Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF bench mill

Speaking of milling machines, I've considered this one from Harbor
Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-spe...ine-44991.html

Not too bad fer a small bench mill and only twice as much as a Delta
350 varidrive bench drill press.

I was an R&D machinist a long time ago and have worked on the best
equipment, but have also worked with some cheapo stuff. I used a Jet
bench mill like this back when Jet was new on the scene and considered
cheapo junk. Not the best machine I ever worked on, but I was able to
consistantly pull off .002" accuracy w/o too much problem. I think I
should be able to do the same with this rig, provided I get my glasses
re-tweaked.

Anyone have any experience with this HF offering or their like
sized/priced lathe?:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...the-93212.html

Seems the two of them would be adequate for what I need as an old
geezer hobbyist.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

[...]

I have one of the 44991 (Seig X2) mini mills converted to CNC. It was a
quick conversion just slapping big steppers on and using the stock
leadscrews but it works fairly well for non precision work. I've used it
for engraving on AR lowers, a camera pano bracket, making a master mold
to cast silicone molds for chocolates and some other odds and ends.

I do have two full size Bridgeport mills though and I suspect I would
not be happy with an X2 as my only mill, but my projects tend to be
fairly large. If you only do smaller model type projects you'll probably
be happy. The Seig X3 mill, the next size up is pretty popular, has a
bigger envelope, more power and rigidity and much better Z axis. HF,
Grizzly, etc. carry variants of the X3 as well as the X2 and X1 mills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-05, Pete C. wrote:

I have one of the 44991 (Seig X2) mini mills converted to CNC. It was a
quick conversion just slapping big steppers on and using the stock
leadscrews but it works fairly well for non precision work. I've used it
for engraving on AR lowers, a camera pano bracket, making a master mold
to cast silicone molds for chocolates and some other odds and ends.

I do have two full size Bridgeport mills though and I suspect I would
not be happy with an X2 as my only mill, but my projects tend to be
fairly large. If you only do smaller model type projects you'll probably
be happy. The Seig X3 mill, the next size up is pretty popular, has a
bigger envelope, more power and rigidity and much better Z axis. HF,
Grizzly, etc. carry variants of the X3 as well as the X2 and X1 mills.

Thanks for the feedback, Pete.

I plan on using it fer making lil' mini quadrocopters, like these:

http://tinyurl.com/7p886h5

.....so don't need anything large or even med scale. Jes fer fabbing
alum mounts, arms, etc. Plus, I'm on a fixed income, so gotta count
pennies. Still got all my tools and a buncha misc drills, bits, and
end mills, etc, enough to get me by.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-05, Pete C. wrote:

[...]

I found this on your copter link. Want to be Pwned?
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...gn=Interesting
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-05, joevan wrote:

I found this on your copter link. Want to be Pwned?

DOH!!

Operator error. Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/7p886h5

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-05, Pete C. wrote:

[...]

Don't forget you'll want to scale those up to do aerial photography. If
you stick to little point and shoot digital cameras you don't need to go
too big.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-05, Pete C. wrote:

Don't forget you'll want to scale those up to do aerial photography. If
you stick to little point and shoot digital cameras you don't need to go
too big.

Oh yeah....

I plan on getting an ARDrone:

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa

This will wet my aeriel photog appetite while I learn the electronics
and control basics and design my own q-cop platform. Also need to
resurrect an old cad box fer designing. No hurry. Jes something to
keep this ol' geezer brainpan from going fallow.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

See also: http://www.whispershots.com