Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oven went out

We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2012 3:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on.

It would be a coincidence if the oven came back on when you
disturbed the breaker.
I'd vote for the breaker, or loose wire at the breaker.

Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips writes:

We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?

Yes.

The oven going off and on by touching the breaker raises the
probability a lot.

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2012 6:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?

If running your hand down the breaker turned it back on there is a good
possibility that the breaker has gone bad or one of the wires has burned
off at the breaker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2012 6:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on.

Try caressing your breakers again, this time with a firmer touch. Maybe
vary the speed a bit and see if the oven gets hot.

My guess is that there is a loose connection either where the breaker
mounts to the buss or where the wire mounts to the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 03/04/2012 05:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?

If you have a neon tester, voltmeter, etc., check whether there's power
at the plug the oven utilizes -- both sides of the line (assuming a 240
volt oven -- btw, two ganged breakers are implicated, and either one can
defeat the oven). If it's too hard to get at the plug (heavy oven +/-)
you can check at the breaker(s) to determine whether they're the
problem. Be very careful poking around in there; get help if you don't
have a clue what you're doing.

Another thought -- breakers are a lot cheaper (generally) and easier to
swap (given some aptitude in that arena) than ovens. Either one can go
bad, especially over 15 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 7:04*pm, cjt wrote:
[...]

The OP did not say, but everyone has assumed an electric stove/oven.
The OP did not say if the stove elements do/do not work if it is
electric. THis is very important information that is missing.

No one has suggested turning the breaker to the off position, and then
pushing it even harder toward OFF, and, then turning it back on. If
this doesn't fix things, then the cover on the breaker box needs to
come off so the wiring can be inspected. If you are not VERY familiar
with working on AC power, get a neighbor who is handy and who has a
voltmeter to come to check if the circuit to the oven is on. Simply
checking for voltage at the oven/stove outlet without some sort of a
load on the circuit can give erroneous readings since a bad connection
could give voltage, but under load the bad connection would not allow
any appreciable current to flow. I would start by checking voltage at
the output of the breaker with the stove elements turned on, if ok,
and the stove heats up, the problem is in the oven portion of the
stove. If no voltage with the stove turned on, turn everything on the
stove off and see if the voltage is restored. If is it, the breaker
is bad or there is a lousy connection somewhere in the breakaer
circuit. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not many people have a spare double 50 breaker.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the oven breaker a double 50?

What brand of breaker panel? Probaly Federal Pacific Electric Stabloc?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

He may not, but he may have a 40 for the dryer. It is enough to
determine if it is the breaker or the range. Other checks are the top
burners. If they are OK, it is probably not the breaker but the range
switches or wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:38:35 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it
(it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the
circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the
breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and
back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times -
it would never come back on, so I switched it off.

The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With
the circuit breaker?

Too many variables but my first guess is the breaker but it could also
be in the oven controls. No way to really assess with what you
wrote. I once had a MAIN breaker go bad on a holiday weekend. I've
also had a bad breaker on a different circuit go bad and that I
replaced myself.

Another question is how old is the electric circuit panel? Maybe
time to consider replacing the who panel? I had a panel replaced
about 2 or 3 years ago and the electrician charged me $800 to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most people who have the skill to swap out a 40 breaker with a 50 would have
done so already. Not a lot of people know how to do that task.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

He may not, but he may have a 40 for the dryer. It is enough to
determine if it is the breaker or the range. Other checks are the top
burners. If they are OK, it is probably not the breaker but the range
switches or wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 07:18:53 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Most people who have the skill to swap out a 40 breaker with a 50 would have
done so already. Not a lot of people know how to do that task.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I presume it's the same as replacing a 40 with a 40, right? I don't
know tho if it's save to replace a 40 with a 50 unless you really know
what you are doing and I don't mean by that, just swapping circuit
breakers out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Most people who have the skill to swap out a 40 breaker with a 50 would have
done so already. Not a lot of people know how to do that task.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I presume it's the same as replacing a 40 with a 40, right? * I don't
know tho if it's save to replace a 40 with a 50 unless you really know
what you are doing and I don't mean by that, just swapping circuit
breakers out.

You can get a double pole 50amp breaker for under $10. Not much
downside to just replacing it and seeing if the problem disappears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 19:03:10 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

I'm not qualified to do that, so I'll call an electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

I'm not qualified to do that, so I'll call an electrician.

Probably wise, but those breakers in your breaker panel snap in
and snap out. No tools required but basic knowledge of how electricity
works is. If you don't understand hot wire and ground, stay away.

Of course if that's all that's needed, the electrician won't charge much.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

I'm not qualified to do that, so I'll call an electrician.

