Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Mower Will Not Start

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled at
all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a Toro
repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Freckles" wrote in
news
My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be
pulled at all.

When it cannot be pulled at all, take out the plug and pull the cord. Does
it pull OK? Did a lot of fluid shoot out?

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy
a Toro repair manual.

Toro dealer?

Thanks,

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be
pulled at all.

If it pulls, but then jerks the rope to a stop (backfiring), the chances are
that the flywheel key need to be replaced. Usually caused by the blade hitting
some object. Sometimes, the crankshaft will have been bent by the same impact.
The first is easily replaceable. The second, not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:27:02 -0600, "Freckles"
wrote:

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled at
all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a Toro
repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

The recoil spring may have broken. Pull the cowling and inspect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled at
all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a Toro
repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

There is a guy on YouTube who's made hundreds of small engine diagnosis
& repair videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

Check him out...

Erik
(Who has no affiliation)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled at
all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a Toro
repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

The recoil spring may have broken. Pull the cowling and inspect.

If the recoil spring is broken the cord will just hang out like a
dog's tongue. It would not affect pulling it out (turning the engine)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Freckles" wrote in message
news
My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled
at all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a
Toro repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

Google Toro model xxx manual. You may have to look at two, three, maybe as
many as four sites, but you will find a diagram easily. Take it apart
slowly, and lay everything on a table or flat surface so you will know how
it goes back together. They are not that difficult, especially with the
manual.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's one, comes to mind. Other is that the blade may be loose. The crank
shaft relies on the weight of the blade for flywheel action.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Red Green" wrote in message

When it cannot be pulled at all, take out the plug and pull the cord. Does
it pull OK? Did a lot of fluid shoot out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My lawnmower has a safety handle you have to squeeze to start it and keep it running- if you don't hold the handle it's really hard to pull the cord.

Maybe yours has something similar and the handle's broken?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:31*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Freckles" wrote in message

news
My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled
at all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a
Toro repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

Google Toro model xxx manual. *You may have to look at two, three, maybe as
many as four sites, but you will find a diagram easily. *Take it apart
slowly, and lay everything on a table or flat surface so you will know how
it goes back together. *They are not that difficult, especially with the
manual.

Steve

Take a lot of photos as you disassemble the motor, they will be very
handy when you go to reassemble things. Do you have much experience
with small motors?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Feb 23, 10:44*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's one, comes to mind. Other is that the blade may be loose. The crank
shaft relies on the weight of the blade for flywheel action.

Yep, about broke my damn wrist a couple of weeks ago because the blade
was loose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2012 6:27 PM, Freckles wrote:
My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be
pulled at all.

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a
Toro repair manual.

Thanks,

Freckles

As far as I know Toro does not make the engines. You have no need for
a Toro manual and it will not tell you anything about the engine. They
used Briggs and Tecumseh at one point. The work you are doing and the
manual that you need is a small engine repair guide. Most small engine
issues are common, no matter what brand.

Take off the cowling.
Blow, scrape, and dig all the junk off the fins.
Scrape the underside of the deck
Drain the oil.
Remove the blade somewhere in this sequence

Remove the flywheel.
Clean and re set the magneto.
Replace the shear key. (probably the problem).

Remove the carburetor.
Take off the sediment bowl.
Carefully remove the float and needle
Clean the bowl and blow some carburetor cleaner through all the passages.
Reinstall the float and needle
Reinstall the sediment bowl
Reinstall the carburetor. Make sure the O-ring or gasket between the
engine case and carb is in good shape to insure vacuum.

Verify that the winding spring is not broken.
Replace the pull rope in the rewinder if frayed any.
Tighten the winding spring as required
Reinstall everything.
Change the oil .
Replace or sharpen and balance the blade.
Replace the spark plug if you are inclined, but very rarely needed.

Should start on first pull with fresh fuel.
Should make the entire season.
May need another oil change if you mow over 50 hours.

Repeat each spring.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled at
all.

And then later it is good again? If so, I've had that problem with
one Briggs and Stratton engine, maybe two. . Never figured it out.

When it was working right, it woudl start the engine. When it wasn't
I'd have to pull it in some special way to get the rope to retract.

(This is not the same as the broken spring I also never figured out. )

Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a Toro
repair manual.

Just in case you didnt' see it. The guy's right. You need an engine
manaual by whoever makes your engine.

Thanks,

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.

It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled
at
all.

And then later it is good again? If so, I've had that problem with
one Briggs and Stratton engine, maybe two. . Never figured it out.

When it was working right, it woudl start the engine. When it wasn't
I'd have to pull it in some special way to get the rope to retract.

It comes from a combination of things. Rope wear. Rope stiffness with age.
Wearing grooves in stuff with the rope. Weakening spring. Dirt. Crud.
Loose parts. Wear. Age. Lots of things that can combine together. A good
cleaning and exam goes a long way. Look for the parts that have wear, and
see how that is being caused. See if rope is stiffening and replace.
Replace spring (not expensive even if it is good). Just look for the
obvious.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
If Freckles removes the plug to try and turn it over, I would hope
he/she disconnected it first :-)

Isn't that what an 02 sensor socket is for?

On a lawn mower?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:11:02 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

micky wrote:
If Freckles removes the plug to try and turn it over, I would hope
he/she disconnected it first :-)

Isn't that what an 02 sensor socket is for?

On a lawn mower?

Sure. It has a place for the wire, so you don't need to take off the
spark plug wirre to remove the spark plug. I haven't tried this,
buit it's worth making about joke about it.