Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas cooktop slowness

About 10 years ago I installed a natural gas 4 burner cooktop. It works
fine except the biggest burner takes forever to heat 3 qts of water.
I still have my old electric cooktop hooked up (in a free standing cabinet),
and with a 7" round burner it heats that much water in 1/5 that time.
At installation, I installed a 1/2oz gas regulator on my cooktop and I am
pretty sure the local utility company furnishs natural gas at 1/2 oz after
the meter.
Anyone have any idea how I can generate more heat from at least one of my
gas burners? Without purchasing another unit.
I have been looking for a 1500W electric burner that I can use to replace
one of the gas burners my gas cooktop. I have the tools and time to do
this. Else I could accept a 1200+Watt self standing electric burner...can't
find one yet and I am unfamiliar with the induction types, which I
understand do not work with Aluminum\
.. in appreciation, thanks to one and all who may be able to provide
assistance. . .chas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:53*am, "Chas" wrote:
[...]

Did you size the gas lines for the demands of the
appliances on them? Too small of a pipe would
limit the flow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chas wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Do you live at high altitude?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 12, 9:53*am, "Chas" wrote:
[...]

Call the gas company and get a pressure check. As mentioned above,
undersized supply lines will be a problem. Finally, when the pressure
is right and flow is to specs, adjust the air inlets to the burners. A
big fluffy yellowish flame doesn't have much heat. Nice, sharp blue
cone flames are the maximum in any gas appliance, even welding
torches.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2012 10:53 AM, Chas wrote:
[...]

What was the reason for the second regulator? I think you might have
units mixed up but if the gas companies regulator is already at the
pressure setting of the second regulator what was the reason for the
second regulator which is also a restriction? NG pressure is typically
measured in inches of water column with ~ 6" WC being typical.

You could get the nameplate rating of the burner and making sure no
other devices are using NG burn it for a length of time and record usage
on the meter and see if it is producing the correct output.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 12:01*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:53*am, "Chas" wrote:

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

You can also build a u-tube manometer to measure
pressure that's very accurate out of a piece of clear
plastic tubing, water, some food coloring and a piece
of wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2012 7:53 AM, Chas wrote:
[...]

I haven't had a gas stove in 40 years, but I can give you some diagnostic
guidance.

Light the big burner and turn it up high.
Note the size of the flame.
Light the other three burners.
If the flame height doesn't change, you don't have a restriction problem.

Do some math.
Six BTU's will heat your 6 pints of water one degree F.
Depending on where you live, you may have to convert some of the units.
You'll need to be more precise than "forever".
Compare that to the spec of the burner. If you can't find the spec,
you should be able to find specs on a similarly sized burner.
If you're getting less heat than spec, you need more gas pressure.

I'd call the gas company. It may take some pleading to get past the
robot in the call center, but the engineering department can give you
some advice about pressures. They may even come out and measure the
pressure for free.

I don't have any specific knowledge about your pressure regulator,
but in general, if you expect to get 1/2oz out, you need to have more
than 1/2oz in. Something has to press on that regulator spring.
Why did you install it in the first place? Two regulators in series
at the same pressure may be your problem. You may not be able to tell
with a static pressure test. You may need to have the gas flowing.

I'd never recommend anybody mess with a gas stove themselves.
It would be really sad to create a leak that blows up your house.
Or get the flame too big and gas yourself with CO.

Are we having fun yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

My feeling exactly. A regulator recieving the same input pressure it is asked to
output is highly unlikely to be able to do so.

You could get the nameplate rating of the burner and making sure no
other devices are using NG burn it for a length of time and record
usage on the meter and see if it is producing the correct output.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chas wrote:

[...]

Before you blame the cooktop, you have to understand that while gas
burners allow rapid adjustments in the flame and may have high BTU/hr
ratings, they are much worse than electric "burners" at actually
transferring the BTUs produced to the cooking pot or pan. A great deal
of the BTU output of a gas burner just flows around the pan and past it
heating the kitchen, not the pan.

