Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default WTB bench mill near Seattle

Used milling machines are damn near impossible to find in my price range
here in the Seattle area, so I had been looking at the dovetail column
mill-drill sold by Grizzly (G0519) but just found out that it will be 4-6
weeks before they get any more in stock, so I am now looking at their small
knee mill, either from them or Harbor Freight. I had hoped to make a
purchase within a month or so.
With that said, I'd obviously prefer a better piece of machinery, so if
anyone in the Seattle area has a lead on one, or can offer any useful
(slamming the import mills won't solve my dilemma!) information about the HF
machine vs. the Grizzly, I'm very interested.
Real estate space in my crowded garage and my limited power service
obviously limit the size of the machine I could have as well, not just my
wallet. A full sized vertical milling machine would take up too much space,
unfortunately.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 01:23:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "carl
mciver" quickly quoth:

Used milling machines are damn near impossible to find in my price range
here in the Seattle area, so I had been looking at the dovetail column
mill-drill sold by Grizzly (G0519) but just found out that it will be 4-6
weeks before they get any more in stock, so I am now looking at their small
knee mill, either from them or Harbor Freight. I had hoped to make a
purchase within a month or so.

Carl, when I ordered my Griz G1012 woodworking bandsaw on a Friday,
they said it was out of stock and would be 4-6 weeks. The following
Monday, the Oak Harbor Freight guys called to arrange delivery. So
don't necessarily count on the 6 week delivery time. They get items in
all the time and 6 weeks is the longest delay you'll have if they have
to make one, ship it here, prep it, and ship it to you. That delay
they told you was their worst-case scenario.

I have 4 Griz (ww) machines and like every one of them quite a bit.
The G0519 looks like a nice midsize machine.

---=====---
After all else fails, read the instructions.
---=====---
Website Design and Update http://www.diversify.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Pete" wrote in message
| How about driving 1 1/2 hours north and go to Busy Bee machine tools in
| Burnaby they have the same as Griz only cheaper when you look at the CDN /
| USA $ difference, you have an 18% advantage right now. Crossing the border
| with machine tools is no big deal.
|
| http://www.busybeetools.com/
|
| Pete

I didn't realize they were so close. I'll check it out!