Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Food for a year

I just accidently ran aross a Sam's Club advertisement for "Food
Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people" for under $3,000" . Just what I
never needed, since there are two of us, that would last us 2 years
and I don't think I could live for 2 years hiding in an underground
bunker..
Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd also need to store a couple swimming pools full
of water, and a couple hundred gallons of cooking fuel.

I've heard Costco had a bucket of food for some number
of days. People who tried it, hated the food and the portions
were sized for starvation diet.

You'd be better off to buy extras of what you already use,
and develop a food rotation system.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
I just accidently ran aross a Sam's Club advertisement for "Food
Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people" for under $3,000" . Just what I
never needed, since there are two of us, that would last us 2 years
and I don't think I could live for 2 years hiding in an underground
bunker..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:43:32 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

I just accidently ran aross a Sam's Club advertisement for "Food
Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people" for under $3,000" . Just what I
never needed, since there are two of us, that would last us 2 years
and I don't think I could live for 2 years hiding in an underground
bunker..

Have you seen the new TV shows about Doomsday Preppers? I'm sure a
lot of people will get all riled up and want to stash away a huge
supply. Interesting group of people.

I am sure the channel broadcasting the program will soon be selling prepper
food and other bomb-shelter gear on its website. )-:

I was disappointed to learn that one of the reasons that the value of
everything on shows like "American Pickers" might be so highly inflated is
that they resell the stuff they find on the Internet. It's like Gordon
Ramsay's shows looking for chefs. Those shows give him a source for both
new chefs and their new dishes for his string of restaurants. And it allows
him to generate PR for his restaurant, Hell's Kitchen. What a great deal.
You get new chefs with new ideas and get to torture test them while
generating PR. If their was an oink involved, he'd be putting it to use,
too. He's personally offensive but one hell of a marketer and
self-promoter.

I'm waiting for "American Home Surgeon." I can hear the promos now:

"In order to beat the high cost of medical care and surgery, we've found DIY
Americans willing to teach themselves surgery at home. Tonight, Joe Smith
performs a tubal ligation on his promiscuous daugter to keep her from
getting pregnant. After spiking her morning OJ with Rufinals, he applies
anesthesia, a series of cans of ether-based engine starters applied via
diving snorkel. He then sets to work with an Exacto #4 chisel-point knife
and a pair of knitting needles. Joe says: "Yes, the cat I practiced on died
a horrible death from sepsis, but her Fallopian tubes were way too small to
see clearly. I'm sure I'll get it right this time!"

Total savings over inflated hospital costs: $12,000.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:30:59 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

I don't know what "new TV shows" you are referring to (I watch a very small
amount of television), but there is nothing wrong with disaster
preparedness. Most rural people don't even call it such, it's just the way
things are done (and have been done for generations).

It doesn't even have to only be about food, either, and could include having
a few 2x4s/plywood/nails/screws available for whatever expedient home repair
needs to be performed, sometimes before you can get it fixed properly.

There is a difference between being prepared and being obsessed. These
people are extreme.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd like to see references for some of those chefs that he's allegedly
hired and that are at his restaurants. Even the winners disappear.
I've been to two of the restaurants
where the winners of Hell's Kitchen were supposed to become head
chef and they were no where to be found. No photos of them, no
reference to them on the menu, nada. If they were there, you'd think
it would be good for PR to feature it.

The whole premise is a joke
to begin with. Like a successful major restaurant is going to have
some
young punk that's paid $200K show up as executive chef? What
would that do to the structure, moral etc considering the existing
employees? Maybe one of the winners wound up at a Gordon Ramsey
restaurant for a bit, but I bet they aren't there now. As for new
dishes,
I think Ramsay hardly needs the clowns on those shows as a source
for new recipes.

*And it allows
him to generate PR for his restaurant, Hell's Kitchen.

Hell's Kitchen isn't a Gordon Ramsay restaurant. Or even a real
restaurant. It's a Hollywood creation used only for the Hell's
Kitchen show.
I'm sure the PR does help his other restaurants. Still not all of
them are successes and some have closed.

If there is a story here, it would probably be that the winners
don't really get the jobs they are promised. I'd bet instead
they give them something more like their salary for the year
and show them the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Heh! Heh! Excellent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just accidently ran aross a Sam's Club advertisement for "Food
Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people" for under $3,000" . *Just what I
never needed, since there are two of us, that would last us 2 years
and I don't think I could live for 2 years hiding in an underground
bunker..

who says that a disaster would force living underground?
ever read One Second After by William Forstchen?
about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the US? when food harvesting and
distribution will be DRASTICALLY affected?

It's a very plausible scenario.

Have you seen the new TV shows about Doomsday Preppers? *I'm sure a
lot of people will get all riled up and want to stash away a huge
supply. *Interesting group of people.

