Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 way switch neutral wiring

On Feb 25, 12:36*pm, "Dean" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in 44.100...
"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for
examining *the wiring. *It has one two wire cable and one three wire
cable going into it. *The white wires are wire nutted together and so
are the neutrals. * However the neutrals in this box are not attached
to the switch. * According to one reference, it says the neutrals
should be attached to the switch yet the author's own diagram just
shows the 2 neutrals wire nutted together and not attached to the
switch. * Does it matter whether they attach to the switch or not?

It matters very much: neutral conductors should NEVER NEVER NEVER be attached to any
switch, for any reason.

I have several Intermatic line-powered digital timer switches that must be connected to a neutral to work.

Touche, touche... That is a good example of a case
that a homeowner could come across where a neutral
is attached to a switch. The neutral is NOT being
switched, but it is attached. And I think if Doug thought
about it for a minute more, he'd probably agree that there
are exceptions where the neutral is switched. Not in
typical residential wiring though.