Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Never place your phone in a microwave oven

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drying it, in case it gets wet?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Drying it, in case it gets wet?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

No.

It might be done as a test to see if the seals on your microwave leak. If
so, you could be exposed to the microwave's RF -- not a good idea.

The test is to put your cell phone in the microwave and then call that cell
phone from another phone. If the cell phone in the microwave rings, the
seals are bad because they are letting RF in. RF in = RF out when the
microwave is operating.

DON'T TURN ON THE MICROWAVE WITH THE CELL PHONE INSIDE!

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cell phone and microwave are different frequencies. The test might not be
accurate.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=67936

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tomsic" wrote in message

It might be done as a test to see if the seals on your microwave leak. If
so, you could be exposed to the microwave's RF -- not a good idea.

The test is to put your cell phone in the microwave and then call that cell
phone from another phone. If the cell phone in the microwave rings, the
seals are bad because they are letting RF in. RF in = RF out when the
microwave is operating.

DON'T TURN ON THE MICROWAVE WITH THE CELL PHONE INSIDE!

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote in message

It might be done as a test to see if the seals on your microwave leak. If
so, you could be exposed to the microwave's RF -- not a good idea.

The test is to put your cell phone in the microwave and then call that
cell
phone from another phone. If the cell phone in the microwave rings, the
seals are bad because they are letting RF in. RF in = RF out when the
microwave is operating.

DON'T TURN ON THE MICROWAVE WITH THE CELL PHONE INSIDE!

Tomsic

It's a "first approximation" test. If the cell phone's RF goes in and out,
there's reason to be worried and get an RF field meter or other test done.
The microwave chamber is supposed to be a Faraday Cage over a broad range of
RFs. Remember, harmonics are being generated too. The snopes reference
covers the subject quite well.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 7:37*pm, wrote:
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

So the phone can send out a text when the food is done ????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 8:44*am, "Tomsic" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Drying it, in case it gets wet?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

No.

It might be done as a test to see if the seals on your microwave leak. *If
so, you could be exposed to the microwave's RF -- not a good idea.

The test is to put your cell phone in the microwave and then call that cell
phone from another phone. *If the cell phone in the microwave rings, the
seals are bad because they are letting RF in. *RF in = RF out when the
microwave is operating.

DON'T TURN ON THE MICROWAVE WITH THE CELL PHONE INSIDE!

Tomsic- Hide quoted text -

If that's a valid reason for putting a phone in the microwave, then
shouldn't the warning say:

"Never turn on your microwave while the phone is in it as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Just putting the phone in the microwave won't cause the battery to
explode, so the wording posted by the OP is wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote in message

[...]

I think most modern microwaves are specifically tuned to reject the flow of
rf exactly at the microwave frequency by making the door seal 1/4
wavelength wide all the way around. Other frequencies are only rejected by
capacitive seal.

This all reminds me about I noticed my door is a little loose at the top
right latch. I have to try and fix that. I have several devices which can
detect leaks. They all leak anyway due to the extreme high power. The cell
phone only outputs 300 mw max on high power. The microwave is typically
3000 times that. 300 mw on you head is quite a lot. Remember in strong
signal areas, the phone lowers it output power.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote in message

[...]

On my 1970 heath kit microwave I built, the seal system was a little
different. It relied solely on a capacitive seal, then a last resort,
conductive vinyl seal. That vinyl always tended to melt.

ok, I'll have to put my cell phone in there!!

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:

"Tomsic" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, my cell phone rings in both of my microwaves, and my tower gives a
strong signal. GSM service.

By the way, an electrostatic cage, or faraday cage must have intimate
contact between metal surfaces at all points.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 08:44:10 -0500, "Tomsic" wrote:

wrote in message
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

There was a guy on Teen Jeopardy earlier today who melted his
cellphone in a toaster oven. Well, maybe it was on a toaster oven,
but still.

No.

It might be done as a test to see if the seals on your microwave leak. If
so, you could be exposed to the microwave's RF -- not a good idea.

The test is to put your cell phone in the microwave and then call that cell
phone from another phone. If the cell phone in the microwave rings, the
seals are bad because they are letting RF in. RF in = RF out when the
microwave is operating.

DON'T TURN ON THE MICROWAVE WITH THE CELL PHONE INSIDE!

Tomsic

Radio Shack used to sell microwave detectors at a reasonable price.
Maybe 10 dollars 20 years ago. It's probably still sold by someone
somewhere.**

At the time I had an Amana Radarrange Model No. 2. I got it
second hand because of a broken spring, and it looked exactly like the
pictures of microwaves that were used for decades, maybe still are.

Early models didn't have latches on the door, only springs, so I was
able to test the detector by opening the door a little, but not to the
point the swtich turned it off, and I could see the needle on the
detector move. I've used it for every microwave I've had, to check
if the door is leaking, etc.

** couldnt' find mine but....non-reusable card, 8 dollars
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lab-MD115-.../dp/B00176D3XW
gauge, better than mine $27 plus shipping perhaps.
http://www.testersandtools.com/Gener...e-Detector.php
gauge, better than mine $27 plus shipping perhaps.
http://www.comforthouse.com/micleakdetwi.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 00:29:40 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in :

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

If you put your cellphone in a Howitzer, be careful which direction
you point it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 7:29*pm, Red Green wrote:
wrote :

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

Immobilize? I assume you mean "inhibit".

Assuming that that even works, you would have to have a microwave with
you where ever you happen to be.

Wouldn't it be better to turn the location setting off on your phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snipped....

[...]