It's cheaper to trot down to the box store and buy a replacement breaker
(about $30). Here's how:

1. Turn off the power to the whole house. It's the BIG switch at the top of
the panel.
2. Remove the panel cover (2 to 4 screws).
3. Remove the wires to the paired breaker (2 screws).
4. Take out the breaker. They generally lock on one side and are
push-secured to the other.
5. Take breaker to store. Say "Gimme one like this."
6. Repeat steps 4 through 1 in reverse order.

As you can see, the only special requirement is whether your hand fits a
screwdriver.

If you follow the instructions above - perhaps with a helper to double
check - you will save:

a. Electrician service call $80-$120
b. Retail cost of breaker ($30 + markup = $120).

Let us know how it worked out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A wise person knows when to hand the job off to someone else. You sound
wise.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same
amperage.)

I'm not qualified to do that, so I'll call an electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd vote for the helper. Some tasks, it's wise to watch several before you
do one. This is such a moment.

Jan, please ask around. Someone you know, or a friend of a friend probably
has the skills to swap out breaker, and do it safely. Bub is a kind fellow,
but I think his advice is incorrect, at this moment.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

It's cheaper to trot down to the box store and buy a replacement breaker
(about $30). Here's how:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Most people who have the skill to swap out a 40 breaker with a 50 would have
done so already. Not a lot of people know how to do that task.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I presume it's the same as replacing a 40 with a 40, right? I don't
know tho if it's save to replace a 40 with a 50 unless you really know
what you are doing and I don't mean by that, just swapping circuit
breakers out.

Just to check for power, not a big deal. If you turned all the
burners and oven on, worst case is you'd pop the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 17:25:47 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Probably wise, but those breakers in your breaker panel snap in
and snap out. No tools required but basic knowledge of how electricity
works is. If you don't understand hot wire and ground, stay away.

Of course if that's all that's needed, the electrician won't charge much.

What is much? Some charge $100 to walk through the door. Ask first
what the minimum is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Two drink minimum, probably?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Of course if that's all that's needed, the electrician won't charge much.

What is much? Some charge $100 to walk through the door. Ask first
what the minimum is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Probably wise, but those breakers in your breaker panel snap in
and snap out. No tools required but basic knowledge of how electricity
works is. If you don't understand hot wire and ground, stay away.

Of course if that's all that's needed, the electrician won't charge much.

What is much? Some charge $100 to walk through the door. Ask first
what the minimum is.

If the electrician is an independent service tech he/she/it may give you
a break for something simple. You can always ask for more stuff to be
checked out if it can be done during the time of a minimum charge.
An electrician from a large service organization can't cut a deal
because of company policy. An experienced residential handyman should
be a lot less expensive to call out for a simple breaker swap.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Darn, you forgot the BFF, Big Freaking Flashlight. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2012 4:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd vote for the helper. Some tasks, it's wise to watch several before you
do one. This is such a moment.

Jan, please ask around. Someone you know, or a friend of a friend probably
has the skills to swap out breaker, and do it safely. Bub is a kind fellow,
but I think his advice is incorrect, at this moment.

Um, what kind of fellow is he? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Probably wise, but those breakers in your breaker panel snap in
and snap out. No tools required but basic knowledge of how electricity
works is. If you don't understand hot wire and ground, stay away.

Of course if that's all that's needed, the electrician won't charge much.

What is much? Some charge $100 to walk through the door. Ask first
what the minimum is.

All the tradesman I know make a first visit to my house to assess
the work and know what to come back with.

I don't get charged for that.

So if he charges $100 for 2 trips to my house, and maybe a trip for
parts, I'm not complaining.

I haven't met many rich repairmen either.

BUT, I do 99% of small jobs myself.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Flashlight!
http://www.disney.co.uk/muppets/cms_...-1920x1200.jpg
Flashlight!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Let us know how it worked out.

Darn, you forgot the BFF, Big Freaking Flashlight. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bub is the kind of fellow who can change out a breaker. I kind of think he
would kindly offer, perhaps being kind enough to trade for service in kind,
such as baking one kind or other of cookies, in the repaired oven, which
would bring the kindness to the home. Well, kind of.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
has the skills to swap out breaker, and do it safely. Bub is a kind
fellow,
but I think his advice is incorrect, at this moment.

Um, what kind of fellow is he? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bub is the kind of fellow who can change out a breaker. I kind of
think he would kindly offer, perhaps being kind enough to trade for
service in kind, such as baking one kind or other of cookies, in the
repaired oven, which would bring the kindness to the home. Well, kind
of.

I used to stand under the freeway overpass with a sign reading: "Will Work
For Sex".

I had to get one of those "Back at (clock-face) o'clock" signs to attach to
the placard while I was out on a job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:38:35 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

My oven goes out sometimes, with the fridge next door. They're a
mixed couple. He's hot. She's cold.

When it's out, do no burners work at all. Does it have an electronic
display? Does that work? Does the clock work. The oven light?