Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will half inch thick Silicone Caulk harden fast enough?

I've got a project to do for the kids. They want to put a Unicorn Horn
on their pony for a project. I looked all over google and ebay and
found that the horns that are sold are either cheap paper cones that
dont even look like a spiral horn and will fall apart, or costly ones
made of hard resin, wood, or plastic.

First off, we're not going to pay $50 or more for these things, and
secondly, I think the hard ones can be dangerous. Their pony is about
as gentle as you can find, but all it takes is one spin of his head and
some kid could get jabbed by the point.

So, the thought is to make one. Styrofoam can be gotten in cone shapes,
but I think it's too weak. We dont want it to break if the pony rubs it
on a tree or something, and would like to keep this for future events
too. That's when I came up with an idea. Take one of those paper new
years eve horns, and fill it with Great Stuff foam. After it hardens,
take silicone caulk and coat the outside of it with silicone, forming
the spirals with the silicone. This will create a soft horn that wont
hurt anyone.

The problem I see is that the silicone might just run down the cone and
not retain the spirals. Also, I wonder how long it will take for half
inch thick (in spots), to harden? The plan is to use white silicone,
because I know it cant be painted.

The thought did occur to put it on in thinner layers too.

Originally the thought was to make the whole thing out of Great Stuff
foam, but the way that stuff runs and expands, and makes a terrible
mess, I decided that was not a good idea.

Ideally, making it out of pourable latex, using a mold would be the best
way, but there dont seem to be molds for this, and I have no idea where
to buy the latex. Another thought was to wrap twine to form the thing,
and dip it in the latex, but I'm back to finding where to buy the latex.

I think the cheapest way would be the Great Stuff foam and silicone.
Under $10 for materials.

By the way, in case you're wondering how this gets attached to the pony,
it will get screwed onto the pony's leather bridle. I'll probably need
to stick a small piece of wood shoved into the foam at the base to hold
the screw.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions & ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 4:12*am, wrote:

The problem I see is that the silicone might just run down the cone and
not retain the spirals. *Also, I wonder how long it will take for half
inch thick (in spots), to harden? *The plan is to use white silicone,
because I know it cant be painted.

That should work for you! It shouldn't run (if its base is flat, "D"
shaped to cone) and should be completely dry in a day or two at that
half inch thickness.

Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rather than silicone, wrap some 1/2" backer rod around the cone. Hot
glue the rod to the cone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 2:12*am, wrote:
[...]

I would build on Sonny's idea.

Make your own cardboard cone out of a plastic wrap or aluminum foil
cardboard tube or a wrapping paper tube.

You can from just about whatever length and angle you want.
Fill with foam and embed a wooden disc (hole saw leavings) with a
dowel glued into it.

Wrap the exterior with either 1/2", 3/8" or 1/4" backer rod or drip
irrigation weep tubing.
Secure rod to cone with pins or brads.

Use paintable caulk to seal rod to cone.
Let caulk dry and prime the whole thing with a water based primer.

Paint as desired.

As cool as the silicone culk spiral sounds....... it will be very
difficult to execute, an exercise in frustration.

good luck

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 23, 4:12*am, wrote:

snip

Ideally, making it out of pourable latex, using a mold would be the best
way, but there dont seem to be molds for this, and I have no idea where
to buy the latex. *Another thought was to wrap twine to form the thing,
and dip it in the latex, but I'm back to finding where to buy the latex.

snip

Go to SmoothOn.com and view their products for casting things. Good
company, been in business for decades. They even schedule classes for
molding all manner of things.
Should you decide to fabricate something, polystyrene foam is easy to
whittle, and can be wrapped in fiberglass cloth coated with epoxy. The
result is light and rugged, commonly used in prototype shops
everywhere. Caution: don't substitute polyester resins for epoxy. They
will dissolve the polystyrene foam quickly.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2012 5:12 AM, wrote:
[...]

Newsprint and wallpaper paste make great papier mache....crumple up
paper (for bulk) or use cardboard cone for basic shape. Mix up paste,
dip strips of newsprint into paste and apply to form. You can form the
spirals with twisted strips of newsprint dipped in paste and wound
around form. Do it in steps and dry in oven between steps. Can
incorporate a tie or whatever fasteners (loops to fasten to bridle?) you
plan to use. Paint, throw on some glitter or whatever. Would be very
lightweight but strong enough to bump or drop a time or two.

Silicone caulk dadiOH[_3_] Home Repair 26 December 27th 11 07:41 AM
Help! Help! Silicone caulk Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 13 September 22nd 07 01:08 PM
silicone caulk Patt Home Repair 3 June 26th 06 03:26 PM
silicone caulk MKnott Home Repair 1 November 23rd 05 12:32 AM