Any chance of your getting some leakage measurement numbers from your
microwave. It would be good to know what comes out.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in :

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

Hmmm. Depends upon the door seal and the other things already mentioned
here, doesn't it? ;]

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in :

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

Maybe true but mine has a simple setting to turn tracking off or on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the government or the programmers want to track you, that setting won't
"really" turn the tracking off.

Take the battery out, only way I know to disable tracking.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

Maybe true but mine has a simple setting to turn tracking off or on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2012 10:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

wrote in message

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

Maybe true but mine has a simple setting to turn tracking off or on.

What are the Mormins up to now?
Only a terrorist would worry about being tracked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A few of us still wish to enjoy the freedoms the Bill of Rights prohibits
government from infringing. The burden of proof is on the government. The
cliche "only a...." attempts to shift the responsibility. That's not very
American of you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Horace Greeley" wrote in message

What are the Mormins up to now?
Only a terrorist would worry about being tracked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in :

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize the
devices that allow people to track you.

Maybe true but mine has a simple setting to turn tracking off or on.

E911 tracking can't be "turned off".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 7:59*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 2, 8:37*pm, wrote:

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

To dry them, perhaps?

BTW...that's what a bowl of rice is for.

About one year ago I ran mine through the washer and dryer. It
appeared to be dead until the store sales guy popped a new battery in
and it came to life. They opened the case, dried it with a hair dryer
and it ran for another year - well, except for the camera.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2012 11:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A few of us still wish to enjoy the freedoms the Bill of Rights prohibits
government from infringing. The burden of proof is on the government. The
cliche "only a...." attempts to shift the responsibility. That's not very
American of you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.

In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are
*some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!

Get it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote:
Snipped....

[...]

I don't have a good calibrated device. I have one with a simple meter, but
not calibrated in watts sq. There is a standard regulated limit. I would
have to look it up.
Got to watch food build up around seal. Worst thing is your eyes next to
the door.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/12 12:17 PM, Bernt Berger wrote:

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.

In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are
*some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!

Get it?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
(1706 - 1790)

From: http://tinyurl.com/ykv9lbs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/4/2012 12:17 PM, Bernt Berger wrote:

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.

Well, at that time there were very few of anybody of today...

But, in case you were under a rock, there were Muslims that were threats
even then--check out the origins of the Marine anthem--those exploits
mentioned date from only 25 years after...

Q. What percentage of US national budget went to tribute to protect
shipping interest from these pirates up until the time action was
finally taken?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That doesn't justify violating the Constitution.

BTW, and totally unrelated to the Constitution. Muslims have been a threat
to the US since before there was a US. Think: Pirate.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

From: http://tinyurl.com/ykv9lbs

And the next time some Muslim nutcakes blow up an airplane or a
building, all the pacifist liberal sissies will be crying about why the
US government didn't do something to protect them.

From: http://tinyurl.com/ykv9lbs

Good point. The U.S. from its founding has always had enemies who want to
kill us -- Some have even turned into friends -- like the British.

I think the Bill of Rights has served us well. May we continue to be worthy
of its ideals.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:04:17 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 2/4/12 12:17 PM, Bernt Berger wrote:

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.

In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are
*some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!

Get it?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
(1706 - 1790)

The Constitution is not a suicide pact.

"The choice is not between order and liberty. It is between liberty with
order and anarchy without either. There is danger that, if the court does
not temper its doctrinaire logic with a little practical wisdom, it
will convert the constitutional Bill of Rights into a suicide pact."
-- Robert Jackson - Supreme Court Justice

....or if you want someone more contemporary with Franklin:

"A strict observance of the written law is doubtless one of the high
duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of
necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger,
are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence
to the written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life,
liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus
absurdly sacrificing the ends to the means.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2012 12:17 PM, Bernt Berger wrote:
On 2/4/2012 11:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A few of us still wish to enjoy the freedoms the Bill of Rights prohibits
government from infringing. The burden of proof is on the government. The
cliche "only a...." attempts to shift the responsibility. That's not very
American of you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.

In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are
*some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!

Get it?

Oh yea, abuse and terrify the citizenry to keep them safe. Government
agents must molest every citizen who wants to travel to protect them
but never profile because that is racist and may violate someone's civil
rights, especially if they're a terrorist. The people who support that
kind of government abuse have brain damage. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bernt Berger" wrote in message
On 2/4/2012 11:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A few of us still wish to enjoy the freedoms the Bill of Rights prohibits
government from infringing. The burden of proof is on the government. The
cliche "only a...." attempts to shift the responsibility. That's not very
American of you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

When the Bill of Rights was written, today's Muslims were not a threat.

Actually they were a threat when they were created 1400 years ago
You need to study up a bit more on that cult of death.

In case you have been living under a rock for the last decade, there are
*some* Muslims that don't like the US and they want to kill us!

Get it?

The very BASIC view of Islam with respect to everyone else in the world is
defined with:
Dar-al-Islam versus Dar-al-Harb.
The House of Islam against the "House of War".
If you're not part of Islam, you are automatically part of the "House of
War". And that means that anyone in Islam can make "war" on you anytime they
want.
In more simple terms, it's a STANDING DECLARATION OF WAR
So as long as Islam is around, and you are not part of it, you have a target
on your forehead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:03:35 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
From experience: Don't put a CD in a microwave either.

Ohhh, pretty!

Grapes are quite good, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Feb 3, 7:29*pm, Red Green wrote:
wrote
:

This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone.

"Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will
cause the battery to explode."

Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone?
Do some people think they're they edible?

Hey everyone. If you put your cell phone in the MW it will immobilize
the devices that allow people to track you.

Immobilize? I assume you mean "inhibit".

Assuming that that even works, you would have to have a microwave with
you where ever you happen to be.

Wouldn't it be better to turn the location setting off on your phone?

I just wanna see all cell phone wiped from the face of the planet.