Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Garage Doors Advice Needed

Dottie wrote:
I live in Florida. My house was built in 1983 and the garage door is
the one that came with the house. I did have it "upgraded" back in
2007 - the door is the same but it was braced. The codes have changed
a lot over the years - starting with Andrew in 1992. I have been
thinking about getting a new door - it would be up to the current
codes and the door itself would be heavy and thick. (My next door
neighbor just got one). The bracing looks pretty much the same - he
has seven vertical braces and I have four. During hurricane season
when we have close calls - I have to bring everything inside that's
not tied down and it goes in the garage. This includes gasoline,
generator, propane and grill ... my house has been fitted with
aluminum shutters and I feel fairly safe because of that. I feel very
nervous about the garage though. I am trying to justify getting the
new doors.... would hate for the doors to cave in during high wind.
Just how much chance is there that the braces wouldn't hold the door?
Or that something could crash through it? The door is metal but very
thin ... any of you have any practical experience with this? I don't
want to waste money if it isn't necessary.

How has the door done during hurricanes over the past 29 years? If you have
had hurricanes during that period I wouldn't worry much about the door now
assuming it has not been allowed to deteriorate.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...