Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone bundle

Right now I pay
20 for phone
20 for inet
12 for cellphone
30 for Direct Tv

Because I am disable ATT gives me my land line for 20 month.
I got ATT inet for $20 first year and that is running out.
I was getting my cell phone for 12 bucks by being on a package with
family. That is over.
I got Direct TV for 30 bucks for the first year but that is running
out. It will be 68 bucks a month soon and the contract is for another
year. I get the Choice Xtra which I love. It has two stations I
watch almost exclusively (Science Channel and H2) and would be very
disappointed to have to give them up, but I could.

I really like having a landline. Although I don't use the phone much,
I really like being able to answer/use the phone all over the house.
Since I am considering some bundle packages I am open to Voip and as I
don't use the phone much I really don't resist giving up ATT much
anymore. My cellphone stays on the charger when I am home. My
cellphone use is very low as well, but I really would like to get
another low cost cellphone too.

Who is getting the most bang for the buck with a super sweet package
deal?

Because I still have a year to go with Direct TV I am hoping I may be
able to get into a package that will give me the Direct TV deal a year
early.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

The VoIP requires an internet connection. Whatever AT&T charges for the
internet connection can be overcome by dropping the charges for the
land-line.

If available in your area, consider cable for TV & internet. We use it here
for internet with download speeds in excess of 25mb/sec (and upload of
3+mb/sec).

You can get out of your DirectTV contract by sending back the latest bill
with a notation: "Subscriber is dead."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 06:04:44 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

That is such a great connection. I only switched from Charter because
they complained about my usage. I had just bought a HDTV and an HD
computer/screen. I was re downloading stuff I had already seen just
to see it in HD. I could keep my usage down by not doing as much HD,
but it doesn't make much since to have 25mb/sec speeds and a 200 G
monthly limit. I was against the cap and voted with my feet.

You can get out of your DirectTV contract by sending back the latest bill
with a notation: "Subscriber is dead."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/01/12 08:32 am, Metspitzer wrote:

If available in your area, consider cable for TV& internet. We use it here
for internet with download speeds in excess of 25mb/sec (and upload of
3+mb/sec).

That is such a great connection. I only switched from Charter because
they complained about my usage. I had just bought a HDTV and an HD
computer/screen. I was re downloading stuff I had already seen just
to see it in HD. I could keep my usage down by not doing as much HD,
but it doesn't make much since to have 25mb/sec speeds and a 200 G
monthly limit. I was against the cap and voted with my feet.

We have Charter for Internet. We're supposed to get 18Mbps down and
3Mbps up, but I usually measure 30+ down and sometimes even in the 40s.
I've never heard about any cap.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:32:45 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 04/01/12 08:32 am, Metspitzer wrote:

If available in your area, consider cable for TV& internet. We use it here
for internet with download speeds in excess of 25mb/sec (and upload of
3+mb/sec).

That is such a great connection. I only switched from Charter because
they complained about my usage. I had just bought a HDTV and an HD
computer/screen. I was re downloading stuff I had already seen just
to see it in HD. I could keep my usage down by not doing as much HD,
but it doesn't make much since to have 25mb/sec speeds and a 200 G
monthly limit. I was against the cap and voted with my feet.

We have Charter for Internet. We're supposed to get 18Mbps down and
3Mbps up, but I usually measure 30+ down and sometimes even in the 40s.
I've never heard about any cap.

Perce

Use this free for a month: And then 20 bucks to use current version
for ever. I think this will probably be the last version as it is
finished. It does NZB automatically.
http://www.newsleecher.com/

Use nntp.charter.net as your NZB server

Then this: Totally free
http://www.nzbindex.nl/

Tell us what your cap is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2012 10:32 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 04/01/12 08:32 am, Metspitzer wrote:

If available in your area, consider cable for TV& internet. We use it
here
for internet with download speeds in excess of 25mb/sec (and upload of
3+mb/sec).

That is such a great connection. I only switched from Charter because
they complained about my usage. I had just bought a HDTV and an HD
computer/screen. I was re downloading stuff I had already seen just
to see it in HD. I could keep my usage down by not doing as much HD,
but it doesn't make much since to have 25mb/sec speeds and a 200 G
monthly limit. I was against the cap and voted with my feet.

We have Charter for Internet. We're supposed to get 18Mbps down and
3Mbps up, but I usually measure 30+ down and sometimes even in the 40s.
I've never heard about any cap.

Perce

Both Charter and comcast call the initial start of download (or running
a speedtest) temporary boost in speed you are seeing "powerboost".

Charter caps he

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...articleid=2124

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2012 10:25 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Why not just get rid of the landline? Then get one of the various BT to
home phone adapters. That kills off one bill and you can use your
existing home phones to call via your cellphone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:40:51 -0400, George
wrote:

[...]

Those look handy.

I was also reading this:
Industry pundits predict that the next generation of cell phones will
all include built-in Wi-Fi. With these hybrid or dual-mode phones,
you’ll be able to seamlessly switch between cellular and VoIP over
Wi-Fi when you come into range of a Wi-Fi hotspot, even within the
same phone call.

Landlines are expected to all but disappear as the hybrid phones
become a single solution for telephony, operating off the user’s Wi-Fi
network at home and using cellular technology when there is no Wi-Fi
network within range. This is predicted to lower the total cost of
telephone service.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...r-wireless/205

I don't need a smart phone, but I really want one
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

telephone service.http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...-should-know-a...

I don't need a smart phone, but I really want one *

republic wireless has begun rolling out a wi fi cell phone combo for
19 bucks a month unlimited. beta is closed as of today but supposed to
open again soon
Posted to alt.home.repair

Landlines are expected to all but disappear as the hybrid phones
become a single solution for telephony, operating off the user’s Wi-Fi
network at home and using cellular technology when there is no Wi-Fi
network within range. This is predicted to lower the total cost of
telephone service.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...r-wireless/205

I don't need a smart phone, but I really want one

Land lines are starting to only make sense where the electric power is
subject to disruption.

Folks with reliable power are dropping land line coverage right and
left. Many have a "house" cell phone which, literally, never leaves
the house. Each family member also has a cell.

IF I had high speed internet I might be tempted to go with VOIP
(MagisJack is good). If the equipment needs utility power I would
arrange UPS.