Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.E Mr.E is offline

Default Gas cooktop slowness

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 08:53:08 -0700, "Chas"
wrote:

About 10 years ago I installed a natural gas 4 burner cooktop. It works
fine except the biggest burner takes forever to heat 3 qts of water.
I still have my old electric cooktop hooked up (in a free standing cabinet),
and with a 7" round burner it heats that much water in 1/5 that time.
At installation, I installed a 1/2oz gas regulator on my cooktop and I am
pretty sure the local utility company furnishs natural gas at 1/2 oz after
the meter.
Anyone have any idea how I can generate more heat from at least one of my
gas burners? Without purchasing another unit.
I have been looking for a 1500W electric burner that I can use to replace
one of the gas burners my gas cooktop. I have the tools and time to do
this. Else I could accept a 1200+Watt self standing electric burner...can't
find one yet and I am unfamiliar with the induction types, which I
understand do not work with Aluminum\
. in appreciation, thanks to one and all who may be able to provide
assistance. . .chas

Disassemble the orfice/mixer and check for a flake or scale
obstructing the opening. Some orfices are adjustable. See if flame
height is about the same as the smaller burners. If lower, too small
an orfice may have been installed in this assembly. I saw one stove
that had the larger orfice in one of the small burners and it was a
much higher flame on this burner.
--
Mr.E