Choosing the largest burner thinking that it will heat the water fastest
may actually be doing the opposite since the larger burner diameter
relative to the pan allows more of the heat to bypass the pan. Do a
controlled test of time to boil using the same pan at the same starting
temperature, both on the largest and smallest burners. Quite possibly
you will find that the water boils faster on the smaller burner due to
better heat transfer.

Another option is a standaline electric "burner", or a dedicated
electric boiling water pot. If you go that route, get a quality "burner"
not from China (see a restaurant supply store), or a European brand
electric water pot (more common
there). I wouldn't try to modify the existing cooktop, that would create
all manner of safety and insurance issues. You can however buy a dual
fuel cooktop, but they are high end and expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:35:06 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Another option is a standaline electric "burner", or a dedicated
electric boiling water pot.

In Israel and Europe these are called kettles, and I've heard the
selection is limited in the US. But you only need one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chas wrote:
[...]

My granny often said: "A watched pot never boils."

Maybe if you quit watching the pot, it would boil quicker?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-02-12, Chas wrote:

Anyone have any idea how I can generate more heat from at least one of my
gas burners? Without purchasing another unit.

You might check to see if your range company provides different
burners (hobs) for your range, although 7" seems pretty large. Perhaps
larger holes, more flow, etc. I the gas range of one of my neighbors
has two different size burners, one larger than the other, which heats
much quicker.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chas" wrote:
[...]

You should be able to look at the flames and judge looking at other cook
tops.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:54:03 -0700, "Chas"
wrote:

The burners are tuned to a nice blue flame.
. . . .It must be a altitude and small cooktop problem.
I hate to have the gas company raise the service pressure (I doubt they
would anyway) as that would be expensive as hell in the winter...

Increased pressure at the meter would make no difference, summer or
winter. Once you have adequate flow, gas is limited by the orifice.
It will not burn any more, winter or summer, in any appliance. A
cubic foot of gas contains a given amount of energy and it will give
it up when burned. Your heater will have a regulator that will keep
it from too much pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2012 7:53 AM, Chas wrote:
[...]

It is possible to do some simple math.
According to your numbers, the heat value from your burner into the pot
is 300W. According to google, gas has 70ish percent of the transfer
efficiency of an electric burner.
That gets you to 428watts worth of gas.

Again, according to google,

All types of burners made for gas cooktops output different levels of
heat, which is measured in BTUs. Standard gas burners will put out
approximately 8,000 to 10,000 BTUs of heat. Heavy-duty gas burner
varieties found in commercial kitchens may put out heat up to 18,000 BTUs

If I have my math straight, your 428W is equivalent to a burner rating
of 1450 BTU.

Something is not right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:41:13 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Chas wrote:
[...]

Good point.

I havent' been watching his pot. Maybe it's boiling now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On furnaces, the gas pressure to the orifice is limited by the gas valve (I
think 3.5 inches WC). The orifice can deliver more or less, depending on gas
valve setting. Or, also can be limited by spiders nest in the orifice, as I
found one time.

As for the OP, calling the gas company for higher pressure isn't likely to
improve the stove performance. With a flame that maintains when other
burners are on, and flame is a good blue. Might be that's how the stove is
supposed to work.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Increased pressure at the meter would make no difference, summer or
winter. Once you have adequate flow, gas is limited by the orifice.
It will not burn any more, winter or summer, in any appliance. A
cubic foot of gas contains a given amount of energy and it will give
it up when burned. Your heater will have a regulator that will keep
it from too much pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 08:53:08 -0700, "Chas"
wrote:

[...]

Disassemble the orfice/mixer and check for a flake or scale
obstructing the opening. Some orfices are adjustable. See if flame
height is about the same as the smaller burners. If lower, too small
an orfice may have been installed in this assembly. I saw one stove
that had the larger orfice in one of the small burners and it was a
much higher flame on this burner.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]