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the
house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block.
The previosuly underground cinder block has tar coating
(waterproofing) on it. The wife _hates_ how it looks. I think it
would be awful to tar the rest of the wall, and I doubt the existing
tar will come off without a sandblaster (or a pressure washer so
strong that it would damage the cinder block). Any suggestions on
what might look nicer?

Thanks,
Theodore.

That tar is protecting your basement and foundation from leakage which
will not only leak into the basement, but could cause severe damage to
the foundation. Do not remove it.

Women hate everything that protects them. This includes tar on their
foundation walls, and the men who protect them, including their
husbands. The recommended procedure is to get rid of the wife, and thus
save the house foundation.

Although, there is the slight possibility that your wife could sew a
quilt to cover that wall, or make a macrame thingie out of yarn for it.
Just let her create some sort of useless woman thingie for it. Who
knows, she might wallpaper it, or even hire all the city gangbangers to
spray paint grafitti on it. Or she might cover it with peel and stick
floor tiles (women love those things).

As the *MAN* in the house, your job is to protect the house, even if
that means getting rid of the wife. It's a tough decision, but it must
be done. But before you dump the wife, why not let her cover it with
some really ugly women craft crap. Who knows, maybe both you and the
wife can continue to live there, just as long as you ignore a really
ugly wall.

PS. If you're pussy whipped, and insist on kissing her ass, and harming
the house, by removing the tar, use your wife's hair dryer to soften the
tar, then use her tongue to lick it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 12:02*am, millinghill wrote:
I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the
house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block.
The previosuly underground cinder block has tar coating
(waterproofing) on it. *The wife _hates_ how it looks. *I think it
would be awful to tar the rest of the wall, and I doubt the existing
tar will come off without a sandblaster (or a pressure washer so
strong that it would damage the cinder block). * Any suggestions on
what might look nicer?

Thanks,
Theodore.

There is an exterior cement wall paint that you could even out the
whole foundation.
I recently had it done in a situation similar to yours. Paid but
should have done the job myself.
First the contractor went over all the small foundation cracks with
silicone and then painted over.
It looks good and corrected several spots I had repaired where color
was never the same as the rest of the foundation and where some of the
original cement finish flaked off exposing tar coating. All now a
uniform white coating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:12*am, Harry Johnson wrote:
On 4/17/2012 1:36 AM, wrote:

Women hate everything that protects them. *This includes tar on their
foundation walls, and the men who protect them, including their
husbands. *The recommended procedure is to get rid of the wife, and thus
save the house foundation.

+1
Mod, make this a sticky.

Without a pic, it's hard to make recommendations. Possibly some kind
of additonal material could be
applied on top, but what's there is to keep water out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2012 12:02 AM, millinghill wrote:
I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the
house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block.
The previosuly underground cinder block has tar coating
(waterproofing) on it. The wife _hates_ how it looks. I think it
would be awful to tar the rest of the wall, and I doubt the existing
tar will come off without a sandblaster (or a pressure washer so
strong that it would damage the cinder block). Any suggestions on
what might look nicer?

Thanks,
Theodore.

May get posted twice as Google Groups post I made earlier did not show up.

I recently had my foundation coated with a white acrylic sealer type
paint to cover up blemishes like this or crack repairs I had made over
the years that did not blend in.

First the contractor covered any cracks with silicone caulk and then
painted the whole thing. Now the foundation is a uniform white and
looks good. I could have/should have done it myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all replies!
Photo of existing condition:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_6325.jpg

I also suspect this is bad condition because wind-driven rain can hit
top (unsealed) section of cinder blocks, be absorbed, and have nowhere
to go but inside.
Any product recommendations appreciated!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 9:08*am, millinghill wrote:
Thanks for all replies!
Photo of existing condition:http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_6325.jpg

I also suspect this is bad condition because wind-driven rain can hit
top (unsealed) section of cinder blocks, be absorbed, and have nowhere
to go but inside.
Any product recommendations appreciated!!

I can't see how far that wall extends, but I'd consider putting
one of the stone veneer products on the whole thing. The only
obvious issues are if the thinset or whatever is used will bond
to the coating that is there and the cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Apr 17, 9:08 am, millinghill wrote:
Thanks for all replies!
Photo of existing
condition:http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/Sam_6325.jpg

I also suspect this is bad condition because wind-driven rain can hit
top (unsealed) section of cinder blocks, be absorbed, and have nowhere
to go but inside.
Any product recommendations appreciated!!

I can't see how far that wall extends, but I'd consider putting
one of the stone veneer products on the whole thing. The only
obvious issues are if the thinset or whatever is used will bond
to the coating that is there and the cost.

The tarred area of the wall looks to be mostly parged, as it would be when
intended to be buried. I had a small area about 6" tall that was exposed and
tarred, across a 20 foot wall and I managed to use a wide masonry chisel to
chip off the parging. It was slow and difficult but I managed to remove it
all and then recoat it with a new color-matched parge to blend in with the
bricks. Depending on how well it was applied sometimes the parge will come
off in sheets, sometimes you have to chip away at the whole area.

Best Cement-Based Product for Holes in Cinder Block Foundation frank1492 Home Repair 2 August 5th 07 04:10 PM
cinder block cover Kevin Home Repair 5 October 30th 06 12:25 AM
Cinder block wall J Hawkes Home Repair 4 December 15th 05 04:21 AM
Sheetmetal to Cinder Block Sunworshipper Metalworking 2 December 16th 04 06:47 PM
What fasteners to attach wood 2 x 4 to Cinder block foundation walls Fred Zimmerman Home Repair 7 July 4th 03 10:41 PM