Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's that clear coating used on tables and bars called?

It's a very thick coating. People embed coins, photos and all sorts of
objects in it. I've seen it used mostly in bars and restaurants on the
bar or tables. It kind of looks like varnish but it's much thicker.
What is it called? It seemed to be a fad in the 1970's but I still see
it quite a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 3:22*am, wrote:
It's a very thick coating. *People embed coins, photos and all sorts of
objects in it. *I've seen it used mostly in bars and restaurants on the
bar or tables. *It kind of looks like varnish but it's much thicker.
What is it called? *It seemed to be a fad in the 1970's but I still see
it quite a bit.

I used the stuff you are referring to, but I can't remember the name.
Call a local custom paint suppier, they should be able to tell you.
Not Home Depot or Sherman Williams.

Good luck.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
It's a very thick coating. People embed coins, photos and all sorts of
objects in it. I've seen it used mostly in bars and restaurants on the
bar or tables. It kind of looks like varnish but it's much thicker.
What is it called? It seemed to be a fad in the 1970's but I still see
it quite a bit.

in the 1970 it was Polyurethane Clear Coat for Floors.

1990 to 2010 we use Epoxy Clear Coat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy

Available Colors:
Clear.
epoxy dispersed pigments in black,
white, red, yellow, blue, brown,
and green so you can make your own colored epoxy.

Clear Coat is an extremely low viscosity,
water white, "penetrating" epoxy system.
Clear Coat cures to a brilliantly clear,
very tough finish without the usual "amine blush"
associated with some epoxy resin films.
Clear Coat contains no volatile solvents.

Turbo Cure may be added speed up cures during cold weather.
Use a maximum of 1 fluid ounce per quart of resin.

Recommended Uses:
Clear Coat is ideal for clear coating wood,
and the wetting out of fiberglass cloth for bright finished boats.
Use as a build coat for clear linear polyurethane or varnish coatings and as a penetrating first coat for blister repair on
fiberglass boats.
Use also for those applications that require a long pot life and low viscosity.
Use Clear Coat as the sole epoxy system to make wood strip canoes and kayaks.
Protect Clear Coat from moisture during cure to avoid water spotting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It's a very thick coating. People embed coins, photos and all sorts
of objects in it. I've seen it used mostly in bars and restaurants
on the bar or tables. It kind of looks like varnish but it's much
thicker. What is it called? It seemed to be a fad in the 1970's but
I still see it quite a bit.

Casting resin. Usually, polyester resin. Like this (scroll down about 1/3
page)...

http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:26*am, "Hot-Text" wrote:
wrote in messagenews:m9q5m7lee20f0nbscgpu7dohpmtn4ngliu@4ax .com...
[...]

Or perhaps this?

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/m...=Casting_Resin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:22:08 -0600, wrote:

Nym-shifted again. ("jw")

Clear coating for metal outside Mil-C-85054 [email protected] Metalworking 1 June 28th 08 02:42 PM
Panic bars Charles Bishop Home Repair 0 August 12th 05 01:35 AM
Ozone generator to clear mold, will it clear termites too? Miki Home Ownership 2 January 8th 05 01:08 PM
draining CH after Fernox Restorer - how clear is clear? dave @ stejonda UK diy 5 June 27th 04 09:28 AM
Sony strange vertical bars (not the dreaded scrolling bars!)? Jon Paterson Electronics Repair 2 July 17th 03 11:14 PM