Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas cooktop slowness

On Feb 12, 12:01*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:53*am, "Chas" wrote:

About 10 years ago I installed a natural gas 4 burner cooktop. *It works
fine except the biggest burner takes forever to heat 3 qts of water.
I still have my old electric cooktop hooked up (in a free standing cabinet),
and with a 7" round burner it heats that much water in 1/5 that time.
At installation, I installed a 1/2oz gas regulator on my cooktop and I am
pretty sure the local utility company furnishs natural gas at 1/2 oz after
the meter.
Anyone have any idea how I can generate more heat from at least one of my
gas burners? *Without purchasing another unit.
I have been looking for a 1500W electric burner that I can use to replace
one of the gas burners my gas cooktop. *I have the tools and time to do
this. Else I could accept a 1200+Watt self standing electric burner...can't
find one yet and I am unfamiliar with *the induction types, which I
understand do not work with Aluminum\
. * *in appreciation, thanks to one and all who may be able to provide
assistance. . .chas

Call the gas company and get a pressure check. As mentioned above,
undersized supply lines will be a problem. Finally, when the pressure
is right and flow is to specs, adjust the air inlets to the burners. A
big fluffy yellowish flame doesn't have much heat. Nice, sharp blue
cone flames are the maximum in any gas appliance, even welding
torches.

Joe- Hide quoted text -

You can also build a u-tube manometer to measure
pressure that's very accurate out of a piece of clear
plastic tubing, water, some food coloring and a piece
of wood.