Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Intermittent leaks--is my home's plumbing haunted???

Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems
to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything is
fine, and leaves.

Then the next day, the leak starts again.

I call the plumber back, and again the leak stops before he shows up.

Rinse and repeat...

What causes intermittent leaks in plumbing like that? Ambient
temperature changes? Atmospheric pressure changes?
Changes in water pressure in the mains?

Or is my house just haunted???

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Silly. You need to call a priest, and have your house blessed. And sprinkled
with lots and lots of holy water.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven L." wrote in message
m...
Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems
to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything is
fine, and leaves.

Then the next day, the leak starts again.

I call the plumber back, and again the leak stops before he shows up.

Rinse and repeat...

What causes intermittent leaks in plumbing like that? Ambient
temperature changes? Atmospheric pressure changes?
Changes in water pressure in the mains?

Or is my house just haunted???

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

What sort of leak? Dripping faucet? Drip at threaded joint? Something
inside the wall?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote in message
m...
Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems
to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything is
fine, and leaves.

stuff snipped

Are the leaks occuring randomly or after you take a shower? If while in the
shower, be aware that a lot of water bounces off your body and can find its
way into cracks in the grout or caulking. The best way to find such leaks
is to either shower with someone watching from below (if you have an
unfinished basement) or to take a shower massager and spray each wall in
turn to find the leak.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dave M." wrote in message
Steve,

What sort of leak? Dripping faucet? Drip at threaded joint? Something
inside the wall?

Dave M.

He is right, a "leak" gives no information for us, or even your plumber, to
work on. It could be water in the shower hose or pipe that drips out the
shower head after a shower until it clears water in the pipe, could be a
crack or seam in the shower wall or base that is leaking, many, many other
causes ---- remember the reporting rules: how, when, where, why, who, this
is needed if anyone can help you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak
seems to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything
is fine, and leaves.

Then the next day, the leak starts again.

I call the plumber back, and again the leak stops before he shows up.

Rinse and repeat...

Wait until the leak stops. THEN, call the plumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave M." wrote in message
:

Steve,

What sort of leak? Dripping faucet? Drip at threaded joint? Something
inside the wall?

There was a leak inside the wall,
but that was repaired a few weeks ago.

Now I've got an intermittently dripping tub faucet. Or if I switch the
diverter to shower, then the shower head drips intermittently.

The valve stems were replaced just last September, so I can't see why
that would be causing a problem.

The reason I wondered about the temperature changes was that here in MA
where I live, we've had some wild temperature swings: Mostly mild but
interspersed with some really cold nighttime temps. And it was when the
temp plunged to 11 degrees Fahrenheit that I first noticed the leak.

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:46:53 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Steven L." wrote in message
om...
Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems
to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything is
fine, and leaves.

stuff snipped

Are the leaks occuring randomly or after you take a shower? If while in the
shower, be aware that a lot of water bounces off your body and can find its
way into cracks in the grout or caulking. The best way to find such leaks
is to either shower with someone watching from below (if you have an
unfinished basement) or to take a shower massager and spray each wall in
turn to find the leak.

Someone should be in the shower. The weight of a person can open the
leak at the drain piping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:46:53 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Steven L." wrote in message
m...
Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems
to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything is
fine, and leaves.

stuff snipped

Are the leaks occuring randomly or after you take a shower? If while in the
shower, be aware that a lot of water bounces off your body and can find its
way into cracks in the grout or caulking. The best way to find such leaks
is to either shower with someone watching from below (if you have an
unfinished basement) or to take a shower massager and spray each wall in
turn to find the leak.

Someone should be in the shower. The weight of a person can open the
leak at the drain piping.

I mostly had a leak when one particular person used the shower. It was the
caulking needed repaired.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:46:53 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Steven L." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Good point. I had a shower leak that caused me to regrout and recaulk
everything. It turned out the it was the diverter valve coupling that was
leaking and that water was running along the pipes and dripping down about a
foot away. Twice in my life I've seen the floor beneath a bathroom cave in
completely.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 4:18*pm, "Steven L." wrote:
"Dave M." wrote in message

:

Steve,

* * What sort of leak? Dripping faucet? Drip at threaded joint? Something
inside the wall?

There was a leak inside the wall,
but that was repaired a few weeks ago.

Now I've got an intermittently dripping tub faucet. *Or if I switch the
diverter to shower, then the shower head drips intermittently.

The valve stems were replaced just last September, so I can't see why
that would be causing a problem.

The reason I wondered about the temperature changes was that here in MA
where I live, we've had some wild temperature swings: *Mostly mild but
interspersed with some really cold nighttime temps. And it was when the
temp plunged to 11 degrees Fahrenheit that I first noticed the leak.

-- Steven L.

Put large pail or basin in the tub to collect the "drips" then you can
get an idea of the magnitude of this "leak".

It the amount is small, it could be just the residual water in the
pipe from tub spout to shower head.

My upstairs shower stall shower head will drip intermittently &
randomly for a couple hours after use but it's not really leaking.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 10:46*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Steven L." wrote in message

m...

Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems
to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive.

He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me everything is
fine, and leaves.

stuff snipped

Are the leaks occuring randomly or after you take a shower? *If while in the
shower, be aware that a lot of water bounces off your body and can find its
way into cracks in the grout or caulking. *The best way to find such leaks
is to either shower with someone watching from below (if you have an
unfinished basement) or to take a shower massager and spray each wall in
turn to find the leak.

--
Bobby G.

"The best way to find such leaks is to ... shower with someone
watching from below ..."

Now that's quite a visual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 8, 10:46 am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Steven L." wrote in message

m...

[...]

I knew that line was going to invite a comedic response. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 2:03*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Mar 8, 10:46 am, "Robert Green" wrote:

"Steven L." wrote in message

om...

[...]

the weight of a person may open up a crack or seam somewhere
generating a leak

splsashing is also a possible cause

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Mar 9, 2:03 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

"The best way to find such leaks is to ... shower with someone
watching from below ..."

Now that's quite a visual.

I knew that line was going to invite a comedic response. (-:

the weight of a person may open up a crack or seam somewhere
generating a leak

Agreed, that factor and the different way people shower and set the
showerhead angle can have a great effect on the leak pattern.

splsashing is also a possible cause

All our conjecture is moot. He says the leak is from the faucet. )-: That
could just be the pipe going to the showerhead draining slowly back down the
tub faucet.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:24:56 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

"Dave M." wrote in message
Steve,

What sort of leak? Dripping faucet? Drip at threaded joint? Something
inside the wall?

Dave M.

He is right, a "leak" gives no information for us, or even your plumber, to
work on. It could be water in the shower hose or pipe that drips out the
shower head after a shower until it clears water in the pipe, could be a
crack or seam in the shower wall or base that is leaking, many, many other
causes ---- remember the reporting rules: how, when, where, why, who, this
is needed if anyone can help you.

He's taking a LEAK on the floor at night when he's drunk. Then he sees
it in the morning.