Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 way switch neutral wiring

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining the wiring. It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 way switch neutral wiring -- make that ground wiring in 3 way switch (see new thread)

Sorry I blew it so let me start a new thread and do NOT reply here.
Thanks!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining the wiring. It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?

It matters very much: neutral conductors should NEVER NEVER NEVER be attached to any
switch, for any reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 04:25:02 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining the wiring. It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?

It matters very much: neutral conductors should NEVER NEVER NEVER be attached to any
switch, for any reason.

Doug, I must have been asleep when I wrote this... see my later
threads. Replace the word "neutral" with "ground wires". Sorry for
the confusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 04:25:02 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining the wiring. It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?

It matters very much: neutral conductors should NEVER NEVER NEVER be attached to any
switch, for any reason.

Unless you have a double pole switch which switches both line AND
nuetral.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message . ..
"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining the wiring. It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?

It matters very much: neutral conductors should NEVER NEVER NEVER be attached to any
switch, for any reason.

I have several Intermatic line-powered digital timer switches that must be connected to a neutral to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 12:36*pm, "Dean" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in 44.100...
"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining *the wiring. *It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. *The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. * However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. * According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. * Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?

It matters very much: neutral conductors should NEVER NEVER NEVER be attached to any
switch, for any reason.

I have several Intermatic line-powered digital timer switches that must be connected to a neutral to work.

Touche, touche... That is a good example of a case
that a homeowner could come across where a neutral
is attached to a switch. The neutral is NOT being
switched, but it is attached. And I think if Doug thought
about it for a minute more, he'd probably agree that there
are exceptions where the neutral is switched. Not in
typical residential wiring though.

Need a neutral to a light switch PeterC UK diy 13 December 27th 11 04:46 PM
more home wiring: where's my neutral? Joe Pfeiffer Metalworking 6 September 1st 09 05:25 AM
Use ground as neutral on a switch Marilyn & Bob Home Repair 15 July 20th 07 05:02 PM
Split Neutral Wiring Ben Home Repair 37 April 17th 07 11:48 PM
Lighting circuit...switch live or neutral joey1522 UK diy 22 January 23rd 05 11:03 PM