They may get the last laugh, but I'm going to take my chances that the
lights will still go on tomorrow.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Heh. Heh. Government scaremongering. They like you to be
afraid......and obedient. Like sheep. Baaaaah.
Wait 'til you get a Mormon president. You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

Heh. Heh. Government scaremongering. They like you to be
afraid......and obedient. Like sheep. Baaaaah.
Wait 'til you get a Mormon president. You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Could be. If we get a REPUBLICAN president, a lot of people, in many
hell-holes throughout the world, will be consumed with fear.

Plus a few in California.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:53:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

If there is a story here, it would probably be that the winners
don't really get the jobs they are promised. I'd bet instead
they give them something more like their salary for the year
and show them the door.

I certainly would not work for the clowns of questionable competence
he has competing on the show. My guess is they do "hire" them and use
them for some photo ops and the like. Maybe they do guest appearances
at places like the embassy in Bulgaria.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:00:49 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Where my check at? Where my windmill at? Where my 30 inch wheels foe
Chevy Volt at? Wutch y'all mean I cain't put no 10,000 watt stereo in
ma Chevy Volt? Dat ain't rite! o_O

TDD

You can't mount a gun rack in a Chevy Volt, can you? Until then, stay
away from all this silly talk about how perfect they are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where my check at? Where my windmill at? Where my 30 inch wheels foe
Chevy Volt at? Wutch y'all mean I cain't put no 10,000 watt stereo in
ma Chevy Volt? Dat ain't rite! o_O

TDD

You can't mount a gun rack in a Chevy Volt, can you? Until then, stay
away from all this silly talk about how perfect they are.

Them things ain't wurf a damn ifin you cain't haul hay in em. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep. The ugly truth is that no matter how much you store away, you
_will_ run out and then what. The doomsday scenarios where
civilization collapses _will_ resultit in around a 90% reduction in
populaltion and the only survivors will be the roving bands of
marauders. Not people hiding in holes.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You.ve been watching too many apocalyptic Hollywood movies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Long past time for the Supremes to rule on his list of exeutive orders.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

The President does not make law. The President does not produce
anything, all he can do is selectively interfere unless overridden
by the Legislative Branch. I realize that the P.L.L.C.F. wish BeeHO
was a king or Cesar but it doesn't work that way. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why is it so funny?

The President does not make law. The President does not produce
anything, all he can do is selectively interfere unless overridden
by the Legislative Branch. I realize that the P.L.L.C.F. wish BeeHO
was a king or Cesar but it doesn't work that way. o_O

Um, it's a grey area as far as definitions go.

Just today (March 14th), a regulation went into effect mandating lift
assistance for all public-access swimming pools under the Americans With
Disabilities Act. Entities without such a device - it's estimaged there are
300,000 of them in the U.S. - face fines of up to $100,000 per day for
non-compliance plus civil liability from anyone deprived of the ability to
use the pool. The following facts were evidently not considered by the ADA
folks:

1. While there are a goodly number of municipal and civic club pools, there
are a huge number at the YMCAs, youth centers, health clubs, spas, and
Howard Johnsons.

2. There are not 300,000 ADA assistance devices for pools in exitence.

3. These devices will cost the pool owners from $3,000 to $12,000 each to
install (the owners may need more than one).

4. Most of these pools (think hotels) do not have lifeguards. There will be
injuries, even deaths (think children playing with the device).

So, then, the President, through his delegated executive powers, can make
"regulations" which have the force, and sanctions, of black-letter law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2012 9:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why is it so funny?

[...]

Heck, I forgot about Executive Orders but can those be struck down by
the courts? The Congress still has the power of the purse unless The
President can somehow get around that. o_O

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The economy is improving"

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message

But this bumper sticker idea I heard last weekend still applies-
"Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive"g

Interestingly, the same people who told us the Volt was a swell deal are the
same ones telling us that Bin Laden is dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 2:57*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why is it so funny?

[...]

Tch. We have stuff like that over here. It's a new form of taxation.
You will have lots of speed cameras and spy cameras in car parks
next.
Computers generate and post the letter automatically fining you.
You're just copying us.

It's called voluntary taxation. You only have to pay if they catch
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 4:55*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
"The economy is improving"

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

But this bumper sticker idea I heard last weekend still applies-
"Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive"g

Interestingly, the same people who told us the Volt was a swell deal are the
same ones telling us that Bin Laden is dead.

How much is a Volt over there?
We are seeing a few Chevvies over here now.
No great numbers. The shape is unfashionable I think.
They might do better flogging Volts over here if they were cheap
enough.There's interest in electric cars but they are so expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where my check at? Where my windmill at? Where my 30 inch wheels foe
Chevy Volt at? Wutch y'all mean I cain't put no 10,000 watt stereo in
ma Chevy Volt? Dat ain't rite! o_O

TDD

You can't mount a gun rack in a Chevy Volt, can you? Until then, stay
away from all this silly talk about how perfect they are.

But it has EXTRA Latte holders..

