Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Doors Advice Needed

I live in Florida. My house was built in 1983 and the garage door is
the one that came with the house. I did have it "upgraded" back in
2007 - the door is the same but it was braced. The codes have changed
a lot over the years - starting with Andrew in 1992. I have been
thinking about getting a new door - it would be up to the current
codes and the door itself would be heavy and thick. (My next door
neighbor just got one). The bracing looks pretty much the same - he
has seven vertical braces and I have four. During hurricane season
when we have close calls - I have to bring everything inside that's
not tied down and it goes in the garage. This includes gasoline,
generator, propane and grill ... my house has been fitted with
aluminum shutters and I feel fairly safe because of that. I feel very
nervous about the garage though. I am trying to justify getting the
new doors.... would hate for the doors to cave in during high wind.
Just how much chance is there that the braces wouldn't hold the door?
Or that something could crash through it? The door is metal but very
thin ... any of you have any practical experience with this? I don't
want to waste money if it isn't necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 6:38*pm, Dottie wrote:
[...]

I said that the braces were vertical -- that is not correct. They are
horizontal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 5:40*pm, Dottie wrote:
On Feb 25, 6:38*pm, Dottie wrote:

[...]

horizontal.- Hide quoted text -

Are these part of the door, or are they put on in case of a hurricane
like the covers over the windows? Normal doors have horizontal
members at the top and bottom of each of the 4 sections. Additional
bracing would be either 4 braces, one across the middle of each
section, or some other weird configuration. MOre info is needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Attached or detached garage?

Damage occurs two ways: Impacts from flying objects and over-pressure.

The door should be able to withstand an impact of a 2x4 or garbage can
travelling at 60mph.

The door should also seal itself against the floor and some method for any
air that IS forced in to escape. In a hurricane, roofs don't blow off houses
as much as they are popped off like a champaign cork by internal pressure.

As for YOUR particular door, your local state offices - and even door
replacement people - should be able to provide you with the experiences of
litteraly thosands of examples. You're right; it's going to cost bags of
money to replace your door. Retrofitting (or doing nothing) will be much
cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

How has the door done during hurricanes over the past 29 years? If you have
had hurricanes during that period I wouldn't worry much about the door now
assuming it has not been allowed to deteriorate.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 8:41*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Dottie wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

The braces are extra. There is the usual top and bottom one that
probably came on the door and then there are four that were added.
There is a dent in the door at the top corner that would let some air
in -- there hasn't been a hurricane in my part of FL since early in
the century.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2012 8:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Dottie wrote:
[...]

If you have a Dade county approved door, you will get lower insurance
rates. It has to be stamped Dade County approved as your aluminum panels
are. (or should be)
I just went thru all this. My door is not approved and didn't get me any
lower rates. My panels are Dade county approved and lowered my rates
somewhat. Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

I got a discount because of the shutters and am seriously thinking
that the peace of mind plus the discount may make it worth while. I
have been cancelled by State Farm (everyone in my county has) and will
be covered by Citizens starting the first of April. The deductible is
2% which means it would cost me a lot upfront if I had windstorm
damage. That's the main reason I am thinking about getting new
doors...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Hurricanes usually come with plenty of advance warning. Easy to add plywood
and lumber bracing before it hits if needed. Garage doors especially double
width doors are a weak spot. If you are not able to install aditional
bracing as needed I would go for a new door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:50:24 -0500, Chuck wrote:

If you have a Dade county approved door, you will get lower insurance
rates. It has to be stamped Dade County approved as your aluminum panels
are. (or should be)
I just went thru all this. My door is not approved and didn't get me any
lower rates. My panels are Dade county approved and lowered my rates
somewhat. Chuck

The local codes really changed after Andrew. A number of building
inspectors were prosecuted for taking kickbacks....

The GD will be the weakest area. Fix it when it breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 3:43*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:50:24 -0500, Chuck wrote:
If you have a Dade county approved door, you will get lower insurance
rates. It has to be stamped Dade County approved as your aluminum panels
are. (or should be)
I just went thru all this. My door is not approved and didn't get me any
lower rates. My panels are Dade county approved and lowered my rates
somewhat. *Chuck

The local codes really changed after Andrew. *A number of building
inspectors were prosecuted for taking kickbacks....

The GD will be the weakest area. Fix it when it breaks.

I got a closer look at my neighbor's door - it is up to Miami Dade
code, just recently installed. It is metal - exactly the same
thickness as mine. He has one more brace than I have -- that's the
only difference. The braces are wide -- when I had it upgraded they
put in new wider braces than the ones that came with it. I also
bought an extra brace (2) actually. They are vertical braces... I
have to wait until I have closed the door before installing them and
they are a PITA but they do steady the door even more. I am going to
take my neighbors advice and just keep what I have for now. If the
chain drive breaks or I need some kind of costly repair then I will
buy new. Thanks everybody for your input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 04:48:41 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

In a hurricane, roofs don't blow off houses
as much as they are popped off like a champaign cork by internal pressure.

Exactly! Folks that seal up the home .. yikes .. hurricane.

The barometric (falls ?) pressure drops, creates a vortex in the home.
Then it lifts the entire roof off and drops in the back yard. Or
against the neighbor's garage door.

Avoid the pressure build up in the home during the storm. Partially
open a window on the leeward side of the house. The pressure
escapes..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:17:03 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

On Feb 26, 3:43*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

Yeah. I would also wait. You have months before hurricane season :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In a hurricane, roofs don't blow off houses
as much as they are popped off like a champaign cork by internal pressure.

Exactly! Folks that seal up the home .. yikes .. hurricane.

The barometric (falls ?) pressure drops, creates a vortex in the home.
Then it lifts the entire roof off and drops in the back yard. Or
against the neighbor's garage door.

Avoid the pressure build up in the home during the storm. Partially
open a window on the leeward side of the house. The pressure
escapes..

UL. http://www.snopes.com/science/hurricane.asp

There's a similar old wive's tale about tornadoes.