Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default safe to start lawn mower after 7 years?

I have a Murray lawn mower w/ Briggs and Stratton engine, bought in
'97, used until '01. In '01 I emptied the gas and ran some gas
stabilizer through, and replaced the oil. It's been sitting in the
garage ever since. Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something? Thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:27 am, wrote:
Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something?

I'll put fifty bucks each on "safe as long as you keep extremities
from underneath" and "does not explode"... a fin on "does not start".
-----

- gpsman

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:27*am, wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower w/ Briggs and Stratton engine, bought in
'97, used until '01. *In '01 I emptied the gas and ran some gas
stabilizer through, and replaced the oil. *It's been sitting in the
garage ever since. Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something? *Thanks.

What do you mean , Put some gas stablilser through, if the carb is
completely empty it should be ok. You could remove the spark plug
squirt a few drops of oil in and turn it over a few times. Without the
plug in it. Then just put in new gas and hope for the best, the oil
isnt bad yet but change it after you know it runs and its run a half
day or so.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a Murray lawn mower w/ Briggs and Stratton engine, bought in
'97, used until '01. In '01 I emptied the gas and ran some gas
stabilizer through, and replaced the oil. It's been sitting in the
garage ever since. Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something? Thanks.

I'd be tempted to tip it upside down for a second first to get oil on the bottom
of the cylinder walls before cranking it, in addition to the squirt of oil into
the plug hole.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:27*am, wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower w/ Briggs and Stratton engine, bought in
'97, used until '01. *In '01 I emptied the gas and ran some gas
stabilizer through, and replaced the oil. *It's been sitting in the
garage ever since. Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something? *Thanks.

Didn't Murray ever ask for his lawn mower back?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Should be fine. If you're really worried, call a priest to bless it.
Or, take it to a mower repair shop and have them give it a tune up.
Don't mention the seven years bit.

Unless you're like the person on the news last week with the seven
year old lawn mower that exploded, threw burning gasoline every
where, and burned down the garage. Put the poor guy in the burn ward.

On the other hand, I could be teasing.

Alternatively, you could get an illegal alien from the HD parking lot to
come attempt to start it (claim "bad back" or somesuch) while you stand off
a safe distance.

I, too, could be teasing.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 5:27 am, wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower w/ Briggs and Stratton engine, bought in
'97, used until '01. In '01 I emptied the gas and ran some gas
stabilizer through, and replaced the oil. It's been sitting in the
garage ever since. Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something? Thanks.

IT should be safe as ever.
The grass should be getting pretty tall by now, though.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 8:57*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
No, he's busy selling bagels.
* *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFbU...eature=related

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Mar 25, 8:27 am, wrote:

I have a Murray lawn mower w/ Briggs and Stratton engine, bought in
'97, used until '01. In '01 I emptied the gas and ran some gas
stabilizer through, and replaced the oil. It's been sitting in the
garage ever since. Is it safe to try to start it, if I put in fresh
oil and gas, or is it going to explode or something? Thanks.

Didn't Murray ever ask for his lawn mower back?

No, he's busy selling bagels

Ahh...how I long for the days of the independent bagel shops, where
they (we) hand rolled each bagel just prior to boiling and baking.

I used to deliver bagels for a friend's shop in Queens NY, filling 70
- 80+ bags with 5 dozen steaming hot bagels from the coffins at 3AM,
boroughs of NYC, dropping off bags at various grocery stores and delis
- all before most opened for business. Old style - leave the bags of
fresh baked goods in front of the door for the owner to carry in when
he arrived.

I'd chat with the owner of an Italian deli in Brooklyn over a quick
cup of coffee, grab some hot doughnut holes from the bakery at the
Pathmark in Queens, and drive the 2 mile Verrazano-Narrows Bridge at
stupid speeds. The cops in Brooklyn would turn around at the toll
booths as would the cops on Staten Island. Never saw a cop *on* the
bridge unless there was an accident. Topped 100 MPH on more than one
occasion. Like I said - stupid.

The Bruegger's and Manhattan Bagels of the new world have just about
eliminated the independents, just like the Lowe's and HD's have done
to the neighborhood hardware stores.

Sigh...