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I forgot about Executive Orders but can those be struck down by
the courts? The Congress still has the power of the purse unless The
President can somehow get around that. o_O

Yep. Teddy Roosevelt wanted to send the U.S. Navy on an "around the world"
voyage to demonstrate U.S. naval ability. The Congress balked and would not
appropriate the money.

Roosevelt said: "I've got enough money to send them HALF way around the
world! Let's see if the Congress will pay to get them home."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Mar 15, 2:57 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why is it so funny?

[...]

Is that how they sold your slavery to you ??
How cute..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2012 3:56 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I forgot about Executive Orders but can those be struck down by
the courts? The Congress still has the power of the purse unless The
President can somehow get around that. o_O

Yep. Teddy Roosevelt wanted to send the U.S. Navy on an "around the world"
voyage to demonstrate U.S. naval ability. The Congress balked and would not
appropriate the money.

Roosevelt said: "I've got enough money to send them HALF way around the
world! Let's see if the Congress will pay to get them home."

I remember reading about that little stunt with The Navy. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:54:26 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Where my check at? Where my windmill at? Where my 30 inch wheels foe
Chevy Volt at? Wutch y'all mean I cain't put no 10,000 watt stereo in
ma Chevy Volt? Dat ain't rite! o_O

TDD

You can't mount a gun rack in a Chevy Volt, can you? Until then, stay
away from all this silly talk about how perfect they are.

But it has EXTRA Latte holders..

Generates even more smug than the Toyota Pious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:18:35 -0400, "
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:54:26 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Where my check at? Where my windmill at? Where my 30 inch wheels foe
Chevy Volt at? Wutch y'all mean I cain't put no 10,000 watt stereo in
ma Chevy Volt? Dat ain't rite! o_O

TDD

You can't mount a gun rack in a Chevy Volt, can you? Until then, stay
away from all this silly talk about how perfect they are.

But it has EXTRA Latte holders..

Generates even more smug than the Toyota Pious.

.... and not enough passenger for my hound dog
Posted to alt.home.repair

Attila.Iskander wrote:

Highly doubtful on 4 grounds
1) a "nutcase religion Republican" wouldn't get elected
2) It was religious people who implemented separation the notion of
Church and State
3) By DEFINITION, the Republicans are far closer to the ideal of a
Republic than the Metrosexuals on the left
4) History shows that it's the "secular left" that has caused the
most misery in the world during the last 100 years. A degree of
killing that has been unequaled by ALL the previous deaths due to
TRUE religious beliefs, and not political beliefs masquerading behind
religion,

Um, this country was FOUNDED by religious fanatics with guns!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 9:07*pm, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Mar 15, 2:57 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why is it so funny?

[...]

* * How cute..- Hide quoted text -

There's nobody more enslaved than Americans.
They have stolen all your money and even the roofs over the heads of
some.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 2:48*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Attila.Iskander wrote:

Highly doubtful on 4 grounds
1) * *a "nutcase religion Republican" wouldn't get elected
2) * *It was religious people who implemented separation the notion of
Church and State
3) * *By DEFINITION, the Republicans are far closer to the ideal of a
Republic than the Metrosexuals on the left
4) * *History shows that it's the "secular left" that has caused the
most misery in the world during the last 100 years. *A degree of
killing that has been unequaled by ALL the previous deaths due to
TRUE religious beliefs, and not political beliefs masquerading behind
religion,

Um, this country was FOUNDED by religious fanatics with guns!

And little has changed since. Still the same old superstitions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I forgot about Executive Orders but can those be struck down by
the courts? The Congress still has the power of the purse unless The
President can somehow get around that. o_O

Yep. Teddy Roosevelt wanted to send the U.S. Navy on an "around the world"
voyage to demonstrate U.S. naval ability. The Congress balked and would not
appropriate the money.

Roosevelt said: "I've got enough money to send them HALF way around the
world! Let's see if the Congress will pay to get them home."

I remember reading about that little stunt with The Navy. ^_^

TDD

Tch. What a stupid idea.
The British Empire was able to do that on a regular basis hundreds of
years before. In the days of sail and even coal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Mar 15, 9:07 pm, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Mar 15, 2:57 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Why is it so funny?

[...]

Funny the stupid generalizations you need to believe to assuage your hatred
of the US
But then you have been shown to be abyssaly ignorant

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, God bless em all!

When I was in government schools, when I was a kid. We heard that the USA
was founded by people wanting to get away from government run churches, such
as the Church of England.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Um, this country was FOUNDED by religious fanatics with guns!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: On swimming pools

HeyBub wrote:

[...]

"The Justice Department on Thursday issued a 60-day stay of execution for
hundreds of thousands of public pools which had been required to install
ramps and wheelchair lifts by today or else face lawsuits over violating
disability laws."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...n-avoided-now/

How the Justice Department can do this is a mystery. If the law says you can
be civilly sued if you invite the neighborhood kids over to use your pool, I
don't see how the DOJ is in the loop.

Unless by executive fiat.